Smok TFV8 Leaking out air holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

strykr

Oct 16, 2010
Edmonton, Canada
So I have a tfv4 since release and just picked up one of these new beasts, I was happy to hear they fixed the leaking issues and made it easier to build. But upon cleaning it and filling it up for the first time this thing leaks the WHOLE tank out of the air holes! I haven't had this issue with my tfv4 and yes I tighten everything so I shouldn't have a seal leak.

I did prime the coils before installing and than filled the tank and let it sit for an hour. After letting it sit I went to use it and every time I opened the holes it just poured out everywhere.

So I ripped it apart, cleaned it and than refilled it without priming obviously as the coil was unused.. Again leaking everywhere.. I'm getting really ...... as I've been looking forward to this tank.

Does anyone have an idea what my issue might be?? I couldn't find anything as this tank is still to new:/

Reactions: Talie

strykr

Oct 16, 2010
Edmonton, Canada
You had me worried, as I have one being delivered tomorrow, glad you got it sorted!

Sorry about that! Now to see if I can get a replacement (doubtful) since it was a factory defect. Good luck, you'll enjoy it! I'm loving mine with the Q4 coil, just wish the original installed coil was good since the T8 is supposed to be the best coil, but I'll have to wait for a new one.

strykr

Oct 16, 2010
Edmonton, Canada
I had a uwell crown which wasn't as good as everyone made it seem plus kept having bad batches of coiks. So I decided to try the tfv4 after all the good reviews and loved the flavour and clouds a LOT! Was waiting to try the TFV8 to see how much better it was and I'm very surprised the flavour is 3x the taste and the clouds are massive! This TFV8 hands down has to be the BEST tank at the moment, haven't found a tank to come close to the flavour, and I haven't eve tried the RBA for it yet because I'm happy using the Q4. The tank lasts all day vaping at 110 on my DNA200.

Other than the leaking issue I had with the other coil this thing is perfect. I doubt the seal issue will be a big issue as the other two ones I've seen locally didn't have that problem and they were part of the same batch.

ChicoCanada

Jul 6, 2016
Juice leaking out your airflow holes? Some TFV8 coils have a manufacturing quality control problem. This fixes the issue.

As the air heats up inside the tank, it expands and pushes the juice out the defect in the coil's seal at the base and it spews out the airflow holes. Hopefully this will be resolved by SMOK soon. In the meantime, follow this simple fix.
https://youtu.be/Bu9J5cIMUyk

jawbonejim

Jun 4, 2015
Has anyone used this with the RX200? Does it have the same 510 connection issues as the tfv4? If so is there a fix around this?

Also, as far as batteries - would 3 LG HG2s be suitable and capable of safely firing the tfv8 up at 200w with the 0.15ohm coil? I'm struggling with the concept of using 3 batteries - does this mean everything is essentially divided by 3 when I'm trying to work things out?

How about the possibility of coil rebuilds as well? Not seeing anything in the way of tutorials yet but I know it hasn't been out for too long. On the other hand the coils do look extremely complex so maybe it's more hassle than it's worth. How long are people getting on these coils?

ChicoCanada

Jul 6, 2016
I use my TFV8 only with my RX200 and no issues, fits like it should. There are several build videos on Youtube. I have been using the quad coil for only three or four days and so far so good. As for how long, I am assuming one week on average, maybe longer. It depends on how much you vape, at what temps/watts and what juice you vape. Juices with sucralose will gunk up your coils very fast and give you that burnt flavour. Juices with Ethyl Maltol as a sweetener, dramatically less. I have gone about 3 weeks on a Aspire Ceito coil.

ChicoCanada

Jul 6, 2016
Cheers for that @ChicoCanada - here's hoping mine fits too. I see they've updated the rx200 to 250w. On 3 LG HG2s what would be the highest possible safe wattage at 0.15ohms on the TFV8? The use of 3 batteries is throwing me a bit even still.

Those are excellent batteries and they can handle it all. If you use the coils, stay within the range specified on the coils so you don't burn the cotton and you're good.

jawbonejim

Jun 4, 2015
Done some calculations on the hg2s and figured better safe than sorry so won't go over 180w with them. P=IV so 20A*9V. With the RX200 the 3 batteries are in series and regulated to a minimum of 3V hence the numbers I've used. I'll let you know how I get on! If I do find 180w aint enough which I highly doubt I'll just pick up some 30A batteries as my second set. Definitely need to give the rba a shot as well. Is the mods ohmmeter to be trusted or am I better just buying a separate one? Seems the rba is by far the most cost effective!

jawbonejim

Jun 4, 2015
This being said I'm now super confused why it's safe to vape at 0.15ohms when the three batteries are in series and my continuous current is 20A. R=P/Isquared so 180W/400=0.45ohms. Is it down to the fact that all the Atty sees would be the 180w produced from the mod and that it's essentially a separate circuit so the 20A from my batteries doesn't come in to play? Is that what's going on there?

Juice leaking out your airflow holes? Some TFV8 coils have a manufacturing quality control problem. This fixes the issue.

As the air heats up inside the tank, it expands and pushes the juice out the defect in the coil's seal at the base and it spews out the airflow holes. Hopefully this will be resolved by SMOK soon. In the meantime, follow this simple fix.

Same thing happened with the Kanger subtank coils a while back. I could see the bad seal on the bottom coil wire. Not many bad ones but they should have cought it.

eastcoastin1985

Jul 14, 2016
Hi all i know im a little late getting to writing on this forum post but for anyone having leaking issues with the smok tfv8 like myself and others just trying to be of some help. I stopped the leaking by not wicking the cotton on the sides of the coil head since they are so exposed and they will wick pretty well once you drop the juice in there. and this might sound silly but put the coil head on the top cap first so you know its tight. nothing else really but for peace of mind since the top fill is different than alot of other tanks try not to refiill the tank when its hot so you dont possibly release alot of air pressure. the wicking is the biggest thing just wanted to mention the others. oh and watch out for some of the coils because me and some others got some that were not properly put together. Like on my tfq4 coil the seal was not properly placed and wire from the coil was holding it up. Only one i had to fix but others mentioned other coils too so keep an eye out.

Destini

Jul 19, 2016
So I have a tfv4 since release and just picked up one of these new beasts, I was happy to hear they fixed the leaking issues and made it easier to build. But upon cleaning it and filling it up for the first time this thing leaks the WHOLE tank out of the air holes! I haven't had this issue with my tfv4 and yes I tighten everything so I shouldn't have a seal leak.

I did prime the coils before installing and than filled the tank and let it sit for an hour. After letting it sit I went to use it and every time I opened the holes it just poured out everywhere.

So I ripped it apart, cleaned it and than refilled it without priming obviously as the coil was unused.. Again leaking everywhere.. I'm getting really ...... as I've been looking forward to this tank.

Does anyone have an idea what my issue might be?? I couldn't find anything as this tank is still to new:/

Mine did this too the TFV8 and the Fuchai 213 BUT its because I didn't have it turned up enough. Crank that sucker up and it doesn't leak!!! I keep mine at 100-125 WATTS hasn't leaked since, and believe me I too was getting ...... off..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread