SMOK Alien 220 VB* Firmware Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tintreach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Holy crap what a PITA it was to upgrade from VB 1.0.2 to 1.0.3. Even the fixes needed fixes so I am compiling my notes (sourced from all over) here for posterity reasons and maybe save someone the headaches of the firmware upgrade that I just endured.

If you have not attempted upgraded from 1.0.2 then proceed here below. I will edit this later with screen shots and more instructions later. This is only for the VB version of the alien!!!

1: Download 1.0.3 from HERE

2: Disregard smok's instructions as they are WRONG!!!!

3: Unzip the firmware to a location you can find

4: Open up NuvoISP.exe

5: Make sure USB is selected and select Continue

6: Disconnect any atomizer

7: Remove the batteries

8: Make sure the USB cable is plugged into your computer but not the Alien yet

9: Find a big rubber band, hair tie or zip tie and lock the fire button down

10: Select the Connect in ISP

11: Now plug the USB cable into the Alien, it should connect

12: Select ERASE ALL and only ERASE ALL and select the Start button. You should get a confirmation it was OK

13: Select the Setting button

14: Configure the Chip Options to this and then select OK
8dOL8RW.jpg

15: Select the APROM button and navigate to the 1.0.3 firmware located in the same folder as ISP. VIVI-98_FOR_NANO120_VB1.0.3_20170323.bin

16: Now select under Programming APROM & CONFIG and make sure these are the only two selections made.

17: Select START and wait for the Successful prompt.

18: Select Disconnect

19: Unplug the USB cable from the Alien

20: I'm sure you can figure out the rest from here.........

Like I said, I will come back and edit this with screen shots, links and more...... just needed to get the procedure down before I forgot about it and passed out. Most of this came from 1 forum thread outside of here and 3 separate Reddit posts so I am compiling the working procedure in a very simple to find and follow format for us ECF folks. I spent almost 3 hours messing with this crap to get my mod back functional again.

Tintreach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
So does it actually fix anything?
That is a million dollar question right there. There are no change logs for the firmware upgrade which is no surprise. The only thing stated on Smok's site is.....

ALIEN VB1.0.3

come with optmized performance

My tongue dyno says the SS TCR section changed but who know's. It may just turn the lights off in the fridge now.

Tintreach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hmmm, seems like too much work for nothing. I have version B of the Alien, but I'm thinking I'm not going to worry about the upgrade, at least for now.

It really isn't that much work.... I broke it down in super simple steps just because. Now that I know how to do it I'm pretty sure it can be done in a few mins. It will make more sense once I make all the screen shots

dyanaprajna

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2017
Indiana
It really isn't that much work.... I broke it down in super simple steps just because. Now that I know how to do it I'm pretty sure it can be done in a few mins. It will make more sense once I make all the screen shots

OK. I'll wait for your screenshots, that should help with the process.

Billyray

Nov 17, 2016
I did the VB1.0.3 firmware update and now I get smok vg1.0.3 flashing on and off on the screen once the screen timeout happens. To use the MOD again I have to 5 clicks to start the MOD and then select new or old resistance everytime. If I turn the MOD off it just randomly flashes up the smok vg1.0.3 logo every 5 seconds or so, it doesn't actually shut the MOD totally down to complete off.

Tintreach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I did the VB1.0.3 firmware update and now I get smok vg1.0.3 flashing on and off on the screen once the screen timeout happens. To use the MOD again I have to 5 clicks to start the MOD and then select new or old resistance everytime. If I turn the MOD off it just randomly flashes up the smok vg1.0.3 logo every 5 seconds or so, it doesn't actually shut the MOD totally down to complete off.

Go back into NuvoISP and make sure the "Setting" (step 14 currently) is set to exactly what you see above then reflash it. I had the same issue and that is what led me to doing this post. Sorry I haven't gone back in to do screen shots yet

Tintreach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thank you; this was a life saver. Followed SMOK's directions and was able to apply VB1.0.3; however, every time the mod screen timed out the entire mod would power off and go into endless reboot loop mode. This procedure fixed everything first time. Really appreciate it!!!

NP that's why I jotted my notes so others wouldn't have to get the fix from a bunch of different Reddit and forums posts. Seriously, it was a HUGE PITA due to the poor documentation

BROKEN1981

Apr 20, 2017
Holy crap what a PITA it was to upgrade from VB 1.0.2 to 1.0.3. Even the fixes needed fixes so I am compiling my notes (sourced from all over) here for posterity reasons and maybe save someone the headaches of the firmware upgrade that I just endured.

If you have not attempted upgraded from 1.0.2 then proceed here below. I will edit this later with screen shots and more instructions later. This is only for the VB version of the Alien!!!

1: Download 1.0.3 from HERE

2: Disregard SMOK's instructions as they are WRONG!!!!

3: Unzip the firmware to a location you can find

4: Open up NuvoISP.exe

5: Make sure USB is selected and select Continue

6: Disconnect any atomizer

7: Remove the batteries

8: Make sure the USB cable is plugged into your computer but not the Alien yet

9: Find a big rubber band, hair tie or zip tie and lock the fire button down

10: Select the Connect in ISP

11: Now plug the USB cable into the Alien, it should connect

12: Select ERASE ALL and only ERASE ALL and select the Start button. You should get a confirmation it was OK

13: Select the Setting button

14: Configure the Chip Options to this and then select OK
8dOL8RW.jpg

15: Select the APROM button and navigate to the 1.0.3 firmware located in the same folder as ISP. VIVI-98_FOR_NANO120_VB1.0.3_20170323.bin

16: Now select under Programming APROM & CONFIG and make sure these are the only two selections made.

17: Select START and wait for the Successful prompt.

18: Select Disconnect

19: Unplug the USB cable from the Alien

20: I'm sure you can figure out the rest from here.........

Like I said, I will come back and edit this with screen shots, links and more...... just needed to get the procedure down before I forgot about it and passed out. Most of this came from 1 forum thread outside of here and 3 separate Reddit posts so I am compiling the working procedure in a very simple to find and follow format for us ECF folks. I spent almost 3 hours messing with this crap to get my mod back functional again.
Thanks for this. 1 question, after it's done, why do i get on ldc screen "error no secret key"? do i have to do it over?

also want to edit that i get that message after i click disconnect or just even yanking out the usb cable. is it because i did not put in batteries or do the upgrade from direct settings?

Last edited:

Tintreach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thanks for this. 1 question, after it's done, why do i get on ldc screen "error no secret key"? do i have to do it over?

also want to edit that i get that message after i click disconnect or just even yanking out the usb cable. is it because i did not put in batteries or do the upgrade from direct settings?

I have no clue what that message is, I haven't seen it. Can you post some screen shots of NuvoISP configs?

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach

I did a Google search for the error and the only thing that pops up is,did you have batteries in when you updated?? If so,remove batteries and re-connect to PC and it should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread