Slightly reddish (or pinkish) and very peppery nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokyo87

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
Hello.

I have my DIY nicotine in my amber glass bottle, strength is 17 mg/ml in VG and the last time I put it in the fridge the color of the liquid was clear and now after a while is a little bit reddish or pinkish and the taste of liquid is very peppery… Is something wrong with this nicotine or is it just oxidized? Does nicotine became more harmful when oxidized?

I diluted this nicotine to 5 mg/ml and is fine for vaping, vapour is not of peppery taste.

Thank you for the answers in advance.

Reactions: Jdurand

whiteowl84

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2016
You are correct. It's oxidized. 17mg isn't concentrated enough for you to really notice the color (which is yellow, not pink).
At 100mg you can see a yellow tinge and smell it just a bit.
It's not more harmful, it just tastes worse.
Instead of using the fridge, use the freezer.
I have a 500ml of Nude 100mg/VG in plastic that is exactly the same as when it went in all those months ago.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
When you say it "taste" peppery, do you mean with your tongue? If so, it tasted peppery when it went in there. Base nic does not taste good on the tongue.

Nic. can get a slight pink tint to it and it is not harmful. It is most likely the result of a little oxidation. I have gotten nic. in fresh from the supplier with a slight pink tint.

Last edited:

Jdurand

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
I've had it come "fresh" with a slight pink tint to it. Not sure I've seen it turn yellow. At very low nic percentages I don't think you will be able to taste it over the flavorings. May be different in an unflavored mix though. Not harmful however, if you can stand the taste, feel free to vape it away.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Nicotine refined from tobacco has a peppery taste. Depending on the strain of
tobacco the strength of the taste will vary. Generally flavoring masks
the peppery taste. Some people can taste it anyway. Some like the taste.
Some do not taste it at all.

When one gets a peppery taste when none existed before it is because the flavorings
are breaking down. Nicotine will oxidize over time. Suspended in VG/PG it will
take a very long time. Peppery tasting nicotine is neither old,cheap or oxidized.
It is nicotine that hasn't been further processed to make it tasteless. Some people
do not like the taste,ergo tasteless nicotine is becoming very popular
.An Interview with Nicotine Expert Dr Jacques Le Houezec
Regards
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread