Smok GPRIV compatibility and temp controll

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOWLY

Mar 13, 2017
Hey, I recently bought smok G-PRIV, and running smok big baby beast with it, tho Im trying to learn and understand this stuff :D, currently as I understand my coils does not allow to run with temp mode, and the coils are kinda old, so I am thinking of getting smok cloud beast, that one does not run with temp mode as well only W, well unless the custom RBA thing right? (I am not really planning to mess with that, unless its safe to do?) my questions are:

1. Does it require knowlage and safety issues to mess with the RBA?
2. Is temp mode on vape making the vape better or its just another way of using your coils and the taste is same?
3. If temp control is worth it, which head should I pick that goes well with smok G-Priv?

I cant wait for your answers! Thanks in advance. :)

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
2. Is temp mode on vape making the vape better or its just another way of using your coils and the taste is same?
3. If temp control is worth it, which head should I pick that goes well with smok G-Priv?

1. Yes it will require knowledge of Ohms law to build the coils safely. Steam-engine.org is a good site for coil building , etc. Plus there will be a lot more comments to follow in the morning.
2. Temp control is used for different wire types. You would only venture into that if using Nickel, Titanium, and Stainless Steel wire for your builds using the RBA. With the CB you may be happy with just using the Q4 coil. SS built coils can be run in Power/wattage mode also.
3. Temp control is personal preference. Some people use different wire types some just stick with kanthal happily.
There are settings to fine tune the TC wire with but it all depends on the wire type also.

I look at TC settings like a luxury item in my car. I may use it sometime but might not.
Hth a bit.

Sent from tomorrow

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Hey, I recently bought smok G-PRIV, and running smok big baby beast with it, tho Im trying to learn and understand this stuff :D, currently as I understand my coils does not allow to run with temp mode, and the coils are kinda old, so I am thinking of getting smok cloud beast, that one does not run with temp mode as well only W, well unless the custom RBA thing right? (I am not really planning to mess with that, unless its safe to do?) my questions are:

I cant wait for your answers! Thanks in advance. :)

Temp Control on any mod, requires certain wire materials, namely Ni200 Nickel (all TC mods support this, but most newer mods support more which the G-Priv does, TC only mode), Ti1 Titanium (TC only Mode), or SS316L Stainless Steel Wire (TC or Wattage Mode very flexible in settings it can be used at), the G-Priv being newer should support all 3 of these wire types. TC is a little more advanced that Variable Wattage, the special wires needed have resistance curves when heated that the mod can read in real time during firing and as resistance increases drastically with these wires when heated, the mod is able to calculate a guess what temp the wire is at, once the set TC Temp Cap is reached it Pulse Width Modulates the voltage signal to maintain that temperature without continuing to increase temperature higher as VW mode does. TC mode is there if you are worried about the different chemicals produced in a vape, namely at certain temperatures can cause scorching of the wicking which can create formaldehyde and other chemicals, setting the TC Cap setting below that temperature, even with a dry wick the mod will not go into that zone of creating formaldehydes and such. Just like VW mode, you have to set a max wattage you like, but with TC mode you have to dial it in even further, starting low TC cap and increase it every few vapes until you hit that pizazz spot in flavor, vapor, and throat hit you like.

TC mode can seem a little weaker than straight VW mode does as it doesn't get as hot as standard VW mode, thus why a lot of people do not like it, it reaches set TC cap and maintains it there. As far as tanks and such that have TC mode coil heads, you'll have to research what it out there as most if not all will work on the G-Priv given the tank to mod connection is a standardized 510 connection, example the Joyetech Ego Mega One Tank would work and does have Ni200 and Ti1 coil heads available, though not as airy as the Baby Beast, there are other tanks out there that have Ni200, Ti1, or SS316L coil heads, so just have to research and find one you might like. To make the Baby Beast TC capable, yes would need to use the RBA head, which is a little more complex and you would need to purchase the supplies and tools needed. Namely a jewelers screw driver set (which can be used as mandrels to wrap the wire with, generally comes in a set of 6), flush cut wire cutters (can find these are beading supply stores, hobby stores, and electronics stores), maybe a pair of needle nose pliers, pair of good sharp scissors, some organic, unbleached, non-peroxide treated cotton (cotton balls, Ko Gen Do or Muji Japanese Cotton Pads, Cotton Bacon, Rayon Cellulose Cotton, etc), and some SS316L wire in two gauges to start 28awg (thinner with higher resistance) and 26awg (thicker with lower resistance) to practice with, you can use the mod as an Ohm reader until you can buy a dedicated Ohm reader. A good investment would be a small package of #14 Machinist Screws (there are a couple of methods of wrapping coils side by side contact where all wire in the coil is touching the neighbor wrap, and spaced with gaps between the coil wraps, TC works best in spaced set up to be most accurate) which will help wrapping the TC coil uniformly.

After that you should get on Youtube, there are dozens of videos out there on how to wrap a coil, mount it, and wick it, it just takes practice, investing in a cheap clone RDA (rebuildable dripping atomizer) is highly advised to practice with, the deck is larger and it doesn't take your tank out of commission while you are practicing.

Safety issues, google and read up on "Ohm's Law", as we deal with electricity this Law of formulas come into play with vaping, the two formulas we use the most are "Fresh Charge Voltage/Resitance=Max Amps (Unregulated and Mechanical Mods)" and "Watts Set/Lowest Voltage Before Mod Shutdown/90%=Max Amps (this is for Regulated Mods which you G-Priv falls into this category)". Reason a focus on Amps, is the batteries are the limiting factor here, go over their Continuous Discharge Rate in Amps, can lead to disasters and expensive hospital bills if not careful, learning to rebuild on a regulated mod adds all its safety features in to decrease this hazard. Know what your mod can handle for resistance (Ohms), most the range is 0.1ohm to 3.0ohms, Ni200 some mods in Ni200 TC Mode can handle 0.05ohms and up in that mode only, Ni200 has very, very, very low resistance per inch compare to other wires, thus why I suggest SS316L as it can be used in both TC and Wattage modes and a bit easier to work with. You'll need to learn to trouble shoot any problems, if the mod kicks a short or no atomizer error you'll need to learn to diagnose what is the problem from the coil connections down through the tank to the mod if it does. Rebuilding isn't that hard, just takes time, practice, and willingness to trouble shoot any problems that arise with error codes and such, first few coils may seem ugly and lack luster compared to Ytube vids, but that is where the practice comes in, if you are getting on in age, having a magnifying stand or magnifying visor helps out immensely (speaking from experience here as my older eyes are not what they used to be).

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I have the Smok G-Priv also, I have 2 RBA deck TFV8 tanks I use it with with. I also have the TFV12 which also has a RBA deck I like but the TFV8 is my favorite. If you buy a Big Baby Beast tank a RBA deck comes with it and this includes a special size glass when using the deck. If you buy the RBA Deck for a Big Baby Beast a tank the glass you need is not included. The RBA's include the 2 SS Clapton coils, I have a total resistance of .40 ohms, another one has a different resistance so I made my own coil to keep them the same.
When I first got the Smok G-Priv I remember I used an Atomizer, it lasted a long time, I always used it in the temp mode. You'd have to open the tank and see what type of coil is in it. I wouldn't go with the cloud Beast KingBut to each their own, It's overkill for me and the Big Baby Beast delivers good flavor and vapor.

Reactions: LOWLY

LOWLY

Mar 13, 2017
I have the Smok G-Priv also, I have 2 RBA deck TFV8 tanks I use it with with. I also have the TFV12 which also has a RBA deck I like but the TFV8 is my favorite. If you buy a Big Baby Beast tank a RBA deck comes with it and this includes a special size glass when using the deck. If you buy the RBA Deck for a Big Baby Beast a tank the glass you need is not included. The RBA's include the 2 SS Clapton coils, I have a total resistance of .40 ohms, another one has a different resistance so I made my own coil to keep them the same.
When I first got the Smok G-Priv I remember I used an Atomizer, it lasted a long time, I always used it in the temp mode. You'd have to open the tank and see what type of coil is in it. I wouldn't go with the cloud Beast KingBut to each their own, It's overkill for me and the Big Baby Beast delivers good flavor and vapor.
Nice, thanks, yeh alot of people are sayng big baby beast is good and I dont hear that much about cloud beast, thanks, I am probibally going to pick up new coils then for big baby beast and then learn how to build RBA in the mean time while I use them, since one is burnt up, and other is kinda dodgy, thanks for info and the opinion! :)

Reactions: Tonee N

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
The Big Baby Beast is a very good tank, the coils is a simple quick fix. There are leaking issues with the tank, a coil wire at the bottom of the tank can cause it to leak a simple fix is to move the wire so the gasket can seal. There are also issues with the RBA and you have to be careful when putting it together or it can be shorted or open. The G-Priv and tank have become my favorite.

LOWLY

Mar 13, 2017
The Big Baby Beast is a very good tank, the coils is a simple quick fix. There are leaking issues with the tank, a coil wire at the bottom of the tank can cause it to leak a simple fix is to move the wire so the gasket can seal. There are also issues with the RBA and you have to be careful when putting it together or it can be shorted or open. The G-Priv and tank have become my favorite.

Bought today big baby beast new coils, thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread