Slow Cooker Extraction of Tobacco and Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarf-ace

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I have been experimenting with making my own Natural Extracted tobacco (NET) and I am pleased to say that I have a winning method. The slow cooker was recommended by someone on the Natural Tobaccos thread whose name escapes me (thank you, whoever you are!)

Here is the method as I posted it on that thread, with my addenda in blue italics.

1 Chop up expensive cigar and place in deep coffee mug. One Churchill-sized cigar, or about 15g of pipe or cigarette tobacco.
2. Cover with PG/VG in your desired amount and mix until you have a nasty-looking sludge. One ounce each of PG and VG is a good amount.
3. Place mug, uncovered, in a slow cooker half-filled with water. Cover slow cooker.
4. Cook on low, overnight.
5. In morning, turn off slow cooker. Allow to sit all day long.
6. Top up the water in slow cooker and repeat steps 4-5 twice more. Your sludge will turn darker and more fragrant.
7. After third cook, place an unbleached coffee filter inside a funnel, and place funnel over a tall cup. Spoon your sludge into the paper-lined funnel and allow to filter.
8. Repeat step 7 two or three more times.
9. Age this concentrate for as long as you want. Two weeks is good.
10. Dilute as desired. Mine was mixed 33% concentrate, 33% VG and 33% 36mg PG unflavored nic. That makes for a liquid that is nominally 12mg plus whatever nic comes from the cigar itself. Judging from the hit, I'd say 15-17mg. Obviously varies with tobacco type.

My first try of this method used a Montecristo cigar. It turned out amazingly well: rich strong smoky cigar flavor. I just finished a batch of Borkum Riff Vanilla Cavendish pipe tobacco and that is also yummy. Currently on the boil: Alexander's chocolate RYO tobacco. Next up: Alexander's Nougat Pipe and a Ramon Allones Celestial cigar.

I am also using the same method for tea. Because tea leaves expand so much with moisture, you need to use a lot more liquid, otherwise filtering it is going to be a beast. Good results with both oolong and green teas.

Next experiment: ginger, and coffee. Will keep people posted if you are interested.

Reactions: Winblows

scarf-ace

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The chocolate RYO is blissfully good. I am so happy.

The teas are great too but the yield was so tiny that it was hardly worth the effort. Definitely start with more liquid, and perhaps compensate with a slightly longer cook.

Up next: COFFEE! :D

scarf-ace

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nice Scarf-ace, very sound technique there.

I've been wanting to try an extraction for some time and this seems as painless a method as possible.

Thompson, trust me: if a spazz like me can make something fabulous using this technique, so can anyone :laugh:

At the suggestion of Skinniepost, I have used a French press coffee plunger to speed up the straining process. It works splendidly with one caveat: you need to have enough solid material for the plunger to actually press down upon. Otherwise the sludge will just sit there.

If the straining is not working well, you may have no choice but to put on disposable gloves and actually squeeze handfuls of the slimy leaves. This is gross, but if you're in the right frame of mind, actually sort of fun ;)

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
I'm ready! I can't find a coffee that I like yet!
The chocolate RYO is blissfully good. I am so happy.

The teas are great too but the yield was so tiny that it was hardly worth the effort. Definitely start with more liquid, and perhaps compensate with a slightly longer cook.

Up next: COFFEE! :D

scarf-ace

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The coffee is cooking right now. It is East Timorese, scrupulously organic and fairly traded and all that.

Quite by accident this will be my first extraction attempt using all VG. The reason is simple...I ran out of PG. D'oh! Poor planning on my part. We will see how it works.

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
So then. Does this mean we get some regular tobacco effect kinda like WTA but more varied? Like use organic tobaccos all natural? Hmmm good if so. Re: teas. Try Thai (Thai ice tea ground) its super strong. Another really strong good one is Constant a comment or even Irish Breakfast and also Earl Grey. When I get more organized learning I'd like to know more about this. So keep the thread going. Sure!

scarf-ace

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
So then. Does this mean we get some regular tobacco effect kinda like WTA but more varied? Like use organic tobaccos all natural? Hmmm good if so. Re: teas. Try Thai (Thai ice tea ground) its super strong. Another really strong good one is Constant a comment or even Irish Breakfast and also Earl Grey. When I get more organized learning I'd like to know more about this. So keep the thread going. Sure!
Fay, i have no idea about WTA nor would i hazard a guess.

My first batch of NETea was a Dilmah Estates Darjeeling. It was awful. If I try black tea again I will cook it for a very short time, because the heavy tannins made it unvapeable.

Throat hit is ok to good, but of course this would depend on your Nic level.

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
Hmmmm low tannins. Never thought of it. So maybe herb teas that are naturally sweet.
Whole Tabacco Alkaloid. It's another extraction process but narrows it down to just some of what is in natural organic tobacco. They use it as an additive, not a flavoring, along with nicotine. Didn't see you're from down under. Know little about the vaping scene there myself.
But I am very interested in DIY and anything safe enough but more closely natural organic like tobacco to vape

scarf-ace

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Rephrase... I know what WTA is, but I do not know if my hot-cooking preserves them or not.

Something else to note....this method produces intensely dark, almost black liquids. Even the green tea was a toasty golden brown. So if you have aesthetic issues with your juices being dark, best to try a different method.

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
Thats a good thing for sure.
Well it will be interesting to see how it goes because I am always learning new things. I do like things that are unique. So do you need to add nicotine to the tobacco items you listed? For sure I'm going to try Thai Tea. I make it at home and I did buy a venders Thai Tea vape I liked. I could start out just to beef that one up a little at time. It wasn't very robust and I like it strong.

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
Forgot that part. So good around the 30 mg mark or less probably. I'll particularly be watching for your ginger experiment. I can't imagine that alone, to see if you mix it with some thing. In the new year I'll be ready to concentrate on DIY. Still stocking flavors of choice and getting ideas plus I have too much juice I want to vape down. Just don't want to waste $ or be in a position to avoid ones that aren't so good and end up with old dusty bottles laying around. Good Luck! I really think the people who create juice are first in Line of importance in the ecig world. Creating devices of course is a close second. The ejuice can really make or break it all. I finally got 4 that really do it for me after 5 months but knowing me I'll want to change when they get old to me, maybe revisit at a later date

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread