Small Single 21700 Regulated 510 Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericsgreen

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2021
Like take out the charger cable no one needs, but don't cripple the mod, it feels really stingy and deceptive, no one is used to having to check a mod for the standard functions a mod has been providing. It really should be a big deal, ....ing businesses... But it doesn't affect most folks so I guess fair enough but there should be a warning label on all these chips, it's not fair to call it a vw mod imo. I liked voopoo but this has gotten under my skin for some reason

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Like take out the charger cable no one needs, but don't cripple the mod, it feels really stingy and deceptive, no one is used to having to check a mod for the standard functions a mod has been providing. It really should be a big deal, ....ing businesses... But it doesn't affect most folks so I guess fair enough but there should be a warning label on all these chips, it's not fair to call it a vw mod imo. I liked voopoo but this has gotten under my skin for some reason

Well they can "get away with it" or "justify it" becuase as long as you don't need to exceed the voltage of your battery in order to attain your desired wattage, then it's VW. :lol:

What pisses me off is that in their specs the list the output voltage range as "input voltage" when they should be calling it "output voltage". If they called it what it is, many people (but not all) would be able to discern that the mod has no boost. By calling it "input" they are essentially making people think that is the operating voltage of the PCB, which is useless info for most vapers anyhow.

They aren't the only ones who have done this. Devices without boost seem to somewhat common these days.

The way to tell is to look at the specs. If it doesn't show a voltage range (whatever they call it) above 4.2 volts, or shows no voltage range at all, then you can almost safely assume it has no boost. Then you can try to verify this with review videos. However I have found that 99% of reviewers are oblivious to this and don't even test a mod enough to figure out that it has no boost. One reviewer who shall remain nameless, actually half-figured it out and said that the mod was defective, when in act it simply had no boost. But he had no concept of the concept until he had Mooch explain it to him months and months later. Even then he barely grasped it :D

PodVaper

ECF Veteran
    Jan 9, 2019
    Asia-Pacific
    Well they can "get away with it" or "justify it" becuase as long as you don't need to exceed the voltage of your battery in order to attain your desired wattage, then it's VW. :lol:

What pisses me off is that in their specs the list the output voltage range as "input voltage" when they should be calling it "output voltage". If they called it what it is, many people (but not all) would be able to discern that the mod has no boost. By calling it "input" they are essentially making people think that is the operating voltage of the PCB, which is useless info for most vapers anyhow.

They aren't the only ones who have done this. Devices without boost seem to somewhat common these days.

The way to tell is to look at the specs. If it doesn't show a voltage range (whatever they call it) above 4.2 volts, or shows no voltage range at all, then you can almost safely assume it has no boost. Then you can try to verify this with review videos. However I have found that 99% of reviewers are oblivious to this and don't even test a mod enough to figure out that it has no boost. One reviewer who shall remain nameless, actually half-figured it out and said that the mod was defective, when in act it simply had no boost. But he had no concept of the concept until he had Mooch explain it to him months and months later. Even then he barely grasped it :D
    I was about to create a thread about "if its not above xx Volts can this be considered to be without boost" but would be scared to get answers I don't really understand. End, then pointless or too much of information not that I'm saying its not useful or anything, just sometimes its harder to understand them before getting a headache. lol
    Anyways, you exactly have answered the question I had in mind, after using my mod and also to avoid to buy more of this kind of mod. It' simple, when a poor, smaller and cheaper device can perform a better output than the device that's higher in price and more up-to-date, this being said not looking just on numbers but actually compare side by side on real use, IMO is considered to be not good (for me). At least when it can't bring me where I am with a lower grade of mod and half of the settings from the other.

Thank you for the explanation, this is good to know. Beside that, followed this thread continuous, for the up coming mods and advises. As I'm on the must buy rampage but don't want to waste all on it without knowing it fit my needs. (it will be my final mod order, lol)

My interests at the moment will be
    - LV Grus (updated version)
    - Odin Mini 100w (might fall under no boost, not sure yet)
    - Uwell Whirl2
    - iJoy Captian Link(waiting for some yt reviews)
    - Hellvape Arez(another no boost)
    - Freemax Maxus is good but bit boxy, larger than the others

And GV Aegis Max is already on the way. And will post more if I see any good to mention.
    Be well.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    Looking for some suggestions on smaller 21700 mods (510 only, no AIO or Pod systems)

I already have

- EHPro Cold Steel 100
    - Vaporesso Armour Pro
    - Eleaf Pico 21700
    - GV Aegis Max (biggest I'm willing to go but prefer smaller like the ones above)

TC doesn't matter. Don't need it.

Edited to add: Mainstream only, around or under the $50 price range.
    The original capo is a really nice little 21700 mod It's very similar to the Pico but I want to say it's actually smaller than there are 21700 version it feels smaller in the hand I haven't checked measurements. The capo squonk mod that looks very similar but is a squonk well obviously lol it has a problem because it has a 4.2 cap on voltage so even though it says it goes up to such and such amount of watts it doesn't it caps at 4.2 so you're very limited on how you build and it just doesn't have a boost or buck chip
    But the original capo doesn't have that cap. I don't know if you're going to find it I found one before all of this vape mail stuff happened like right before and I think I paid like $12 maybe even less and it was some of the best money I've spent on a mod. Because of how much I like how simple it is and how nice it feels like it's small and it's light and it takes 21,700s most of them actually come with a 21-700 even though it's not a very good one It's the iJoy battery but I think it is the five-prong one I'm not sure I would have to go look I haven't used it It's not my chosen battery but it's nice it comes free. So if you do manage to find one especially one of the ones that has the 21700 in it I would highly recommend it. It's not a high-end mod I wouldn't pay over $30 for it no matter what battery or no battery but it feels nice and it works.

***I just realized who posted this I didn't even look at who it was I'm pretty sure you're familiar with the capo lol. I wouldn't have went into detail had I thought that it was someone experienced***
    But anyway there's my review of a 5-year-old capo I think it is lol I really like the stupid thing

MLEJ

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 14, 2020
    Worth pointing out drag x plus is max 4v, no boost. Didn't bother me, does the more I see it

That's a problem for some. Pist off a lot of people. A lot of voopoo mods are like that, only buck, no boost.
    Could someone explain why this might be a problem? In simple terms, if possible. Thank you.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    Could someone explain why this might be a problem? In simple terms, if possible. Thank you.
    Okay I am not tech oriented when it comes to this but I have experienced it for myself individuals who purchase a mod that is considered regulated are often of the assumption that it is going to have a boost chip which will allow the mod to fire at above the battery cutoff which is at top 4.2. Now it's not even so much that it can fire above 4.2 volts but that it will remain a fairly steady vape throughout the usable life of that battery. You don't expect it to have sag or loss of power as you're vaping on a regulated device at least until it starts getting like low battery warnings then of course you need to change your battery.

If it doesn't have a boost chip you are only going to be able to get the voltage that your battery has available. So as you vape you're going to be losing power noticeably at certain points. Like you would with a mechanical device.

Another thing that is a problem with these devices that have the same voltage output as your battery does is that people who vape higher ohms May very well be left out. They may not get the power that they're being promised in the device because there is no boost chip.

So you're going to have noticeably draining power even at the same wattage and depending on how you build you may not even be able to use the device at the power that you're asking the device to put out which should not happen with a regulated device. Whatever wattage it is offering should be the wattage that you are given but it's not with these devices.

Now someone might come along and correct some of that because I might be wrong Don't take what I just said to heart That's my understanding and that's my experience but like I said I am not tech savvy

Last edited:

Ericsgreen

ECF Veteran
    Mar 20, 2021
    That's right ^ but it will really only affect you if you build higher ohm, AND if you have higher mass coils that need more power than mtl coils. You can use a vape calculator to see where it'd fail, with a 1 ohm coil you couldnt get more than 16watts with the drag x plus. So play with the calculator assuming 4 volts and see how limited you'd be. Now if you're running a .2 coil you'd never notice. The only reason it makes any sense to me, is a 1 ohm coil almost always would be mtl running at 12 watts or something, so they don't need much power but still...

And a mod without boost or buck would be a semi mech mod, protection but no vv or vw at all, the output is based on battery state only. Funny as this wouldn't ever, almost ever affect me, I don't vape high ohm, but damn, seems like such a critical part of a vv mod and once you've bougt it and found out you're stuck, at least they are cheap af, I'll give them that!

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    GV Aegis Max is already on the way

Surprised you bought teh Aegis Max becuase I personally wouldn't classify that as "small", especially in comparison to other mods you bought or looked into.
    The original capo is a really nice little 21700 mod It's very similar to the Pico but I want to say it's actually smaller than there are 21700 version it feels smaller in the hand I haven't checked measurements. The capo squonk mod that looks very similar but is a squonk well obviously lol it has a problem because it has a 4.2 cap on voltage so even though it says it goes up to such and such amount of watts it doesn't it caps at 4.2 so you're very limited on how you build and it just doesn't have a boost or buck chip
    But the original capo doesn't have that cap. I don't know if you're going to find it I found one before all of this vape mail stuff happened like right before and I think I paid like $12 maybe even less and it was some of the best money I've spent on a mod. Because of how much I like how simple it is and how nice it feels like it's small and it's light and it takes 21,700s most of them actually come with a 21-700 even though it's not a very good one It's the iJoy battery but I think it is the five-prong one I'm not sure I would have to go look I haven't used it It's not my chosen battery but it's nice it comes free. So if you do manage to find one especially one of the ones that has the 21700 in it I would highly recommend it. It's not a high-end mod I wouldn't pay over $30 for it no matter what battery or no battery but it feels nice and it works.

***I just realized who posted this I didn't even look at who it was I'm pretty sure you're familiar with the capo lol. I wouldn't have went into detail had I thought that it was someone experienced***
    But anyway there's my review of a 5-year-old capo I think it is lol I really like the stupid thing

Yeah I almost bought the Capo mod because it was going for dirt cheap in 2019 and 2020. But I decided against it. I just read too many bad things about it and about Ijoy mods in general. Kind of have a bad reputation like smok. So I bought more Pico 21700 kits instead for $20 each.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    Surprised you bought teh Aegis Max becuase I personally wouldn't classify that as "small", especially in comparison to other mods you bought or looked into.

Yeah I almost bought the Capo mod because it was going for dirt cheap in 2019 and 2020. But I decided against it. I just read too many bad things about it and about Ijoy mods in general. Kind of have a bad reputation like smok. So I bought more Pico 21700 kits instead for $20 each.
    I mean you really can't beat the Pico can you.. It's a solid device that has a huge longevity for being a inexpensive product

MLEJ

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 14, 2020
    Okay I am not tech oriented when it comes to this but I have experienced it for myself individuals who purchase a mod that is considered regulated are often of the assumption that it is going to have a boost chip which will allow the mod to fire at above the battery cutoff which is at top 4.2. Now it's not even so much that it can fire above 4.2 volts but that it will remain a fairly steady vape throughout the usable life of that battery. You don't expect it to have sag or loss of power as you're vaping on a regulated device at least until it starts getting like low battery warnings then of course you need to change your battery.

If it doesn't have a boost chip you are only going to be able to get the voltage that your battery has available. So as you vape you're going to be losing power noticeably at certain points. Like you would with a mechanical device.

That's right ^ but it will really only affect you if you build higher ohm, AND if you have higher mass coils that need more power than mtl coils. You can use a vape calculator to see where it'd fail, with a 1 ohm coil you couldnt get more than 16watts with the drag x plus. So play with the calculator assuming 4 volts and see how limited you'd be. Now if you're running a .2 coil you'd never notice. The only reason it makes any sense to me, is a 1 ohm coil almost always would be mtl running at 12 watts or something, so they don't need much power but still...
    Thank you both!

PodVaper

ECF Veteran
    Jan 9, 2019
    Asia-Pacific
    I will use it when I'm fishing and on trips, I gave my previous Aegis Mini to my buddy but also wanted something for my 21700. As I liked it in a small factor, it def serves me good even if its bigger.

Reactions: pt91
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread