Status
Not open for further replies.

SP013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Hi,
The first Water, Shock and Dust proof mod by smok, the SCAR-18, is what this review is all about.

It reminds me a lot of the aegis legend of GeekVape, IP67 certification and looks wise.

Specifications:

SMOK SCAR-18 230W Starter Kit Features:
IQ-X Chipset
Dimensions - 88mm by 54mm by 30.6mm
Dual High-Amp 18650 Batteries - Not Included
Wattage Output Range - VW Mode: 1-230W
Wattage Output Range - TC Mode: 10-230W
Voltage Output Range: 0.5-8.0V
Resistance Range - VW Mode: 0.10-2.5ohm
Resistance Range- TC Mode: 0.05-2.00ohm
Temperature Range: 200°F-600°F / 100°-315°C
VW Mode
TC Mode
Bypass Mode
Zinc-Alloy Chassis Construction
IP67 Rating - Shock, Dust, Waterproofing
Single Firing Button
0.96" TFT Display Screen
Two Adjustment Buttons
Intelligent Atomizer Recognition
Puff Monitoring System
8 Seconds Cut-off
Short Circuit Protection
Over-Heating Protection
Low-Battery Warning
MicroUSB Port
Available in Fluid 7-Color, Fluid Red, Fluid Blue, Fluid Gold, Fluid Black White, Red Stabilizing Wood, Green Stabilizing Wood, Black

SMOK TFV9 Sub-Ohm Tank Features:
28mm Diameter
6.5mL Tank Capacity
Pyrex Glass Reinforcement
Superior 304 Stainless Steel Tank Chassis
Sliding Top Fill System
SMOK TFV9 Coil Series
0.15ohm V9 Meshed Coil Series
Press Fit Coil Installation
Dual Slotted Airflow Control Ring
510 Connection
Available Rainbow and Black

In the Box:

1x SCAR-18 Mod
1x 5mL TFV9 Tank
2x 0.15ohm V9 Meshed Coil
1x Replacement Glass
1x USB Cable
1x User Manual
1x Warranty Card
1x Battery safety card

Review:
As mentioned it looks a lot like the Aegis Legend, the SCAR-18 is however a bit smaller (4mm narrower and 2mm lower) and lighter(70g lighter). It feels very properly built and lays in the hand very well, both thumb and index finger firing are comfortable.

Metal frame looks very nice, but just like all metal parts on this mod it is very prone to fingerprints. The leather used feels nice and I like the design of this specific color. Not sure if you can customize the leather part by taking of the metal frame. Silicone is well attached to the mod, not sitting loosely on any corner.

Went ahead and checked if it really is waterproof, dropped in a glass of water and left it there for 5 minutes. No issues at all, mod worked fine and had a nice clean. Did not want to go as far as dropping it or by letting a truck drive over though

Large fire button and the navigation buttons sit flush with no rattling. They all click nicely.

Generally I am not a fan of this type of battery doors as for me they always feel fragile. It takes some practice to properly close it by pushing it down properly before clicking in place. Opening the door is no issue at all. Since the battery door is mainly made from metal it is also prone to fingerprints. Also, the top of device, which has a 510 spring-loaded pin, is made from metal.

No massive screen, but a large enough screen to see what needs to be seen. Like the fact it has dual battery indication, and they seem to drain evenly. As far as I know its brightness is not adjustable, which is kind of a pity.

Funny enough this mod does not only look from the outside like a Legend, but even the menu and way of navigation is pretty much identical to the Aegis line. Main difference is that the SCAR-18 instead of brightness adjustment has theme adjustment.

5 clicks on/off, 3 clicks to activate the menu and the + and - button to scroll through the menu. Easy in use and there is for me enough functionalities as I am a wattage vaper. Apart from wattage there is TC and that’s it, no bypass mode etc.

Device reacts very well to any click and it fires up pretty much instantly. Also it seems to have constant output, even at 1% battery capacity you are getting the full power as if it has 100%, at least that’s my feeling.

TFV9 tank is what you get in the kit, and I really like this tank.

It has a quite unique fill system by pulling the top cap up and sliding the top cap to the side and away from the tank. It feels a bit fragile while opening and closing, but after 2 weeks of use I didn’t have any issues with it. Its child proof system is always a good thing as I have a kid.

Because of the system the rubber plug gets a bit deformed overtime, that is why SMOK included another one in case it needs replacement. Large enough fill hole for easy filling.

Coils are screwed into the base, a system which I overall am not a fan off, I am more a fan of plug systems, but then again, those systems don’t use large high wattage coils. Screwing coils on and off is smooth.

Airflow has one large sleeve, but the base of the tank has two sleeves, probably to make the base more solid. It is quite loud this airflow, no matter if its fully open or almost closed, it also whistles when the airflow is about 80% closed, pity.

If its about flavor and performance there is nothing to complain. These new Nichrome mesh coils deliver outstanding flavor and have a proper lifespan. Been using the initial coil for 2 weeks now and it still performs well. It says the coils are recommended from 40-90 Watts, but I have a feeling that above 80W they are having trouble keeping up and providing a dryer hit. I liked vaping these coils most at 75W, at which it has no issues with chain vaping.

Not sure about the coil options, on the SMOK website I can only find this one V9 Meshed coil that is compatible.

Conclusion:

A lovely kit if you ask me. Even though it has a lot in common as the Aegis Legend from Geekvape it still has its unique twist to it. It is a comfortable mod with enough functionalities for me personally. It being IP67 is always a plus.

Overall would recommend this kit to anyone that is looking for a nice dual battery mod that includes a tank that delivers well. I am not going to say if I prefer the Legend or Scar-18, as they are so similar, and both have some uniqueness to them. Try it out for yourself, I can assure that both won’t disappoint.

If anything, I don’t like it is mainly to do with the tank being loud and the fill method feeling a bit fragile. If it’s about the mod, the metal is too prone to fingerprints.

Special thanks to @SMOK_Sophia for sending me this kit for review.

Let me know if you have any questions! Take care.

SP013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread