Smok TFV8 Baby Beast Tank coil dry hit. Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacobtliu

Feb 12, 2018
I got my smok osub baby 80 watt about 2 weeks ago. It worked fine when I got it but recently, when I set the power to 50-55 watt, even with full tank of liquid, I get dry hits. My normal hit are about 3 seconds which is not long at all, and I let my coil soaked completely (about 15-30 minutes). Anyone else having the similar issue or had it and fixed it? I'm really confused rn. My coil is q2 40-80 watt and best at 55-65 watt. It's not working as it says

Reactions: stols001

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Don't believe what the recommended wattage is for any coil. Their almost always inflated. I use a Q2 at 40W and our works well. While your may be meeting or air before use, are you staying or at low power and slowly work your way up? Or just jumping right to 50W?

Priming should involve placing several drops of juice inside the coil to saturate the cotton. A few unpowered draws helps pull nice into the cotton. Starting at a low wattage and working your way up a few watts at a time prevents the coil from getting scorched with too much power when it might still not be fully saturated. Obviously the current coil in burned and won't vape well. Stay or with another coil and try the priming and power warmup described. Stop increasing power when it tastes good to you with decent vapor. Don't be surprised if it's lower than the "recommended".

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I think I typically vape the Q2's at up to 30w max. For me, they are a really nice vape at that level and don't need to go any higher.

Agree the ratings on the coil shouldn't be used as a reference for how they should work. Just start low and find a level that works for you. Just because the coil states ranges doesn't mean you have to vape them in those boundaries. Plus they will last longer if you don't push them as hard.

Eskie gave good advice on priming them for initial use. Every time I break in a new coil, I start low like this and work up slowly. Easy to toast them if you just drop one in and vape them at your expected wattage.

Reactions: stols001

crayfishx

Oct 18, 2013
Malaga, Spain
I recently bought a TFV8 big baby tank that came with two Q2 coils - even at 30W I was experiencing dry burnt hits - I love the tank but I've found the Smok made coils to be impossible. I got the chimney extender to convert it to a normal size (from the TPD version) and put in my Pro C1 coils by Joyetech - so far it's performed great in my big baby, I normally don't push them beyond 33W as I find thats enough to get a really enjoyable vape and they last a long long time at that wattage (my liquid is not super gunky)

AshKicker

Mar 10, 2018
Chicago
I got my smok osub baby 80 watt about 2 weeks ago. It worked fine when I got it but recently, when I set the power to 50-55 watt, even with full tank of liquid, I get dry hits. My normal hit are about 3 seconds which is not long at all, and I let my coil soaked completely (about 15-30 minutes). Anyone else having the similar issue or had it and fixed it? I'm really confused rn. My coil is q2 40-80 watt and best at 55-65 watt. It's not working as it says
Either use different coils from different companies including
  • Eleaf HW coils [30W Pick! - Consistent build quality]
  • Eleaf HW-1 SS316 coil [TC Pick! - Only TC offering]
  • E-XY T1 coils
  • Geekvape iM1+4 coils
  • iJoy XS coils
  • Jomo Tech Smartvape TC80 coils
  • Joyetech ProCore Aries coils [Do NOT fit 22mm tanks]
  • Joyetech ProCore C1-S MTL coil [MTL Pick! - Only MTL offering]
  • Sigelei SLYDR SM coils
  • SMOK TFV8 baby coils
  • Vapefly Fantasy Mini M8 coils