Slick smokeless cigarettes suck (Toronto Star)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vince1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2009
Down South, USA.
TB's statement " It becomes your reality" got me thinking, this is very true. It seems I have programmed my mind to just accept that real cigs are not an option. They are not available anymore, so what can I do? Thank God for my e-cig every day. Suppose if the people in prisons where cigarettes are banned had a choice to use the e-cig? How many do you think would say"If it's not a real cig I don't want it" They would kill for one of these things. People who sit with a pack of smokes in one hand and an e-cig in the other may have a hard time making the choice. But those of you who still smoke real cigs, ask yourself- If there were no more tobacco products available, and all you could get were e-cigs,what would you do?

Vince1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2009
Down South, USA.
The statement I made above was to make one point- Freedom. Just like the person who wrote the article has the freedom to write it, she also has the freedom to keep on smoking cigarettes until she dies, Her choice. Just like I have the freedom to make a choice to vaporize. People will do what they want and I am not bothered by it as long as it doesn't hurt others. People have the freedom to go to Vegas and lose all their money, They can have that artery clogging triple cheeseburger, whatever. If I make better choices it is my right to do so just as it is my right to make bad choices.
I'm not defending what the lady wrote, only her right to say it.
There will always be people who just can't leave their "favorite" substance whether it's cigs, alcohol, gambling, drugs, etc. Take for instance the extreme in one of these addictions, let's say ....... A ...... addict usually won't stop using until forced to by jail or more often the case is that his connection has ran out. In this case what does he do? he goes for a substitute and hits the methadone clinic. If he really wants to stop the ...... he has a chance with the substitute and some will power but this all fails if he goes back around people who offer him the "real thing". With cigarettes we always have a supply and are never forced to settle for a substitute unless it is our own choice to make a change. Please note that I am NOT comparing nicotine to ...... in any way other than to point out the extremes of one type of addiction with hopes of explaining other types and their similarities with regards to human behavior.

Last edited:

Grandma Cas

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
Chesham UK
www.womens-words.com
I'm going to get my mother on them, but I'm going to wait until I find the perfect device for her, and the perfect system and technique. She's 65 years old, so she's not going to be filling cartridges, blowing out atomizers, dripping, sending back batteries, searching forums, etc.

I'll just fill a bunch of carts for her, get her extra batteries, atomizers, and check on her every day to make sure it's working properly. If I just dropped a starter kit off at her house, it'd be in a drawer within a day or two, and she'd be back on her regular smokes.

Don't assume your mother will have problems with vaping. Just because we are over sixty does not mean we have lost our marbles :shock:

Grody

Mar 1, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Well Grandma, my mother lost her marbles almost 38 years ago, right around the time I was born. At least that's what she tells me, although I suspect it was probably 2 years earlier, when my brother was born.

So I don't think it was age that did her in.

But one thing I have noticed with age, is her unwillingness to try new things. Her husband bought her 2 computers, but she wouldn't use them. He'd bring them home, she'd say "wow, thanks", and into the closet they'd go. It wasn't until I built her a PC, set it up at her house, and taught her how to use the email, that she gave it a chance. (Only because she'd feel guilty not to.)

Then I taught her how to surf the internet, and then I showed her how to print, etc. I used to get calls once a day with her screaming "my email disappeared", "why is the screen black", "it says I won something", "why is someone trying to sell me ......", etc. But now the calls are down to once a week, and she's loving talking to her friends, looking up recipes, and shopping online. (Well, she finds stuff that she wants to buy, then calls me to order it for her.)

So with e-cigs, I'll have to try the same strategy. First I'll find the perfect e-cig, then I'll bring it to her, then I'll show her how to use it, and then I'll check on her every day to make sure she's using it, and help her through any problems.

I am the heaviest smoker that she knows, (I smoke 3 for every 1 that she lights up), and the only other smoker in the family. If I get off the cigarettes, the pressure will be on her big time. She can either get on board, or suffer the incessant nagging of the rest of the family all alone.

If I don't frighten her away, and make it simple and easy, I'm sure she'll get on board.

Sad to say, but eventually, this poster will be grateful to suck on a straw... for oxygen, just as I was until I started e-cigs. :-(. The rapidity of improvement is nothing short of amazing! ;-)

Some people take to e-cigs quite well, while others wonder who the heck would want that over a real cigarette.
If I would have really been into smoking, in the way of trying different blends of tobacco. Instead of just saying: yeah, give me a pack of Marlboro's. I may feel the same way as the writer of the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread