Status
Not open for further replies.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Mine had to be manufactured before February because I got it in January. Anyway no problem with it and it gets beat up more than my other mods just based on it’s used the most of any of my mods. I hope I didn’t just jinx myself by saying that but I figured I’d just put that out there.

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
That scared me enough to go dig the box out. Yes, I really do save all that stuff. Lucky for me it was after 2/18. Still no guarantee it won't happen. Time will tell. I hope it doesn't as it's a nice dual battery mod, especially at the price point.

Sure is. I really liked it, will continue to use it until the screen becomes unusable. Then I'll likely leave it as build stand LOL. I hope you are luckier :)

With the new revision anyone know what they did to fix the issue ?
I thought all it would need is a rubber gromet like thing on the edges of the screen for a little shock absorbency.

No idea. From all the checking I've done the problem could be linked to your mod being:

1) Manufactured before Feb 2018, and
2) Having been updated to the latest FW, and
3) You have uploaded a wallpaper

No guarantee it won't happen to mods produced after Feb 2018 but if you look around, at least as far as I can see, the forums etc are pretty quiet about this problem other than the initial flurry, likely with the earlier production runs.

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
Fair play to Smoant, responded same day. Offered to ship out a replacement for $15. What's more interesting though is that they offered to replace it with a Charon 218. Buddy of mine recently bought one of these and I have to say I actually prefer the feel of it in the hand, smaller and not so chunky.

Makes me wonder if the Cylon is at the end of it's production life, or maybe they are just more confident of the screens on the Charon. Either way, I'm happy with the result but will still be sticking to DNA boards for daily driver use.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, if so, I'm glad I have one. Maybe all the screens are going bad, or enough of them that they're like, "We will just offer this other product, which doesn't seem to have this issue."

I hope it's not that, although it could just equally be a manufacturer being super extra awesome. Maybe they have too many Charons sitting about. It could be anything I guess... You should ask them why they are doing it!

Anna

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
Last edited:

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
Well, if so, I'm glad I have one. Maybe all the screens are going bad, or enough of them that they're like, "We will just offer this other product, which doesn't seem to have this issue."

I hope it's not that, although it could just equally be a manufacturer being super extra awesome. Maybe they have too many Charons sitting about. It could be anything I guess... You should ask them why they are doing it!

Anna

Don't get me wrong, I really did / do like the Cylon and had it not crapped out I would have been happy to continue using it, however, had the Charon Mini been out at the time I would have opted for that instead, mostly because I prefer the slightly smaller form-factor but also because, while I love the leather on the Cylon, coverings which are glued on have a tendency to have a short lifespan in these parts with the heat and humidity, generally it's only a question of time so buying a mod without it results in one less issue to contend with. Same reason I don't buy painted mods if I can avoid it.

I haven't seen much by way of problems with post Feb 2018 production units but I have seen one. I'll likely ask them why they offered the Charon Mini instead of the Cylon once it's been posted, didn't want to ask during the initial exchange of emails in case they changed their mind and sent me another Cylon LOL.

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2018
Land of Smiles
For whatever its worth I have a Cylon from early production and the screen is still fine. I guess it is the luck of the draw. I admit that mine is one of several mods in rotation so perhaps it does not get the extreme use that others may have.

Yeah from what I've seen it simply is luck of the draw vs usage of the mod. I did see some information that it's almost certain to happen with pre Feb 2018 mods that have the new firmware and that have had a custom wallpaper uploaded. How much those conditions apply across the unit failures I'm not sure.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Is there a specific method to this? It doesn't seem to work for me. It just turns the device off and back on.
Generally 20 fast clicks will take to a screen showing the latest software installed, if it isn't working might try scrolling through settings or device info. You could also simply go to the Smoant site and download the appropriate firmware, once you plug in the mod it should show the current upgrade available.

gsmit1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2018
Generally 20 fast clicks will take to a screen showing the latest software installed, if it isn't working might try scrolling through settings or device info. You could also simply go to the Smoant site and download the appropriate firmware, once you plug in the mod it should show the current upgrade available.
For whatever reason the 20 fastclix thing is not working for me at all.

no matter how fast or slow I click it it just turns the device off at 5 and back on at 5 more. Or actually locks it and unlocks it.

There is nothing in the menus indicating what version of the firmware is presently installed. I will have to wait until I get home and use the PC program it looks like.

I do very much appreciate your time and attention :)

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
I do not deserve my Cylon's behavior at all. It's one of my favorite mods so it kinda goes everywhere, so that does mean it gets dropped a lot. I dropped it just this morning, actually from high enough up that the battery compartment opened and my batteries flew everywhere. It was fine.

Unfortunately, that was not my experience with the Cylon at all. I knocked it off my table and it must have hit the tank just right where it ripped the top clear off from the body and stripped the little screws. Not that it mattered all that much as the screen was almost unreadable due to the little lines. If it had a screen that was not fried, I might have tried to macgyver it. Instead, I just figured that was the last Smoant for me. I liked it out of the box but it gained junk status within a month or so.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
For whatever reason the 20 fastclix thing is not working for me at all.

no matter how fast or slow I click it it just turns the device off at 5 and back on at 5 more. Or actually locks it and unlocks it.

There is nothing in the menus indicating what version of the firmware is presently installed. I will have to wait until I get home and use the PC program it looks like.

I do very much appreciate your time and attention :)
Hope you can get it figured out.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I should have mentioned that I never updated mine because I don't care about wallpaper. That may be why I have had no problems with the screen. I wonder if those with problems could flash it back to the previous version software and cure the problem?
I didn’t think of that, I haven't updated mine either and it's a first run.

gsmit1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2018
Hope you can get it figured out.
How do you find out the manufacture date, if I can ask that?

According to the PC utility I already have the latest firmware out of the box. I can't find anywhere that tells me when it was made or what run it's from or anything like that though.

I would really love for this to last, because it's a great mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread