Smok vape pen 22 teardown

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRapidPro

May 26, 2019
Hi all. This is my first post here. I am currently having a problem with smok vape pen 22: The PCB inside the mod is wiggling inside, and I can't figure out a way to open up the vape so I can solder the broken connections and assemble it back together. Buying another unit is not an option. Any help is appreciated. Have a good day!

Reactions: stols001

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Welcome. Now you know why we recommend not to buy SMOK products. They are nice when new, but are engineered to fail early and are emphatically not intended to be user serviceable. I think there's even an unofficial slogan about that.
xHtZzNQ.png

TheRapidPro

May 26, 2019
Welcome. Now you know why we recommend not to buy SMOK products. They are nice when new, but are engineered to fail early and are emphatically not intended to be user serviceable. I think there's even an unofficial slogan about that.
xHtZzNQ.png
Oh no I don't know why I laughed so hard.

So, I am thinking of actually cutting the base without heating anything up and do things that way, until I save up some money and buy a new vape. What are some great brands and models you suggest, that are near or under the 60$ price point, and will last quite a long while on heavy use?

I was thinking of smok alien or smok mag kits, but I am now unsure, now that you said so.
Thank you and have a wonderful day.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
(in pidgin English)
We build cheap!
You buy cheap!
It break?
You buy another!
—SMOK

Yes, you may as well dremel it open and see what's possible. If your repair fails, see if you can find an Aegis mod that suits your style and budget. If you want a smaller integrated system, I'm sure others will have good recommendations. Geekvape is a well-regarded manufacturer with a variety of products.

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
I'm sorry to hear you are having a problem with your mod. It is unfortunate that many of the devices are press-fit which makes them difficult to open let alone allowing the consumer to repair them when they are inoperable. If you tell us a bit about your vaping needs it will help us make recommendations for a different system for you.
Hello and welcome to ecf.

TheRapidPro

May 26, 2019
I'm sorry to hear you are having a problem with your mod. It is unfortunate that many of the devices are press-fit which makes them difficult to open let alone allowing the consumer to repair them when they are inoperable. If you tell us a bit about your vaping needs it will help us make recommendations for a different system for you.
Hello and welcome to ecf.
Thank you for being such a welcoming person <3

Size does not matter (pun intended ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ) I need a kit, with the only concerns being the price, and strength.
I want to be able to get them higher watts, have great flavor, have replacable batteries, I want it to have a tank and I want it to last. As cheap as possible. Note that I don't want it to be cheap, as I am not rich enough to buy cheap. I just want it to have a great price - performance ratio.
Thanks, love you all.

TheRapidPro

May 26, 2019
(in pidgin English)
We build cheap!
You buy cheap!
It break?
You buy another!
—SMOK

Yes, you may as well dremel it open and see what's possible. If your repair fails, see if you can find an Aegis mod that suits your style and budget. If you want a smaller integrated system, I'm sure others will have good recommendations. Geekvape is a well-regarded manufacturer with a variety of products.
Thank you for the advice, I will make a wide research about geekvape. Cheers!

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Higher watts leads me to recommend a dual battery device. And the Geekvape Aegis Legend is an excellent candidate if looking for durability. It can be found in a kit form or as a stand alone mod that will require you chose a separate tank. The later will be slightly more expensive but opens up options. But that is not to say the kit cannot be used with a different atomizer down the road should you desire something different.

Another road to consider is getting into rebuildable’s. Upfront they may be more expensive but in the long run they end up being much cheaper. The coils last longer and cotton or Rayon wicking is dirt cheap. And their performance can exceed the majority of drop in coil type tanks. Just a thought!

On top of researching the Legend, window shop and pick a few other devices that may peak your interest, then inquire with the forums on users experiences. And budget for batteries and a proper charger

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thank you for the advice, I will make a wide research about geekvape. Cheers!
Most other manufacturers are better than SMOK. Geekvape is only one. Lostvape, vapresso, eleaf, and several others are all well rated. There is a slightly lower tier of Tesla, wismec, kanger, voodoo, and a few others who have had specific problems with a few specific designs but are still generally good. SMOK has a special place at the very bottom. They have some of the very worst quality control in the world of modern manufacturing.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have an Eleaf Ijust I won that I have never used. I took a quick look and it's a cool looking kit, but the resistance won't work for me even slightly. It's a 27100 model, so if you want to try something different it's yours for the asking, just PM me.

Eleaf is a lot nicer and dependable than Smok if you ask me. When I win things I won't use I am happy to send them on so take a look at the device online and see if it has appeal. Just understand I may not get it in the mail ultra immediately but by next Saturday at the latest. My life is a bit hectic. But if you would like it, it's yours, because everyone deserves to OH GOD not Dremel a smok mod.

Anna

TheRapidPro

May 26, 2019
So, an update about the vape, everyone!

when I cut the bottom of the pen, using a saw periodically so I didn't heat it up, at the very end of the mod, literally bubblewrap came out. not kidding. I said ok, let's check the battery, and it was a lithium polymer that was 30 mms tall and had a diameter of 10 mms. I thought there would have been a nice actual battery inside, but I got a battery that was 3 cms tall.

That is not even the main issue, the coil connector has a middle pin, which is the anode, and the case is BAT cathode. Ok, so smok used the whole case as a wire, nice design ok ok. But after a little reverse engineering, I found out that the negative connection is made off of a loose connection, which is literally the outside metal casing of the micro USB connector, barely touching the case. No wonder why it sometimes smelled like electricity arcs inside when I vaped while biking, it was because the bike shaked the vape and caused arcs to appear.

so, this is a 20 dollar vape. It served me well for... well, a week? I am going to save up some money and get a real vape!

Thanks for the advices, everyone, you are perfect people!

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
So, an update about the vape, everyone!

when I cut the bottom of the pen, using a saw periodically so I didn't heat it up, at the very end of the mod, literally bubblewrap came out. not kidding. I said ok, let's check the battery, and it was a lithium polymer that was 30 mms tall and had a diameter of 10 mms. I thought there would have been a nice actual battery inside, but I got a battery that was 3 cms tall.

That is not even the main issue, the coil connector has a middle pin, which is the anode, and the case is BAT cathode. Ok, so smok used the whole case as a wire, nice design ok ok. But after a little reverse engineering, I found out that the negative connection is made off of a loose connection, which is literally the outside metal casing of the micro USB connector, barely touching the case. No wonder why it sometimes smelled like electricity arcs inside when I vaped while biking, it was because the bike shaked the vape and caused arcs to appear.

so, this is a 20 dollar vape. It served me well for... well, a week? I am going to save up some money and get a real vape!

Thanks for the advices, everyone, you are perfect people!
Yep. SMOK is generally the worst of the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread