smok gct coil wash tc mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

broncotr

May 14, 2017
hi i watched rip trippers and some videos recently and decided to wash my 4th day coil not burned yet. i couldnt find alcohol and washed with very hot water and waited some time and dried it some time. smok gct ni200 coil run it tc mode but always says temp. protection even high voltage and high temp. settings i think coil is gone :) what can be reason for it i didnt go in through coil only washed and waited.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Are you getting any vapor?

Keep in mind that Nickel heats up much faster than other wires used for vaping. A Nickel coil almost always hits the limit, regardless of where you set the temp.

You haven't ever used that Nickel coil in power (wattage) mode, have you?

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
+1. Prime it again, and carefully. Take several pulls on the mouthpiece without pressing the button. Then try again. I doubt you have destroyed a coil washing it with water-- back in my pre-fab coil days I did it all the time, although TC had not then been invented-- but water vaporizes more easily than e-juice, so the coil may simply be hitting temp protection from this. If all else fails, remove it, replace it with another, and let it air dry for a week or so. Welcome to the board.

broncotr

May 14, 2017
Are you getting any vapor?

Keep in mind that Nickel heats up much faster than other wires used for vaping. A Nickel coil almost always hits the limit, regardless of where you set the temp.

You haven't ever used that Nickel coil in power (wattage) mode, have you?
very little vapor, no only tc mod

Reactions: stols001

broncotr

May 14, 2017
+1. Prime it again, and carefully. Take several pulls on the mouthpiece without pressing the button. Then try again. I doubt you have destroyed a coil washing it with water-- back in my pre-fab coil days I did it all the time, although TC had not then been invented-- but water vaporizes more easily than e-juice, so the coil may simply be hitting temp protection from this. If all else fails, remove it, replace it with another, and let it air dry for a week or so. Welcome to the board.
i will prime again do you prefer alcohol or water because with hot water my coils cotton is back whitish but wire the same little black.. or alcohol will be same ? because we dont dryburn the wire

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
hi i watched rip trippers and some videos recently and decided to wash my 4th day coil not burned yet. i couldnt find alcohol and washed with very hot water and waited some time and dried it some time. smok gct ni200 coil run it tc mode but always says temp. protection even high voltage and high temp. settings i think coil is gone :) what can be reason for it i didnt go in through coil only washed and waited.

Hola,
What device are you using?
At what power level? (watts)
At what temp?

Cheers
I

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Were you getting vapor at all before you washed it? How old is the coil? Also, it could just be a dud coil, though it sounds like if the cotton is black, you used it before? Maybe it got too "gunked" to be useful anymore, that's a possibility as well....

Good luck, I routinely rinse and reuse nautilus coils, and I've heard of folks doing the same thing with smok coils, but not nickel coils. IDK much about that type of coil.

Best of luck with it,

Anna

Reactions: broncotr

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
i will prime again do you prefer alcohol or water because with hot water my coils cotton is back whitish but wire the same little black.. or alcohol will be same ? because we dont dryburn the wire
Either will work, but having washed it in water I'd continue as alcohol (alcohols, plural, all of them) is less viscous than water.

broncotr

May 14, 2017
Were you getting vapor at all before you washed it? How old is the coil? Also, it could just be a dud coil, though it sounds like if the cotton is black, you used it before? Maybe it got too "gunked" to be useful anymore, that's a possibility as well....

Good luck, I routinely rinse and reuse nautilus coils, and I've heard of folks doing the same thing with smok coils, but not nickel coils. IDK much about that type of coil.

Best of luck with it,

Anna
no it was working before maybe right its nickel coil

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well I guess that's theoretically possible. I don't wash my coils with that though, though alcohol is a good solvent in some ways, mainly b/c I think it would be a pain trying to get rid of it. If you use drinkable ETOH it might be less toxic, but you might have to deal with an interesting tasting coil for a bit.

Anna

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
The temp protection it's a problem I remember form the days I made nickel coils for the earlier vaporizers. The newer vaporizers are much better and handle SS coils very well. I've always used temp mode so this has really helped me.
The Voopoo is a lower priced vaporizer that works as well as higher priced units.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think I read somewhere on another thread that smok mods don't do temp control that well. I'm not sure I'd use it for nickel, where you need some rather accurate TC. Do you have the option of a SS coil in your tank? I might rather use that for TC with a smok mod. Or you could try another mod, that's better known for TC, it's more important to have some good accuracy with Ni has been my experience. The coil can melt, or just overheat leeching stuff into your vape juice, though I think things have to get rather extreme to get to that point. But, if you are having a not so good experience, it may be that smok TC has burned through your Ni coil. If you have another mod to try it on, that might help you figure that out?

Anna

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
but alcohol can purify the cotton and wire better right?
Yes. Alcohol dissolves the juice components better than water, or rather faster. But, being less viscous than water, it will have trouble soaking a water-wet wick. It would have been better if you had started with alcohol-- I recommend Everclear unless you have a neighborhood moonshiner, you don't want to use Isopropyl Alcohol-- but having started with water I'd stay there for this time. If you really want to try alcohol, drop the coil in a shot glass of it and leave it there for a day or more. The alc will mix with the water and invade the coil, but it'll take a while.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I think the thing with Smok is they only provide Kanthal in there atomizers and therefore there is no temp control with the atomizers. They do put in SS coils in there RBA decks and they work well the Smok unit I have.
I did some checking on the tank, rather old and it comes with the .2 ohm coil. Put it in wattage mode and try it 20 to 3O or so watts, then try again in temp nickel mode.
I just saw the "pico mod 450 f 50 watt" Pico uses different resistances and 50 watts is high for .20 ohms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread