Smok TFV4 - how well does the swing topcap stay shut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fargazer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2014
United States
I've seen reviews of the smok TFV4, but although everyone praises the ease to open the topcap by swiveling it out of the way, no one has said anything about how robust the hinge is, what keeps it shut (metal snap, friction with the fill port hold, or the like), and whether one would have to worry about it opening when in a pocket.

Now that a few are escaping into the wild, can anyone give me some idea?

cjpeltz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2014
United States
Suggest reading the main thread on this - Smok TFV4 Sub Ohm Tank | Page 14 | E-Cigarette Forum

Rixsta had commented already some wear on this -

"Something else I've noticed this morning, no long does the top snap shut, it has already started to wear, when you close it on the hinge, where the metal meets doesn't stay shut like it used to, I wouldn't mind but the tank isn't that old. Once that starts to wear, it's not going to seal the top properly and I have had to use the SMOK vape band to secure the top, that explains why they ship with those then, it's not a kind gesture, it's a necessity. Metal rubbing on metal, one thing is going to happen, the metal will wear and that's exactly what has happened. To make it worse, the tank looks ugly with that thick band on it too and it's not as if you can put a normal vape band on because of the extra width of the tank, it stretches the band to much and doesn't look right.. These are not the kind of problems I expect from a tank that is a week old (my fiirst one was stolen)"

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Suggest reading the main thread on this - Smok TFV4 Sub Ohm Tank | Page 14 | E-Cigarette Forum

Rixsta had commented already some wear on this -

"Something else I've noticed this morning, no long does the top snap shut, it has already started to wear, when you close it on the hinge, where the metal meets doesn't stay shut like it used to, I wouldn't mind but the tank isn't that old. Once that starts to wear, it's not going to seal the top properly and I have had to use the SMOK vape band to secure the top, that explains why they ship with those then, it's not a kind gesture, it's a necessity. Metal rubbing on metal, one thing is going to happen, the metal will wear and that's exactly what has happened. To make it worse, the tank looks ugly with that thick band on it too and it's not as if you can put a normal vape band on because of the extra width of the tank, it stretches the band to much and doesn't look right.. These are not the kind of problems I expect from a tank that is a week old (my fiirst one was stolen)"

If you are using this as Q.C. disaster Propaganda :facepalm:

Everyone has their own way of using and abusing their gear.
Beyond - My top cap has gotten loose on the hinge/seal - everything else is assumption, speculation and bi...in.

I haven't even received mine yet and understand you need to apply down force then closing to smoothly lock. Otherwise you may wear the latch out.
Air leak from the top - Check Seal fit. replace if needed. It comes with a spare.

Hell, I've already seen a few with the seal in upside down and the user never noticing:facepalm:

I'd don't pay a lot of attention to what some users post and take the time to educate myself on the Pruduct.............in hand.

All tanks have seals
All seals can wear
Tank parts can fail

What makes them Good is knowing how to take care and if needed repair.
Well that and keeping them out of the hands of the inexperienced.

Wruff

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2014
Vapeville, USA
Mine's quite loose, like the day I bought it. The only thing that keeps it in place is the latex "smok" band that can be fitted around the top of the tank.
20151010_181931.jpg

faeriekitsune

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
So. MD
My SO is in construction so he's a bit rough on gear. The TFV still works properly after about a month and a half, but we use the band around the fill port because when dragging it in and out of pockets the top can get snagged and rotate.

As for your actual questions, the lid itself hooks under the main top to prevent it being pulled up and the friction on the silicone mat under the fill port prevents it from swinging open. I have noticed with use the silicone mat becomes distorted which can allow it to open easier, I usually fix that by switching to the spare that was provided and letting the other rest for awhile to "spring" back into shape. Also, make sure the ridged side is facing up, it doesn't really work well upside down.

As for pockets, I think that really depends on the user. When I put a mod in my pocket, I generally have the top of the tank and drip tip sticking out so I don't have any issues. But if you put the entire thing in your pocket, just be careful when removing it. The drip tip can snag and cause the top to rotate, however we have not had any problems with it opening while still in the pocket. Only upon removal.

Reactions: Haadkoe
I have had full size TFV4 for a few weeks now. The hinge is a bit loose but the gasket keeps it snug. Just make sure the flappy parts of the gasket are inside the fill hole and not resting on it. Never had a leak on it, never had it open in pocket.

edit: I noticed further up another user puts the gasket ridges up, which I found makes it looser. Try putting the grips down, you want a clean and smooth seal from the smooth underside. The ridges are there to grab onto the inside of the top

USACelt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
Desert Southwest
Okay so I have had Mine for a while, not a EDV device but in rotation. So I put Mine in the pocket and did the everyday routine around here, and YES I found the top will open, with out the band on it. So I say to Myself.
"DO I WANT juice in My pocket or not" Given the design of the tank. And My monkey intelligence I say. "Hay If you want to carry a top fill tank in your hog washers maybe I should put a band on it". So that is what I did.
I still enjoy the tank to its fullest and VAPE on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread