Smok Fury-S Mechanical Mod not firing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zethal

Jan 20, 2018
Just bought this bad boy yesterday, along with a Kennedy rda, and some twist .36 ohm coils.

I built the RDA (just one coil for now) and stuck it on my normal mod (a jaybo RX200s) and it fired straight away @ 3.7v (around 50w) perfectly without problems. I got really nice vapor production and flavor.

I put the RDA on the Fury-S, a charged battery, stick the 7a magnet in, and cap back on. Press fire button, I hear a very faint sizzle for half a second, a tiny bit amount of vapor flows up, but then it stops "firing". Okay. Try another battery? Nope. Same thing. Hmm. Google a few things. Try cleaning the contacts, I check for signs of overheating, nothing. Last thing I can do is try the magnet without the fuse in it but I am scared it may blow up? Am I doing something wrong or should I try it without the fuse magnet?

20180120_091946.jpg 20180120_092022.jpg

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Apalachicola, FL, United States
Got a multimeter? Check to see if you have power (by checking voltage) at the mods 510 when the power switch is pressed. If you do, your atty isn’t making contact with the mods 510. If not, the problem is in the switch or the battery/510 connection.

Zethal

Jan 20, 2018
Specifically, what batteries (make and model) are you using?

20180120_092022-jpg.713989

That's a lot of metal for a single battery to fire up. What gauge is it? Did you check the resistance with an Ohm reader, multimeter, or regulated mod?

Hi there! I do not have a multimeter, but I did check with my regulated mod. It was supposedly a .34 ohm coil, but my mod reads it at 0.24 ohms. No problems using this RDA with the same setup on my regulated mod @ 50-65w. I bought the coils pre-made at my local store.

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Hi there! I do not have a multimeter, but I did check with my regulated mod. It was supposedly a .34 ohm coil, but my mod reads it at 0.24 ohms. No problems using this RDA with the same setup on my regulated mod @ 50-65w. I bought the coils pre-made at my local store.
This is why its important to always measure each individual coil before using it, and not take the manufacturer's or vendor's word that it is a specific resistance.

You still didn't answer my question what batteries that you are using specifically (make and model).

If you indeed have a fuse in your mech, then if you must find out at what resistance or amp load that fuse will blow. You may not be able to use a super sub-ohm coil in your mech. Remember, a fuse is a safety feature that attempts to keep you safe. Don't bypass it, as that could be extremely dangerous in a mech.

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations
  • As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept. Recently revised to be even more simple. Warning: Includes graphic photos of mod explosions.
A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod
  • Covers the differences between a mechanical vs. regulated mod, essential safety accessories, optional safety accessories to add layers of safety to your mech, routine maintanance, use of proper batteries, proper ventilation, low resistance vaping, and faux hybrid mods.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
4.2 / .36 = 11.67, so yes, it looks like you've exceeded the 7A limit of the fused magnet.

4.2 / .24 = 17.5 so if you've got a battery rated 20A or greater you should be okay using the other one [without the fuse] if that is the true reading of your coil.

I'm curious. You say "a little bit of vapor comes out, then it stops firing." I presume that's the fuse tripping. Then you say "the same thing" happens on a different battery. Including the "fires for half a second" part, or just the "nothing"? I'm wondering because I have the same mod, wondering if it's a one-shot fuse or if it's some sort of "resettable" deal that will continue to work again once the current drops below the 7A limit. Can't seem to find much info online about it. Not quite ready to sacrifice the only one I have just to find out if it's reusable, but if yours is already tripped...?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread