SMOK BEC PRO Bluetooth Mod 50 Watt

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect to Phil's video and review, I did watch the video and actually bought the BEC PRO before watching his review. Phil's main issues with the BEC PRO was the non-adjustable 510 connection and that the unit does not have a over heat cut-off limit. I do have issues with the non-adjusting 510 because some of my cheap clone kayfun's will not work on the BEC. The over heat cut off that got Phil so worked up, is a valid point in a regulated mod. However, when would anyone vape like that? I could see someone not locking the device, sticking it in their pocket and getting the same results, but vaping on the unit and it doing this? Shoot even the 13 second cutoff would alleviate this condition. Sometimes people just need to use the space between their ears and a little common sense. If someone vapes long enough to cause the unit to heat up that much... doesnt need to be using one in the first place!

Heespharm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2014
Htown,tx
Yeah I agree yes it should have better temp regulation but I never vape that way... Also it has a 12 second cut off so accidental button presses would be safe and it also tells you it's too hot, just doesn't stop you... This device is safe bc if its not comfortable to hold because it's so hot then you won't hold it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

superjoefly

Aug 23, 2014
Houston, TX
I ordered one...should be here tomorrow. Really looking forward to it. I watched this video by some British guy, and it looks pretty freakin awesome to me. I'm not a fan of box-mods, so was looking for a high watt tube mod and I like Smoktech so it was a pretty easy decision for me. I'm wondering if the fact that a lot of rda's have adjustable bottom screws will help with the 510 connection. I hope so...

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Just had a runaway battery in my BEC Pro. Glad I was there to take it out before it got bad. Definitely no longer happy with this thing.

Was it an issue with the battery or with the BEC?

ETA- May be a dumb question. Either way no vents are not good. Guess I will not use mine anymore either.

Last edited:

caged

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Laurel, MD
Was it an issue with the battery or with the BEC?

ETA- May be a dumb question. Either way no vents are not good. Guess I will not use mine anymore either.

No venting. Just heat. The bottom cap kept getting hotter and hotter until I removed the battery (and no, it wasn't firing). It seems to be working fine again with the same battery after letting the unit cool down. I set it to 30 watts on a .4 ohm build for the first time and am wondering if that had something to do with it. Regardless, the device should have recognized there was a problem and cut power like a regulated mod should. I'm guessing the device got too hot which made it go haywire.

superjoefly

Aug 23, 2014
Houston, TX
I haven't had any problems with heat so far...if it is a common problem, they may be able to fix it with an update.

Also, some people were talking about atty's not sitting flush. I have a plume veil clone that sit's flush. Looks really nice.

I think the holes on the bottom of the device are for venting/cooling, so be sure not to cover those while vaping.

Also, I've heard that it's good to have a high amp battery with this device...like 20+ continuous, especially if you're doing low ohm builds and using mech mode.

I'm using a VTC3...seems to be working well...

The British guy that did a review seemed to be very knowledgeable and familiar with the product. I trust his judgement.

As with all of these devices, time will tell.

Also, be careful with the updates and cranking up the wattage; the last thing we need is another "Cloutastrophe" with people frying their devices.

Last edited:

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
If someone vapes long enough to cause the unit to heat up that much... doesnt need to be using one in the first place!

If the device performed like it was supposed to then it wouldn't be an issue - vendors aren't exactly going to ask buyers if they know what they're doing before they purchase this.

I can see why Smok have got such a low RRP on the Bec now.

superjoefly

Aug 23, 2014
Houston, TX
Just watched PBusardo's review. It is a great review. He errs on the side of caution which is definitely a good thing. I would say that this device isn't really for beginners. One reason is because it has mech mode which means you can make it unregulated. If you don't know what you're doing, that can be dangerous. I don't think that Smoktech claims to have temperature regulation, so I don't really expect it to. I think that Smoktech expects people to have common sense which, unfortunately, many people don't. This is an advanced device so, if they can upgrade the wattage, they can most likely make it shut off at a certain temp. If you have experience with mechanical mods, I don't think you'll have any problems with this device. It is not, however, idiot proof. Most things in life aren't.

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
Just watched PBusardo's review. It is a great review. He errs on the side of caution which is definitely a good thing. I would say that this device isn't really for beginners. One reason is because it has mech mode which means you can make it unregulated. If you don't know what you're doing, that can be dangerous. I don't think that Smoktech claims to have temperature regulation, so I don't really expect it to. I think that Smoktech expects people to have common sense which, unfortunately, many people don't. This is an advanced device so, if they can upgrade the wattage, they can most likely make it shut off at a certain temp. If you have experience with mechanical mods, I don't think you'll have any problems with this device. It is not, however, idiot proof. Most things in life aren't.

Not going to stop beginners from buying it though - I've seen posts by new vapers asking about building .2 ohm coils and then asking if Trustfire batteries are okay to use.

You're correct in saying that most things in life aren't idiot proof but a good number of these things don't have the potential to blow your face off and set your house on fire.

Smok uses the end user as their beta tester - always has, that's why there are V2's and V3's of Smok devices in short periods of time - one day someone is going to get badly hurt and it won't be good for any of us.

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
P. Absurdo = Provari = $$$

After this review I can't take Absurdo no longer serious.
I see what you did with his name - hilarious stuff right there.

Weird how this particular mod has issues - I mean the Smoktech brand name has been synonymous with quality for years.

Who ever could forget the classic spontaneously combusting Groove or the wonderful air tight telescope - the one completely without vent holes.

Apparently they've let their standards drop lately[emoji12]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread