Smok 0.4 Ohm Coil Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shleubs

Nov 30, 2017
Hey guys,
I have a few questions. I bought a smok Procolor kit around 2 weeks ago and have been using the baby tank with the smok 0.15 ohm coil. Everything was going as should. I decided I would try out the other coil the kit came with, the 0.4 ohm coil. After priming and installing, I noticed that when hitting in the hit was a lot hotter. The coil was getting fairly hot after 2-3 puffs. In addition, when hitting it I felt like the drip tip was getting as hot as the coil in my mouth. Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions?

• Agree
Reactions: AminyWin

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Did you turn the power down or are you using the same power as you were with the .15Ω head?
Always start a new unused head off at a low power setting & work your way up gradually to find your sweet spot.

I'd start off the .4Ω at 35w & work up.

Last edited:

Shleubs

Nov 30, 2017
Yes, I turned the watts down to the lowest recommended to start. Started at 40 watts, and slowly started working my way up. However, the recommended for the 0.4 ohm coil is 40-80 watts, and I can barely handle the hit on 50 watts. On my 0.15 ohm coil I could handle 70 watts. But this coil I can barely do 50 watts. It’s very strange.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
The 0.6 ohm version of the coils you mention (dual coil as well) vape great for me at 20-25 watts. I couldn't imagine me running them at 40+.

I can't recall how many watts I was pushing on the 0.4 ohm coil that came with the tank because it was so long ago, but it was probably only 25-30 watts max as well.

Personally, I prefer the 0.6 ohm. Work just as well for me, less battery draw, and running them lower wattage extends the life quite a bit.

Definitely agree the 'recommended' values listed on the coil are worthless. I always start really low and slowly bump it up until I find what works for me. I've honestly have only been sub ohm for about 8 months. For years I just ran 1.2 ohm single coil builds around 12.5 watts. My batteries lasted forever.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
Next coil change in my Baby Beast I will be switching to the T8 coils so will update with what wattage I run them at when I do.
I would be interested to know this in comparison to what you vape at with the X4 coils.

I never even used the other coil that came with my tank, just the 0.4 ohm Q2. I stocked up on the Q2 0.6 ohm coils since they were the highest ohm 'baby' coils I could find and have just been running them since. :)

Maybe I'm missing out on something here, maybe not. Since I was coming from 1.2 ohm single coil builds before the Baby Beast tank, I figured the highest resistance I could get in only a dual coil was the best choice for me. Going quad or more coils seemed like overkill to me, but maybe I should give some of the others a try. I vape unflavored juice, so I can usually get a month out of a Q2 0.6 ohm coil with no problems at lower wattages.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hey guys,
I have a few questions. I bought a Smok Procolor kit around 2 weeks ago and have been using the baby tank with the smok 0.15 ohm coil. Everything was going as should. I decided I would try out the other coil the kit came with, the 0.4 ohm coil. After priming and installing, I noticed that when hitting in the hit was a lot hotter. The coil was getting fairly hot after 2-3 puffs. In addition, when hitting it I felt like the drip tip was getting as hot as the coil in my mouth. Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions?
Welcome and glad you joined.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Welcome @Shleubs

I run several Smok tanks and had one instance (not the Baby) that the vape was extremely hot, nothing I did would change it. Put in a new coil and everything was back to normal. I have no idea what caused it, but just chalked it up to :censored: happens.

Next coil change in my Baby Beast I will be switching to the T8 coils so will update with what wattage I run them at when I do.

I have settled in with the T8 coils in all my Baby/Big Baby tanks, just what I like. Depending on the juice, I run them between 54 and 62 watts.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Well today I got a funny tasting hit while vaping a Marshmallow liquid so I cleaned out the Baby and installed a T8 coil. Currently vaping at 45 Watts and see no reason to push it up higher. Said I would update when I installed one of the T8 coils and after 100 puffs enjoying it. Honestly don't really see a big difference from the X4's but smooth creamy vape with Tallahassee Directors Cut e-Liquid.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread