Small piece of 18650 cover scratched off at the bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincevd97

Oct 18, 2019
I recently got some 18650's VTC5a and charge them with the xtar x2.

After they got fully charged and when i took one out, a piece of the wrap scratched off on the bottom of the battery.

Does this battery need rewrapping or can i still use it? The battery pack of the mod is all plastic so i dont think there is any reason for shorting.

But i'm really paranoia about a battery exploding, so any advice what i should do?

IMG-20191018-194026445-HDR.jpg

This is the inside of my mod (vaporesso Luxe S)

IMG-20191018-194131281-HDR.jpg

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Agree with the above. Wraps are cheap. They are precut for the size of the cell. Cut off the wrap, slide a new one on, and heat with a hair dryer until it shrinks tightly. It's an easy repair.

The common cause for wrap tears happens when you insert and remove the cell in and out of the charger. It's preventable if you fully depress the springs to prevent rubbing from occurring.

How To Re-Wrap 18650 Batteries - Guide To Vaping

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The danger is if the exposed metal in the insulating wrap comes into contact with anything else which is metalic, which would cause a hard short. A hard short could result in the battery venting hot toxic gas to a full blown thermal runaway. For a description of both of these events, read Li-Ion Battery Chemistries - What are the differences in their safety?

If you have never witnesses a battery in thermal runaway, watch this video of a security cam. Focus your attention to the window between the living room and kitchen where a battery is being recharged, about 20 seconds in.

Last edited:

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Cheap wraps can be had from Amazon for 10$ for 100 wraps. 10¢ a piece. They're thinner than the Sony wraps though, but seem more resistant to me. The Sony ones are thin enough to read the print on the can through. They break easily. The Amazon ones are a little tougher, but thinner. The cheap ones also have seams, but again, work well in a pinch.
IMG_20190716_122512.jpg

Beeker

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2015
Oklahoma
The nick at the bottom of the battery isn't an issue. On many batteries, the entire outside case under the wrap is the negative terminal...the part you have to worry about is the positive button on top contacting the case causing a dead short. At best it will quickly discharge the battery...at worst it will cause the battery to overheat and vent/leak or explode...

As long as the covering near the top is intact, it should be good to go...

• Agree
Reactions: Marper

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Any damage to the wrap should receive attention and be a re-wrapped. If we start giving exceptions, when do they stop. Small tears can grow to larger ones, and exposed negatives on a cell can present just as much a risk as damaged wrap and insulator at the positive end.

110% agree with @Tabac man. Mitigating risk should not employ sloppy practices!

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Just another vote, even if negative side damage is less risky than the positive post, re-wrapping is cheap and quick to do. I've got a lifetime of supply of insulators and wraps for 18650 batteries for about $12 off Amazon. Just do it, for your own safety ;)

p.s. you can probably just buy the wraps and skip the insulators, re-use the existing insulator if you want to save a few bucks. In any case, cheap, and all that is needed is a hair dryer (but having an old lighter can be useful to remove any remaining bubbles). No need for an expensive heat gun.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Many brick and mortar shops will re-wrap for free. But it is beneficial to know how to do this yourself, it is not difficult.

When purchasing batteries, it’s a good practice to throw a half dozen or so wraps and insulator rings in the cart as well. Few retailers just given them away, and those that do not, wraps and insulators are dirt cheap.

The over exaggerated gold prism bling may not be to everyone’s aesthetic tastes, but free wraps are free wraps!

BB Wraps.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: DarrenMG

icepickmaker84

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2019
Indiana
Many brick and mortar shops will re-wrap for free. But it is beneficial to know how to do this yourself, it is not difficult.

When purchasing batteries, it’s a good practice to throw a half dozen or so wraps and insulator rings in the cart as well. Few retailers just given them away, and those that do not, wraps and insulators are dirt cheap.

The over exaggerated gold prism bling may not be to everyone’s aesthetic tastes, but free wraps are free wraps!

View attachment 846305

I now understand my I’ve seen those wraps so many times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I now understand my I’ve seen those wraps so many times.

Albert, the mastermind behind BB VAPES and owner of the above store, is just silly when it comes to giving away his branded wraps. Visit his store and he’ll give you a dozen just for saying hi. Purchase a bottle of juice, and he’ll give you a dozen more.

His wraps are of excellent quality (despite the bling), little thicker than normal which may pose an issue with tight tolerances, but super durable.

icepickmaker84

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2019
Indiana
Albert, the mastermind behind BB VAPES and owner of the above store, is just silly when it comes to giving away his branded wraps. Visit his store and he’ll give you a dozen just for saying hi. Purchase a bottle of juice, and he’ll give you a dozen more.

His wraps are of excellent quality (despite the bling), little thicker than normal which may pose an issue with tight tolerances, but super durable.

That’s awesome! Fastest way to Canada from where I’m at is 7hrs to Windsor lol

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
In truth, those plastic sleds (i.e., the battery holder the OP provided a picture of) are safe because they do isolate and insulate the negative from the positive, but personally I'd re-wrap anyway out of caution. It's not particularly logical in this one specific case, but safety is not about pushing edge cases to the edge, it's about good practices to prevent injury that was avoidable. It's my personality, I prefer the later to the risk of the former. If the OP forgets, and puts those batteries into another mod that is less safe, well... avoidable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread