Status
Not open for further replies.

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
Subscribed! Thanks for the link in the HHV tobacco thread!

So if I try this and hand out freebies to my friends and fellow vapers, would you mind if I use some variation of your name on whatever I decide to name my creations?

"Scarf-Ace Smokers Delight"

Or something silly like that? I like to give credit where it's due. :)

I guess I can shoot ya a PM when / if the time comes to make a few bottles of liquid for vaping :)

Reactions: PeterRamish

scarf-ace

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dam I'd be honored:) Although as I said, the credit for this method doesn't really belong to me. I was just the first one brave/stupid to document the process, from happy successes to dismal failures;)

I would like to take the opportunity to request that if anyone does try this method out, please share with the rest of us. I am very curious to see how it goes.

Jacoji

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2013
Portland, OR
I do have a couple of questions for you scarf-ace.

Why an open container in the water bath v. a jar with the lid on?
Why the heat/cool cycle v. constant low heat?

Thanks - and I'm totally cool with your answers being "because I do it that way and it works" - just curious as to the reasoning or failed attempts behind the current instructions.

Last edited:

scarf-ace

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Samuel Gawith Scotch Cut pipe tobacco. Description from the website where I purchased it:
A balanced selection of Virginias, Burley, Latakia and our own Empire Black Cavendish gives Scotch Cut a full flavoured yet medium strength smoking experience.

Once extracted, the Latakia and Burley are most prominent, giving this blend a smoky, spicy bite. If you like strong tobacco juices like Ahlusion Bluegrass Burley and Devil Dog, get yourself some Latakia-heavy blend. Some tobacconists call these "Balkan" tobaccos which is I believe a reference to the defunct Balkan Sobranie (my dad used to smoke this and that dry aroma lingers in my memory).

This is fantastic stuff. Sweeter tobaccos are usually my thing but there is definitely something to be said for the bone-dry throat hit of something like this.

scarf-ace

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I do have a couple of questions for you scarf-ace.

Why an open container in the water bath v. a jar with the lid on?
Why the heat/cool cycle v. constant low heat?

Thanks - and I'm totally cool with your answers being "because I do it that way and it works" - just curious as to the reasoning or failed attempts behind the current instructions.

There's really no reasoning, except that I think the condensation that drips into the cup helps to thin it a little?
The heat cool cycle...well that is so that I can stop the cooking process while I go to work, then start it up again when I get home:)

scarf-ace

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I really want to place an order with Leaf Only and try this out still! Been so distracted with everything else haha.

Tommy, I have heard nothing but good things about Leaf Only, but bear this in mind: they sell, as the name implies, leaf only. You buy a pound of Burley or a pound of Virginia or whatever. If you want a blended tobacco you've got to do it yourself. That is why I've been mostly sticking to finished tobacco products, albeit ones of a high quality. The blending is already done for me by pros.

Which is not to say I won't do "single-origin" baccos someday.

My first extraction was with Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic pipe tobacco. I followed scarfs method to the letter and trust me, it works. I can't really describe flavors but I will say this juice is as close to smoking as your gonna get. I've tried a lot of NETs and none of them come close to this juice. Scarf has never mentioned it but I think it actually gives a slight calming effect similar to analog (might just be in my mind ha). It also has a nice room note like pipe tobaccos have.

I did 34% concentrate 66% 36mg (60/40) nic base for a 24mg liquid plus whatever nic was in the tobacco. Throat hit is great! I have almost run a full tank thru a T3 with no issues.

One thing I would do differently is to use more VG. Scarf mentioned the water condensation In her last post. It makes the concentrate a little thin, so vapor on my liquid is not so great, but its my fault because I used a 60/40 nic blend. I prefer 60/40 juices and thought it would be fine for this but its not. Needs more VG!

Next on the cook; Dominican Glory Maduro a hybrid pipe tobacco of red and stoved Virginia's pressed with rich cigar Maduro leaves.:D

scarf-ace

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
My first extraction was with Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic pipe tobacco. I followed scarfs method to the letter and trust me, it works. I can't really describe flavors but I will say this juice is as close to smoking as your gonna get. I've tried a lot of NETs and none of them come close to this juice. Scarf has never mentioned it but I think it actually gives a slight calming effect similar to analog (might just be in my mind ha). It also has a nice room note like pipe tobaccos have.

I did 34% concentrate 66% 36mg (60/40) nic base for a 24mg liquid plus whatever nic was in the tobacco. Throat hit is great! I have almost run a full tank thru a T3 with no issues.

One thing I would do differently is to use more VG. Scarf mentioned the water condensation In her last post. It makes the concentrate a little thin, so vapor on my liquid is not so great, but its my fault because I used a 60/40 nic blend. I prefer 60/40 juices and thought it would be fine for this but its not. Needs more VG!

Next on the cook; Dominican Glory Maduro a hybrid pipe tobacco of red and stoved Virginia's pressed with rich cigar Maduro leaves.:D

I actually got a bit stupidly misty-eyed reading this. I feel like I have a disciple. :laugh: Thanks Woo! That Dominican Glory Maduro sounds fantastic. Keep us posted.

I broke into the Sam's Flake extraction tonight. It has a very interesting undertone of, of all things, Chinese five-spice powder :confused: It is quite tasty and suits the tobacco well, but it takes a few puffs to get used to.

Straining now: McClelland's Colombian Mocha,which is a Cavendish/Virginia blend enhanced with, yup, chocolate and coffee. :drool:

That's great Scarf, but I bet you have many disciples they just aren't giving us feedback... yet! Come on guys and gals tell us how its going! I'll say it again, if your thinking of trying this, just do it! It is without a doubt the most realistic vape there is. Last night when I went to bed my hand actually smelled like tobacco, that's keeping it real and I love it!

One thing I might add from my last post, after vaping about 3/4 of my T3 tank, the flavor changed and not in such a great way. It almost got stronger the closer I got to the bottom. Not sure why? Maybe residue starting to building up toward the end. Not a burnt flavor, just odd and definitely off a bit. I wish I could drip but I never have been able to do that very well. Not a deal breaker just throwing it out there..

Jacoji

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2013
Portland, OR
image.jpg

Tea blend out of the water bath and into a jar for steeping! I was a little heavy on the heat right at the start but it doesn't seem that I have destroyed the tea. It doesn't smell burnt or bitter and has a great licorice nose.

I know of at least one great store downtown that sells pipe tobaccos so after my tea test I will look into some tobaccos. For a while I smoked Davidoff and Imperial cigarettes and I know I will enjoy a "fine tobacco" vape. For now, I am looking forward to my 0-nic sleepy-time vape.

I don't have a crock-pot with adjustable settings, and I have the luxury of working from home where I can keep an eye on things, so I used my electronic pressure cooker and the keep warm setting for about 3 days, taking the jar (lid on) out to give it a swirl a few times a day.

Jacoji

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2013
Portland, OR
I went to a pipe & tobacco store/cigar lounge today and picked up 2oz each of 4 tobacco varieties to steep into my own glycerites today. Excited to give them a try. Hopefully this curbs my hardware "ooh, pretty, shiny" obsession a bit.

(Edit - I looked up what I purchased)
•MacBaren Symphony: Long matured to bring out this mild and cool superior blend. A very harmonious smoking tobacco. Ready rubbed tobacco of Kentucky-Burley, Virginia and Cavendish leaf tobaccos. All specially palatable tobaccos with a light, sweet, and cool smoke.
•MacBaren Black Ambrosia: This is a special blend of choice, fully ripe Burley and matured Virginia tobaccos. A mild and tasty pipe tobacco with an exciting aroma.
•McClelland No. 715 Raspberries in Cream: This is an elegant aromatic with the fragrance and flavor of fresh red raspberries in cream. Soft, light bodied, artfully flavored, this mixture of old American Virginias and Special Black is delicious all the way down the bowl.
•McClelland No. 2015 Virginia Flake and Perique: Made from orange and red Virginias to which enough Perique has been added to create a refreshing smoke with a satisfying richness and depth of flavor. Well-balanced, dark matured cake.

Last edited:

papercrow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
Baltimore
Any Teavana fans out there?

I got some Tropical Rooibos and Strawberry Lemonade for Christmas and decided to make some extracts today. I did 1 part tea to 2 parts PG and then cooked it double boiler style in coffee cups for 1/2 hour.

I am waiting on the 'official mixes' with the nic and all, but I put 2 drips of this and two drips of VG in the atty and it was AWESOME!

Thanks Scarf-Ace for all of your knowledgeable sharing. <3

Trick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2012
Round Rock, Texas, United States
Do you think your technique could be modified for raw tobacco that I grow myself? And if so, how many plants would I need to produce a liter of 100mg nicotine liquid, do you think?

It would need a lot of modification. There's not much nicotine in those plants. The average cigarette has around 1mg of nicotine... for, say, 10ml of 100mg/ml nicotine base, you'd need enough tobacco for 1,000 cigarettes, assuming you don't lose any in the process (and you'd lose a good amount of it).

The nicotine extraction process, if you're not going for efficient results, can be pretty easy, and isn't necessarily more complicated than soaking a bunch of leaves and then getting the nicotine crystals to form. Getting it in bulk, though, is the hard part.

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
Cold Turkey, I would stick to quality tobaccos. The pages of this forum are littered with the sad stories of folks who tried to extract a Marlboro or some such, and it came out just awful. Most of the chemicals are from burning tobacco or so I've heard.

I can attest to this. I used another method (heating VG in a small saucepan, tossing in some tobacco, and letting it simmer for a few minutes, and then cool, then strain and filter it) with some Jasmine-flavored Shisha about a month ago. The initial product looked like REALLY thick Tobacco Absolute--thick, black and sticky. It SMELLED wonderful--just like the shisha I used in the process.

But when I mixed a few drops in some unflavored nic liquid it tasted like the most foul thing imaginable. Bitter, chemically and just plain nasty with a throat hit like vaping chlorine gas mixed with fiberglass. Yuck AND ouch...

But now that it's beein steeping about a month, I tried it again. 3 drops of it in 10ml of 18mg 30/70 PG/VG, with a tiny bit of vanilla flavoring and about 3% ethyl maltol to sweeten it up, and let it steep for a few days and WOW. It was a completely different animal. The vape was smooth, sweet and rich--not quite like smoking shisha in a hookah, but it was flavorful and pleasant.

So now I'm REALLY excited to try the "ScarfAve Method" with some shisha, and perhaps sacrificing some of the fine cigars I still have in my big humidor (Like perhaps a Fuente Hemmingway, or a La Gloria Cubana, or maybe a Partagas Corojo...) First thing I need to do is get to a store and pick up an inexpensive crock pot though--I don't want to use the one I use for cooking food.

I'll be sure to keep y'all updated when I start my experiments. I have a LOT of high-end cigars, and I'm eager to see how they work as concentrates for flavoring my DIY e-liquids...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread