The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Smoant Mods Drain Batteries Faster?

Discussion in 'APV and Mods Discussion' started by Background Noise, May 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Background Noise

Background Noise Full Member

May 30, 2018
    I am considering a Smoant Battlestar or a Cylon but have read references that the mods drain batteries faster than comparable devices.

Is this still true? Was it ever true?

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    If it is true I rather doubt it’s by a whole lot. Some mods do seem to be more efficient than others. It’s hard to be sure though because you’ve got to have the exact same atty on a mod to even measure it. There are mods known for unusually goodbattery life but they don’t seem to have the ruggedness the smoant are known for. I suspect rugged and efficient are not available in the same mod. Myself I’ve got an ageis and a legend. Clearly I chose rugged.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Background Noise

May 30, 2018
    Thanks for replying.

I am sure there are many factors that would determine battery life.

I am perhaps over-concerned because I am replacing a capo 100 that doesn't have enough battery life.

I was just curious if it was significant.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Well hmm. The best I can give you is a for instance: Of the two mods I mentioned, the first is a single 26650 which in general are about the same size as 21700s. Using that device I go through maybe 3 batteries a day vaping at 30w. The legend is a dual 18650 and it will generally last me all day at the same wattage without battery replacement. Assuming you were going through a similar number with the capo the smoant should be a significant improvement.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Myk

Myk Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    I've read it, haven't noticed it. I doubt if those complaining actually measured with the same batteries. I also read the Battlestar kills batteries sitting idle, if that's true it must've been sitting a long time. Kill batteries sitting idle over a long period? Yes, as far as I know all do that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Background Noise

May 30, 2018
    Cool. Thanks for the replies.

It sounds like it will get me through the day without needing to be charged and that is all I really want.

I don't think sitting idle is going to be a problem with me. I plan on using it all day.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Myk

Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    I think both will make it a day. With TC I generally get 2 days out of 2 battery mods.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    My experience with mods and battery efficiency has varied widely. For instance, 95% of the time I vape at 30 watts. I use a rotation of seven Samsung 1865030Q 3000mAh 15A batteries. Same tank; same coil resistance.

• I get just over one full day's use with three batteries in my Wismec Reuleaux RX200.
    • One full day's use with two batteries in a Segelei Fuschai 213 Plus.
    • One full day's use with one single battery in a JAC Vapour Series B DNA75W.
    • Nearly 2 day's use with two batteries in a Geekvape Aegis Legend.
    I attribute the wide difference in battery usage to the efficiency/inefficiency of the regulating chip. What else could it be?

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. score69

score69 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 28, 2015
    Athens, GA, USA
    I thought I recalled folks claiming the Battlestar had a somewhat higher cell voltage cutoff? Not sure if that's true or not. If so, if would contribute to the perception of poor battery life. It's been a while since I've used my Battlestar, but never thought it had issues.

I only used my Cylon for a few months, but thought the battery life in it was pretty darn good.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    As far as I know and without any testing data most modern mods are between 90% and 95% efficient. The idle power consumption shouldn't account for more than a few hundred milliamps but I doubt that information is ever published on manufacturers spec sheets.
    The main factors deciding battery life are the age and quality of the batteries and how hard you push them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I haven't noticed my Cylon being a battery hog at all, but I use puny wattages and have a lot of setups going. Efficiency of the chip probably matters, but also all the bells and whistles may play a role, I mean, but some of those factors can be turned off/shortened and etc. But really, if I had to point to a battery hog it would be my revenger. It's kind of hard to determine, but I have not once picked up my Cylon to vape it and gone "WTH" at batteries being discharged overly fast. It seems to get pretty decent battery life overall.

Depending on the age and capacity and vaping style you use, all that may also be different depending on those factors. I use the Cylon pretty frequently.

Anna

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Background Noise

May 30, 2018
    Thanks for all the responses.

It seems my question was a bit more complicated than I thought.

Regardless, I went ahead and bought the Battlestar from Eightvape.

I am sure it will be a step up and I am looking forward to the mods arrival.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. K-9s

K-9s Senior Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Georgia
    I just received my $33 Battlestars today. If you like simplicity and the compact nature of it, you should love it!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. score69

score69 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 28, 2015
    Athens, GA, USA
    The Battlestar is a great mod. I do think it has a higher voltage cut off than some mods, not 100% sure. It's been a while since I've used mine. It's a durable workhorse of a mod though. Nice size for a dual battery mod, fast and powerful.

Smoant has great QC as well. Very rare to hear of true issues with their mods. You guys both should be happy with them.

Congrats on the additions to the family. :)

• Like Like x 3
  15. Myk

Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    I think it was my Battlestar that I was trying to kill the batteries on because I left the house with a couple bars and it just kept going and going. I do know it and at least one other mod that look dead by the bars so I change while convenient end up jumping up to 2 bars on the charger quickly.

• Like Like x 2
  16. madstabber

madstabber Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

The Battlestar doesnt drain batteries faster, the issue was the cutoff voltage. They cutoff at 3.5 when many other mods cutoff at 3.3-3.2. I don’t know if they changed that on the Battlestars they are putting out now, mines a year and a half old. With the Charon TS they have changed it to 3:3-3.2 and the Cylon and I assume the ranked as well. I never minded because it was easier on the batteries and I don’t vape at high wattage. Anyway the Battlestar is a solid mod, I love mine although I have it as a backup to my Cylon now because I like it better. Best of luck and you made a good choice

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. hell_storm2004

hell_storm2004 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 17, 2013
    Richardson, Texas, USA
    I have a Cylon and Revenger X. They both last almost the same. Cant really tell the difference. About 0.8 to 0.9 of a day.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Mikedin

Mikedin Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 6, 2015
    western new york
    Just picked up a cylon today and have been vaping on it at 85 watts, compared to my segeili 150tc with the same tank / same watts I seem to be getting better batt life from the cylon as far as I can tell (and I’m using the same batteries)

• Like Like x 3
  19. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I'm going to guess it's your wattage and not anything else because if I have one complaint about my cylon it's that it's a battery vampire. LOL. I will admit I have done nothing to remedy the White Giant Clock that like, stays there telling the time for like 5 minutes, emitting the lumens of a million suns! Because I use it to scare ghosts away. But, unless you've done something to your settings to remedy that matter, I'm still guessing: Wattage.

Anna

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Mikedin

Mikedin Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 6, 2015
    western new york
    Yeah the clock does stay on pretty long I diddnt see an option to change how long it stays on screen

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.