Smok R-Kiss Mod Kit 200w with TFV8 Baby V2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
Hi ECF members, In this review i take a look at the R-Kiss mod Kit 200w with TFV8 Baby V2 from smok. The R-Kiss Mod Kit 200w with TFV8 Baby V2 was supplied for the purpose of this review by Ruby from smok.

R-Kiss EU edition - SMOK® Innovation keeps changing the vaping experience!

R-Kiss - SMOK® Innovation keeps changing the vaping experience!

Introduction

The latest device from Smok is a slight departure from the usual Smok device as it's a high powered simple wattage only device yet maintains a full colour screen despite having no menu system, just adjust wattage and vape. Like the Species we see the R-Kiss paired up with the TFV8 Baby V2 with the EU version having the mini version of the tank to be TPD compliant. This really is a very simple device with not much to talk about especially when i've already covered the tank and both supplied coils in the past, so let's crack on!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the Box

Contents:

1pc R-Kiss Mod
1pc TFV-Mini V2 Tank (5ml standard edition/2ml EU edition)
1pc Mini V2 A1 0.17ohm Single Coil (Pre-installed)
1pc Mini V2 A2 0.2ohm Dual Coils
1pc USB Cable
1pc User Manual
Spare Parts

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The R-Kiss Kit came in the usual Cardboard box packaging that products from Smok come in. I received the Black Red version the first colour in the description refers to the body the second the side bars and buttons. The other available versions are Red Black, Silver Black, Gold Black and Navy Blue & Prism Chrome. The side bars are red, one is fixed the other is the fire bar, the back of the device is plain with "R-KISS" printed in White central bottom. The front of the device has "SMOK" printed in White central top then underneath this is the colour screen, below the screen to the left and right we have the Red navigational buttons followed by the micro USB port central bottom. The base of the device is the hatch door and has printed safety stamps, moving to the top we have a centre 510 plate with Gold plated, spring loaded 510. The device is pocket friendly with dimensions of 77*44*28 it's not much bigger than a single battery device while still being able to accommodate fair size tanks. I hear it all the time in threads but in the last 12 months i have had no issues with Smoks build quality and the R-Kiss is very well made with a good finish and no rattles whatsoever.

R-Kiss Kit Specs and Features:

Mod Size: 44*28*77mm
Output Voltage: 0.5V-8.2V
Power Range: 6W-200W
Resistance Range: 0.1ohm-2.5ohm (VW)
Standby Current: <500uA
TFT Colour screen
Tank Material: Stainless Steel
Top-fill
Lock mechanism
Tri-airflow slots
Capacity: 5ml (2ml EU edition)
Thread: 510
Colours: Black Red, Red Black, Silver Black, Gold Black, Navy Blue and Prism Chrome

TFV8 Baby V2

The TFV8 V2 is the same tank that came with the Species Kit i recently reviewed and like with the Species the EU version comes with the Mini version of the tank. The coils are also identical so i concentrated on the R-Kiss device using it with other tanks but picture the device with both versions of the tank. Rather than leaving the need for those interested to go to the species review i have copied that overview below:

TFV8 Baby V2 Overview

The TFV8 Baby V2 is the long awaited update to the TFV8 Baby that seems to of been around forever. I am not going to go into great detail as the TFV8 Baby has been reviewed so many times i really only see it necessary to point out the changes to the tank. The top of the tank has had a lot of work done to it with a lock mechanism added like we have on the prince, the seal has also been moved to the underside of the top-cap and the fill port is far bigger, so far so good. At the bottom of the tank we now have tri airflow slots and they are very wide, the protruding 510 is Gold plated and non adjustable. The tank comes in a mini version which has a straight glass making the capacity TPD compliant, the bulge glass that takes the standard version to 5ml bulges out quite far, i actually like the look. I am not a fan of the drip tip, it's a sleeve that fits over the central protruding section on top of the tank, this section has o-rings to secure the sleeve. The drip tip is comfortable enough but i like the option of using my own which isn't possible. The two coils included with the kit are both mesh coils, they are the Baby V2 A1 0.17-ohm Single Mesh Coil rated at between 90w and 140w with best between 110w and 130w, the other coil is the Baby V2 A2 0.2-ohm Dual Mesh Coil which is rated between 70w and 120w with a best between 85w and 105w.

Fitting The Batteries

The R-Kiss accommodates dual 18650 batteries which are fitted via the common battery hatch door, orientation is clearly marked within the battery compartment but yet again Black on Black on the hatch door (Jeez i'm really considering sending a small tin of White paint to all the manufacturers). The door is sturdy both while open and with the batteries installed, a really good job it's very secure and no movement whatsoever.

The Display

The Colour Display is very simple and well laid out, it's bright and sharp. Top left we have a row of 4 circles each with a different colour fill, top right we have the 2 battery indication bars. The whole centre section is taken up by the wattage being displayed in large font and "W" to indicate that's what the value refers to. The bottom of the display has large circles to the left and right and a smaller circle positioned centrally. Inside the left circle we have the resistance, the right circle has the voltage and finally displayed inside the central circle is seconds vaped.

Navigating The R-Kiss

The R-Kiss is aimed at those that just want a simple device yet wouldn't mind still having a full colour screen, to turn both on and off is the usual 5 clicks of the fire button. Once on as far as operating functions it's just the left button to decrease the wattage and right button to increase the wattage. The wattage alters in point 1 increments but holding one of the buttons down causes the device to switch to 1W increments, it adjusts between 6W and 200W and with a button pressed down it scrolls very quickly. There are no combination key presses (apart from 1 which i will come to) and as far as i can work out the device can't be locked which will be a con although the screen goes off after 15 seconds and needs to be woken up by squeezing the fire bar so it sort of works as an automatic lock. The only other feature the device as is to take advantage of having a colour screen, there is the 4 circles top left of the display each with a different colour fill. Pressing the left and right buttons together moves you to the next colour in the row of 4 and which ever one you pick becomes the colour of the display, you have the choice of Yellow, Red, White or Blue.

Using The Device

To start with what i didn't use and that was the tank for 2 reasons, the main reason is i have used and reviewed not just the tank but also the same 2 supplied coils before. Both coils give very good flavour as you would expect from mesh coils but the other reason i didn't use the tank is because i find the airflow turbulent so i enjoyed the device with other tanks.
The R-Kiss fires instantly and the small size and having the fire bar makes the device very ergonomic, it's also a very pocket friendly dual battery device. I had no issues with the R-Kiss and all wattage's i vaped at seemed accurate. I don't have access to data but when it comes to power mode Smok fair well and with the R-Kiss not being claimed over 200W i would expect it will do the full 200 or be damn near. The R-Kiss is a small device but will accommodate up to 26mm tanks without overhang, i also found the battery life slightly better than the average dual 18650 device probably helped by it's simplicity and that the device goes on standby after only 15 seconds. The R-Kiss supports on board charging and is fully firmware upgradeable.

Final Thoughts

The R-Kiss is a simple, little solid performer although i'm not a fan of the airflow on the supplied tank. With all the device's continuously being released you would think it would be difficult to find an area in the market place where there is a shortage of options but i believe Smok have took advantage of one area with the R-Kiss. Most variable wattage only devices tend to have mono screens and usually quite small with the R-Kiss they can keep it simple while enjoying a full colour screen.

Solid device
Nice finish
Simple to use
Colour display
Pocket friendly
Good battery life
Fires instantly
Fire bar
High powered
4 display colour options
15 secs device goes on standby (acts as auto lock, will annoy some people)
Tank- lock mechanism, top-fill
Mesh coils- very good flavour with both
Firmware upgradeable

Cons

Only variable wattage (pro for some, not suitable for those that use TC or curves)
No manual lock
Turbulent airflow with tank
Proprietary drip tip
No spare glass
Black on Black orientation

I would once again like to thank Ruby from Smok for supplying the R-Kiss Mod Kit 200w with TFV8 Baby V2 for the purpose of this review.

R-Kiss EU edition - SMOK® Innovation keeps changing the vaping experience!

R-Kiss - SMOK® Innovation keeps changing the vaping experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread