Smok coils are a drag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ner0sr0me

Jan 14, 2018
Hi...
The smok coils in my baby don't last longer than a week and I love this set up and I'm really hoping that I don't have to ditch it.
Someone referred to rba in a similar thread. I'm naive to building your own rigs and am hoping RBS is brand of coil.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Elizabethe

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
Depending on what type of juice and VG/PG, and how much you vape, a week may be normal and not the ciols being "bad".

RBA is a rebuildable could head. You would either have to coil your own or buy prebuilt coils.

Not a fan of smok coils, but if you're going through 5-10ml a day of sweet juice than a week isn't terrible.

I have the rba and big baby, haven't used it in awhile. If I remember correctly you'll need something fairly simple with a small inner diameter, and you'll need to wick it.
.I suggest visiting YouTube, plenty of tutorials. Good luck

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Most factory coils only last about a week or two, depending on how much juice you vape, the type of juice as sweeter ones gunk things up faster, and how high a wattage you use to help produce the gunk.

An RBA is not a brand, it’s a base that allows you to build your own coils. The RBA is tank specific and almost always will not fit different tanks. Some are easier to build than others. If you’re interested in learning to build your own coils they are one way to get involved with that. If you’re not into building then shopping around for good prices on the factory coils you’re using is your next best option.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Most important thing in my opinion that contributes to coil life is the amount of wattage you put to a coil. More power equals more heat and I normally vape at 20-25% less than the minimum rating on my coils. I found my sweet spot for coils by starting low and working my way up. Also if you take long pulls like I do then you do not need to Max out the wattage. Take a 2 second pull and less watts works but with 7-8 second pulls that can flame a coil.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Some folks will poke holes in the cotton of smok coils to get them to wick more easily although results may vary.

There is a "dedicated" RTA deck for some smok tanks, I'm not super familiar with their equipment. With that said, the feedback on the RTA deck for the B, BB (not sure which one it is) is small, and dual coil so it may not be the easiest build deck to start out on, and I am not the hugest fan of RTA or RBA decks for tanks with drop in coils as often, they really aren't designed for that (the tanks) and it can be a less satisfying experience than just buying an RTA and building coils. Here is the forum you want to learn more about that (if you want to). It's certainly cheaper, and often the vape quality and taste is better too, but there's a learning curve...
Rebuildable Atomizer Systems

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

Anna

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Hi...
The smok coils in my baby don't last longer than a week and I love this set up and I'm really hoping that I don't have to ditch it.
Someone referred to RBA in a similar thread. I'm naive to building your own rigs and am hoping RBS is brand of coil.
Thanks in advance,
Elizabethe

Vaporesso GT coils are compatible w that tank. I use them in the Vaporesso NRG tank and love them. I get at least 2 weeks each coil vaping fruity ejuice at 50-60 watts using all their coils except the CCell which is ceramic. I vape that at around 30 Watts.

Blazr

Aug 31, 2017
Tulsa, OK
I recently think I had a unicorn coil. In my Baby Beast, it was a Vaporesso GT4. It lasted 5/6 weeks and I only Hometown Hero witch doctor. I used it at least every other day, small sessions with it. Some days longer. It's the only coil for me personally that lasts over a week. I also use mostly highly sweetened juices, so that's why I use the Baby for this e-liq only.

So I've tried multiple Smok and Vaporesso coils, even in my NRG tank. Haven't had good luck with any coil in the NRG. They either burn/dry hits or flavor highly muted.

Ive tried multiple surgeries on the coils, with little effect or flooding issues. Then I saw a comment recently on utube about poking holes in coils and I tried it. Going on 2cd week with a Smok T6 coil in NRG.

Instead of poking holes all the way thru (top and bottom) of wicking ports,, TRY poking hole at top and bottom just shy of going all the way through. I think the idea is to separate cotton just enough to allow better saturation in between the two layers of cotton vs allowing a straight through flow to ID.

I had shelved my NRG and Big Baby and thought I' try it this way. I even used a sweeter e-liq and I've ran 3? juices to push my luck.

IDK if this method will work for all coils, but worth a try. I also run the coils at 5 to 10 watts below recommended, but this T6 I was able to run it at recommended best. T6 coils only used to last me 2 to 4 days before I had to switch. I hope this wasn't another unicorn, stock coils are too expensive otherwise.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Curious how many puffs the OP recorded in a week.

That is a good point. 1 week as an ADV and chain vaping it, is actually not bad for factory coils. 1 week as a minor part of a rotation of several tanks then yeah 1 week isn't good at all.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
With the SMOK Baby Beast soils I started using the X4 and got incredible life out of them. Now I started using the T8's which the jury is still out on. I still run all my coils at 20-25% less than the low end of the recommended range except for TC coils then they get fired at maximum wattage.

AshKicker

Mar 10, 2018
Chicago
Hi...
Someone referred to RBA in a similar thread. I'm naive to building your own rigs and am hoping RBS is brand of coil.
Thanks in advance,
Elizabethe
Try these compatible little saviors
  • Eleaf HW coils [30W Pick! - Consistent build quality]
  • Eleaf HW-1 SS316 coil [TC Pick! - Only TC offering]
  • E-XY T1 coils
  • Geekvape iM1+4 coils
  • iJoy XS coils
  • Jomo Tech Smartvape TC80 coils
  • Joyetech ProCore Aries coils [Do NOT fit 22mm tanks]
  • Joyetech ProCore C1-S MTL coil [MTL Pick! - Only MTL offering]
  • Sigelei SLYDR SM coils
  • SMOK TFV8 baby coils
  • Vapefly Fantasy Mini M8 coils
  • Vaporesso NRG coils [50W+ Pick! - Fantastic wicking w/o flooding]
  • Vaportech M4/8 coils
  • Vaptio Frogman coils
  • WOTOFO FLOW coils [40W Pick! - No spitback]

AshKicker

Mar 10, 2018
Chicago
With the SMOK Baby Beast soils I started using the X4 and got incredible life out of them. Now I started using the T8's which the jury is still out on. I still run all my coils at 20-25% less than the low end of the recommended range except for TC coils then they get fired at maximum wattage.
Any other questions just ask me

Reactions: stols001

AshKicker

Mar 10, 2018
Chicago
I don't do drop in coils, but a week seems reasonable to me. How much is one coil, maybe 3 bucks perhaps? Seems way cheaper then smokes.
The TF V8 cloud beast is probably the best tank on the market in my opinion because you have so many coil options the smack coil’s last about a week to seven days but are usually use the horizon tech Arco to foils in those last about 10 to 12 days and you can run those at 100 W and make just as big of clouds as a smack T6 running at 130 W they cost five bucks apiece

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Bigger is better, get a tfv12 king. I get 2 weeks from the q4's and i vape a lot. Not so much when im at work but i make up for it at home. The baby beast is a good tank but i recall getting about a week out of those coils, week and a half tops. You can poke hole in them if you want to, i never found it to make much difference. I run all my coils in the middle of the best watt range. The q4 i hit with 130 to 150. It just takes experimenting to find your happy place.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

AshKicker

Mar 10, 2018
Chicago
Bigger is better, get a tfv12 king. I get 2 weeks from the q4's and i vape a lot. Not so much when im at work but i make up for it at home. The baby beast is a good tank but i recall getting about a week out of those coils, week and a half tops. You can poke hole in them if you want to, i never found it to make much difference. I run all my coils in the middle of the best watt range. The q4 i hit with 130 to 150. It just takes experimenting to find your happy place.
I don’t think bigger is better always. Coil life depends on type on juice and so many other factors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread