Smok Trinity or Orion DNA..... What's your preference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
What will matter are the quality of the pods, their coil, wicking, and airflow. I can tell you the Orion pods are excellent performers with a long life span. The Smok stuff I have zero idea. Given that the only thing Smok coils seem to be good for these days is clouds, I'm not sure how that'll work in a pod system. Maybe ask in the Nord thread in pod mods for some comparison to other Smok pod stuff? (The Nord is from Smok right? Smok stuff comes out every few days and I lost my scorecard)

Black wings

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2019
Wlts UK
zeltu-x-mod-wholesale-uk-1-350x400.jpg
I do love my Orion but the zeltu x should be included as it's the pod that lost vape "borrowed" it's aesthetics from and it's a fantastic mtl vape plus pretty smart.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
For me, personally, there is no way to compare. Orion in all aspects. Ok, minus price... Any device with DNA chip will always be pricier, but I think you get what you pay, every single penny.

ONLY IF they don't come preloaded with bugged firmware (See EVOLV Forums - THROTTLING ISSUES section for details).

Black wings

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2019
Wlts UK
ONLY IF they don't come preloaded with bugged firmware (See EVOLV Forums - THROTTLING ISSUES section for details).
That's true. I have to admit, being a mtl fan and using 50/50 juice I had little issue. Just set it to the low output and closed the airflow down but it can hit way too hard out of the box for high vg juice.
It only takes five minutes on escribe to set right but it should be dialled down on the higher output straight out of the box.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
That's true. I have to admit, being a mtl fan and using 50/50 juice I had little issue. Just set it to the low output and closed the airflow down but it can hit way too hard out of the box for high vg juice.
It only takes five minutes on escribe to set right but it should be dialled down on the higher output straight out of the box.

Yeah, I think when I powered my DNA250C Triade up, it was set to 100W on Power mode. Don't have a clue as to why, but that's what it was at.

Black wings

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2019
Wlts UK
Meh they're both pods. I don't care.

I will say I'm shocked (even with like blatant design copies) that smok is becoming like a premier vaping thing. PODS. Who knew Smok could do pods, and do them well. I keep waiting for complaints and just not hearing many.

Anna
I think smok had a good understanding of simple mtl tanks in the beginning. The trophy is still loved by many but when they entered the wattage arms race they really focused on cheap power and the quality was truly dreadful.
The alien was appalling (I know one in five got a useful one but that's pretty poor)
Perhaps the experience they had early on with simple mtl tanks is being well applied to the pod systems they make.
Will always be a brand to avoid for me though.

Black wings

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2019
Wlts UK
Yeah, I think when I powered my DNA250C Triade up, it was set to 100W on Power mode. Don't have a clue as to why, but that's what it was at.
The DNA 60 and 75 boards tend to be the same in many manufacturers mods. The lost vape epetite/esquare and hcigar inbox are set to start at top whack out of the box.

Black wings

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2019
Wlts UK
I've mentioned here before that the best quality small pod system I've tried to date is the hava but it suffers from the same issue as most. Pod availability.
Until multiple manufacturers start to settle on a universal pod design that can be carried by local shops these thing's will all end up in the bin after a few months.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
What will matter are the quality of the pods, their coil, wicking, and airflow. I can tell you the Orion pods are excellent performers with a long life span. The Smok stuff I have zero idea. Given that the only thing Smok coils seem to be good for these days is clouds, I'm not sure how that'll work in a pod system. Maybe ask in the Nord thread in pod mods for some comparison to other Smok pod stuff? (The Nord is from Smok right? Smok stuff comes out every few days and I lost my scorecard)

Just a dissenting opinion, and not to take away from yours @Eskie , but I think the Orion is not that great. The mod itself is brilliant with the DNA Go board in it and the build quality is superb. But, the pods are the weak point and since they are the only pods available for the mod right now it relegates the entire mod to the "Junk Show" category for me. I've got 2 in a timeout right now waiting for a better pod solution which I hope will happen soon because I really want to use my Orions.

Without tweaking the escribe software the pods don't last well at all and even with tweaking the flavor is muted and lackluster. With dialing down the wattage, pre-heat, and warmth it helps with the longevity issue quite a bit, but means the vape is cooler than I would like and still has muted flavor. And I think many (maybe most) will not install or dive into the escribe software, which makes it not ideal for many.

Just my opinion on a brilliant mod with sub par pods that has the potential to be so much more.

mac-nutty

Moved On
Mar 2, 2019
pub
don't buy any of them the are gimmicks to gain money after sale including the orion Dna,,, i mean wtf were the thinking bringing this out
oooh you have to buy pods for it,,, ffs

then there was the yihi pod that i thought would go rebuildable but no the went the more Capital way sad stuff

instead of a pod if u understand ohm law get a 18350 Mech and if money is tight a clone atty
dvarw doggie etc look,taste 1000x better
flavour flavour flavor !!! My avatar pic is my pod replacement it's tiny and with the upgraded 18350 batterys 1100mah+ pods are dead

i have had lots of pods sent to me mate all suck a55 compared to a device you can setup for you own liking
;) ;)

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Just a dissenting opinion, and not to take away from yours @Eskie , but I think the Orion is not that great. The mod itself is brilliant with the DNA Go board in it and the build quality is superb. But, the pods are the weak point and since they are the only pods available for the mod right now it relegates the entire mod to the "Junk Show" category for me. I've got 2 in a timeout right now waiting for a better pod solution which I hope will happen soon because I really want to use my Orions.

Without tweaking the escribe software the pods don't last well at all and even with tweaking the flavor is muted and lackluster. With dialing down the wattage, pre-heat, and warmth it helps with the longevity issue quite a bit, but means the vape is cooler than I would like and still has muted flavor. And I think many (maybe most) will not install or dive into the escribe software, which makes it not ideal for many.

Just my opinion on a brilliant mod with sub par pods that has the potential to be so much more.

It's all opinion. I like the flavor from the Orion pods and can get several weeks from one (not an adv). On the other side of the spectrum my goto pod for throw in the pocket and go has become the Innokin EQ. Small, 850 mAh, two wattage selections, and decent mtl pods that are also long lived. Sane plexus style coil as in their Zenith coil system. Also inexpensive, especially compared to the Orion. I like my Orion but I only need one. But for the price, convenience and performance I pick up 3 EQs for essentially the same price as one Orion (granted on sale for 2 of them). And the pods are cheaper as well.

The nice thing is there's now a decent selection of pods on the market that are great little performers. It's a big change from only say 2 years ago when there wasn't anything IMO really worth using.

Black wings

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2019
Wlts UK
It's all opinion. I like the flavor from the Orion pods and can get several weeks from one (not an adv). On the other side of the spectrum my goto pod for throw in the pocket and go has become the Innokin EQ. Small, 850 mAh, two wattage selections, and decent mtl pods that are also long lived. Sane plexus style coil as in their Zenith coil system. Also inexpensive, especially compared to the Orion. I like my Orion but I only need one. But for the price, convenience and performance I pick up 3 EQs for essentially the same price as one Orion (granted on sale for 2 of them). And the pods are cheaper as well.

The nice thing is there's now a decent selection of pods on the market that are great little performers. It's a big change from only say 2 years ago when there wasn't anything IMO really worth using.
Yeah my pods last longer than any stock coil tanks I've used and although I use mine for a quick stealth grab mod, I have zero issue's with flavour.
I've load a of mini mods I use out and about but I can just stick the orion in my jeans pocket and know it's not heavy or going to leak.

Reactions: Eskie

mac-nutty

Moved On
Mar 2, 2019
pub
I should mention there is also the Orion Q out. No DNA board, like 2 or 3 wattage selections, and 1 ohm pods for mtl. It is also a lot cheaper than the Orion. Never used one but if you like the look it is another more affordable option.
dude pods suck the sooner everyone stops buying them the sooner proper ones come

it's a buy now and keep paying scheme fuuk pods ;)

Last edited:

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA

Agreed on it's all opinion, and it's a testament to the Orion hardware that they both didn't go in the trash bin like I normally do with vape gear I don't like for whatever reason. The hardware is just that good on the Orion that I will patiently wait for another pod solution. BTW, the reason I purchased 2 is that 1 won't last me all day on a charge so just get 2 right? Works for me and I can use 2 different flavors, which is always nice.

I have settled on 2 pod systems for daily out and about use for now. The Smok Novo for it's size, price, flavor (much better than the Orion IMO), never leaked for me, and easily re-wickable pods. My main pod system currently is the Artery Pal 2, but with Spryte coils. The original Pal 2 coils have great taste, but don't last well at all for me. Typically 2 or 3 refills... junk show category. The Spryte coils are another story... great flavor and really long life typically lasting over 10 refills easily. The Pal 2 was designed with copycat Spryte coils, so that worked out well since Aspire BVC coils have become kind of a standard and have always been good quality for me since the original Nautilus BVC coils. Plus I purchased the Pal 2s on sale for $16ea which is quite reasonable for a complete pod kit. I've been quite happy with both these pod systems.

I know this doesn't directly address the original thread topic, so sorry if I've hijacked the thread a bit.

Reactions: Eskie

Black wings

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2019
Wlts UK
dude pods suck the sooner everyone stops buying them the sooner proper ones come

it's a buy now and keep paying scheme fuuk pods ;)
To be fair, were all bunch of weirdos really, obsessing over cheap Chinese vape gear and hand made kit that's only valuable to us.
It's the pods that are most likely to get smokers off cigarettes as they're easy and effective.
Let's hope they're soon in every US supermarket as they are starting to be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread