Status
Not open for further replies.

Dana A

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Iowa
I have been using the flanged Smoke Tech prepunched cartos for a year in my tanks. I almost never get to use one till it dies because I drop my Provari nearly every day and the 2 piece assembly of the Smoke Techs makes them come apart at the flange. I love standard boges and so after hundreds of dollars in expensive prepunched Smoke Techs broken I decided to have my hubby slot some standard boges for me. They work great with two slots but the problem is that they are tearing up my O rings when the slots go threw. Today I received a carto punch and it works but I need 2 holes and it distorts the carto so much that the hulk would be lucky to get them past the now new o rings. Does anyone have any advice? I know people do this stuff with success every day so what is the solution? My husband is out in the garage as I type trying to smooth down the edges of the slots on a carto. I cannot try it out now till I empty a tank as the Two I have cut down for standard Boges are full.

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
One way to protect your O rings is to use a "Slap Yo Mama" type tool. There's the original at Big Daddy Vapors, and I believe there are less expensive versions at other vendors. Another possibility is to use a "tank refill drip tip" (which is what I've been using lately since I gave hubby my SYM tool). DCT tank refilling Drip tip Several vendors carry similar tips.

When you use a punch tool just be careful to not over punch! It's not hard. If you are using the little Smok punch tool DCT Carto Punch then there are a couple of "tips" I found out. One...keep the metal shavings cleaned off regularly with isopropyl alcohol. Second...lube up the threading with a little Vaselne! Really!! It's made a world of difference. I used to listen for a "pop" sound with that tool, but don't anymore because sometimes I'd over-punch because I didn't hear anything. So what I do now is give the wing nut two full turns. Check to see how the hole looks. Chances are it'll be just fine. I use the tip of a dental pick to check to be sure the hole is all the way through. Works like a charm!

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I have been using the flanged Smoke Tech prepunched cartos for a year in my tanks. I almost never get to use one till it dies because I drop my Provari nearly every day and the 2 piece assembly of the Smoke Techs makes them come apart at the flange. I love standard boges and so after hundreds of dollars in expensive prepunched Smoke Techs broken I decided to have my hubby slot some standard boges for me. They work great with two slots but the problem is that they are tearing up my O rings when the slots go threw.

I use Boge cartos but I punch them. I imagine your husband is slotting them with a Dremel like tool which uses a abrasive wheel. IMO (not having done this myself), the issue will be the sharp edge left by the wheel. In this situation I would try to dull that edge. Options I can think of right now include a small file like one from this set or using a solid wheel for the Dremel like this one to blunt the edges.

Today I received a carto punch and it works but I need 2 holes and it distorts the carto so much that the hulk would be lucky to get them past the now new o rings.

What I do is take apart the tank, slide the carto into position through the lower 'O'-ring part, install the main tank sleeve and then slide the upper 'O'-ring part over the carto and into the tank sleeve. This way I am never pushing the warped area of the carto through the 'O'-rings.

Hope this all makes some sense!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread