SMOK RPM80 making a buzzing sound when fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Is the sound coming from the power device or delivery device?
Is sound noticeable all the time or only when you press the fire button?

All 'coils' will make a sizzling, crackle type sound when functioning correctly, from barely noticeable to fairly loud.
Sizzle combined with snap crackle pop & slurpy sound indicates a flooded head.

Which mesh 'coil'?
.17Ω or .3Ω
What power ranges are you using / have you tried?

Jenna Wheelwright

Jul 29, 2020
It only makes the noise when fired. It almost sounds like an eletric buzzing, but it only happens when I push the button to fire it. I know that the crackle and pop sounds are normal. It has always done that, the sound that it is making is more of a buzz sound.

Is sound noticeable all the time or only when you press the fire button?

All 'coils' will make a sizzling, crackle type sound when functioning correctly, from barely noticeable to fairly loud.
Sizzle combined with snap crackle pop & slurpy sound indicates a flooded head.

Which mesh 'coil'?
.17Ω or .3Ω

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
It only makes the noise when fired. It almost sounds like an eletric buzzing, but it only happens when I push the button to fire it. I know that the crackle and pop sounds are normal. It has always done that, the sound that it is making is more of a buzz sound.

Which mesh 'coil'?
.17Ω or .3Ω

You may be over powering it depending on which head you're using, but, if it is vaping satisfactorily different heads, different resistances, different airflow can sound different.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Welcome to ECF, Jenna. Since I'm not familiar with the (actually, any) Smok devices I'm kinda shootin' in the dark here. It's possible the coil head is defective, in that the coil itself is not properly seated or is a bit loose in the coil head assembly.
    Can you tell if the sound comes from the mod (the unit with the battery and buttons and screen) or the pod (the eliq and coil head holder)?

MLEJ

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 14, 2020
    Just found out why there's sometimes a buzzing sound ... The device is regulating the power output based on the frequency of the electrical wave. Most modern mods regulate power output by the amplitude. How often the electric pulses come rather than the size of the pulses. FM & AM but with waves of electricity rather than radio waves. Okay, i really don't understand all that, and probably explained it poorly, but that's why there's a buzzing at certain wattage settings; you're hearing stray electricity flowing. It's a small amount and so not dangerous.

• Informative
    Reactions: ShowMeTwice
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread