Smok X Cube 2 + TFV4 Tank Heating problem..Is a cool Vape With No Throat Hit Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newtovaping123

Jan 20, 2016
Hi guys,
Im new to vaping
I bought a smok x cube 2 and tfv4 tank because they looked cool and had plenty of features
I also bought liqua 6mg e juice which i will be reducing to 0mg on my next purchase

The tfv4 is running a tf-t3 triple coil
I wanted to ask if anyone could advise me how best to set it up.
I attached the tank to the mod and chose the setting for stainless steel coil
Ive been running it in watts mode. I tried 60 watts to start but it was too hot to bare, the mouthpiece was boiling within seconds, i find that the taste is very harsh and catches the back of my throat. I am now running it on 23.5 watts which is managable. My resistance is 0.21 ohms. The problem is it is now not producing enough vapour, i also find it is still getting very hot and there is a harsh throat hit (may be the flavour)

The things i wanted to ask were
1 - what are the correct settings step by step when setting up the tf-t3 coil with the x cube 2 mod?
2 - how to avoid the heat problems i have incountered?
3 - how to achive lots of cool vapour, with no throat hit? Would i be more suited to a different type of coil on my tfv4?
4 - would temp control vaping suit me better than watt control?
5 - would 100% 0mg vg juice help my cause
6 - what watts, resistance, temp settings to use

In basic i want the mod to smoke smooth like a sheesha/narghila/hookah for those who have tried them.

I appreciate everyones advice
Thanks

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hi guys,
Im new to vaping
I bought a smok x cube 2 and tfv4 tank because they looked cool and had plenty of features
I also bought liqua 6mg e juice which i will be reducing to 0mg on my next purchase

Ive been running it in watts mode. I tried 60 watts to start but it was too hot to bare, the mouthpiece was boiling within seconds, i find that the taste is very harsh and catches the back of my throat. I am now running it on 23.5 watts which is managable. My resistance is 0.21 ohms. The problem is it is now not producing enough vapour, i also find it is still getting very hot and there is a harsh throat hit (may be the flavour)

1 - what are the correct settings step by step when setting up the tf-t3 coil with the x cube 2 mod?
3 - how to achive lots of cool vapour, with no throat hit? Would i be more suited to a different type of coil on my tfv4?

In basic i want the mod to smoke smooth like a sheesha/narghila/hookah for those who have tried them.

Thanks

First : is a cool vape with no throat hit possible: Yes.

1: what are the correct settings:
Start low and work your way up gradually.
If you start out too high, you might burn something and the coil could be unuseable at that point.
2: how to avoid heat problems: stay lower wattage.
3: how to achieve lots of cool vapor: that's a bit of an art and takes some practice; got to vape at the right wattage for the coil at a rate the wicking can keep up with.
Those coils probably have a recommended wattage range printed on them.
4: temp control: try it; should avoid things getting too hot.
5: higher vg will produce more cloud

Newtovaping123

Jan 20, 2016
Thanks for your reply
1 - By settings i meant that when i attached the tank it gave an option on the screen saying is this a new coil? Then there was an option between nickel titanium steel etc, then one with a number like 0.00350 or something, then pick between TC & SC
3 - the recommended wattage on my coil is 40-120 watts but i find 40 too hot so i am using 23.5. Could the ohms being at 0.21 be causing this issue or the throat hit issue
Thanks

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. Cool vape and no throat hit is possible, but big cloud at the same time is not. VG percentage in the juice makes a difference; that's what makes the cloud. But aside from that, the vapor produced is a direct function of the watts applied to the coil per mm^2 of coil surface area, within the limits of the wick to bring juice. In layman's terms, more watts = more cloud = more heat = more throat hit. Bear in mind it's not smoke, it's vapor. Smoke can be cooled, as in a water pipe, and still remain smoke. Vapor can not; get it too cool and it will condense back into liquid and you'll get nothing at all but a mouthful of juice. A longer drip tip, and/or one that allows outside air into the vapor stream can cool it some (that's why hookah have those long tubes to the mouthpiece, too; so heat can radiate away). But nothing can alter the fact the more vapor you make in the same time, the hotter is it coming off the coil.

Reactions: djsvapour

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
It wouldn't surprise me if a tank like this needs a minimum amount of power to get going. It's a bit extreme for a new vaper.
Liqua is dreadful juice, so ditch that.
You won't be able to combine watts (standard power mode) and kanthal coils at a low enough setting (to keep it cool) to get decent vapor. TC set low enough is cool. VG and low nic helps reduce TH.
To be brutally honest, I struggled to vape at even 10 watts. You've bought an over-specified bit of vape kit and it's hard to say whether you will acclimatize quickly or not.
I don't often say this (as people should feel free to vape anyway they want to get off tobacco) but maybe a less extreme tank might see you better on the road to full-time vaping.
I TC a 'cool' vape, it allows me to vape over 16/18/20 watts without blowing my head off.
The mod is set to 25/30/35 watts and then the TC kicks in (because that is also set low) and reduces the power to keep things vaporous but not hot.
I can't bear heat, but as I said, it wasn't heat that was the problem when I started vaping, it was just harsh on my throat solidly for about a month.

Newtovaping123

Jan 20, 2016
Hi and welcome. Cool vape and no throat hit is possible, but big cloud at the same time is not. VG percentage in the juice makes a difference; that's what makes the cloud. But aside from that, the vapor produced is a direct function of the watts applied to the coil per mm^2 of coil surface area, within the limits of the wick to bring juice. In layman's terms, more watts = more cloud = more heat = more throat hit. Bear in mind it's not smoke, it's vapor. Smoke can be cooled, as in a water pipe, and still remain smoke. Vapor can not; get it too cool and it will condense back into liquid and you'll get nothing at all but a mouthful of juice. A longer drip tip, and/or one that allows outside air into the vapor stream can cool it some (that's why hookah have those long tubes to the mouthpiece, too; so heat can radiate away). But nothing can alter the fact the more vapor you make in the same time, the hotter is it coming off the coil.
Thanks for your reply

Will the throat hit be reduced by 0mg juice? Also my tfv4 tank came with a triple coil, will switching uo to a quadruple or down to a single or double help in this case?

Newtovaping123

Jan 20, 2016
It wouldn't surprise me if a tank like this needs a minimum amount of power to get going. It's a bit extreme for a new vaper.
Liqua is dreadful juice, so ditch that.
You won't be able to combine watts (standard power mode) and kanthal coils at a low enough setting (to keep it cool) to get decent vapor. TC set low enough is cool. VG and low nic helps reduce TH.
To be brutally honest, I struggled to vape at even 10 watts. You've bought an over-specified bit of vape kit and it's hard to say whether you will acclimatize quickly or not.
I don't often say this (as people should feel free to vape anyway they want to get off tobacco) but maybe a less extreme tank might see you better on the road to full-time vaping.
I TC a 'cool' vape, it allows me to vape over 16/18/20 watts without blowing my head off.
The mod is set to 25/30/35 watts and then the TC kicks in (because that is also set low) and reduces the power to keep things vaporous but not hot.
I can't bear heat, but as I said, it wasn't heat that was the problem when I started vaping, it was just harsh on my throat solidly for about a month.
Thanks for the reply,
Which juice would you recommend?
Also will changing the triple coil up to quadruple or down to single or double nickel help?
I dont really want to buy another vape kit as ive just spend around £140 on this one, i would like to adjust to this to suit my needs if possible
Thank you

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
Erm.. I don't know why nobody's mentioned this, but the TFV4 is a hardcore sub-ohm tank. I mean, I sub-ohm, but I don't get a TFV4 because that thing is "beast-like" in terms of juice consumption and cloud production. I don't need that much clouds.

At minimum wattage, the vape is going to be very lackluster and the coils will probably flood because they aren't cooking juice as fast as it's wicking. At the optimal wattage you'll probably experience too much throat hit.

I know it's not the answer you want to hear, but the experience you're looking for is unattainable with your current tank. The battery's fine, it's the tank that needs to be changed.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Thanks for your reply

Will the throat hit be reduced by 0mg juice? Also my tfv4 tank came with a triple coil, will switching uo to a quadruple or down to a single or double help in this case?
0MG will help, nic is one of the things that give throat hit. I can not answer you regarding the number of coils, save in general; it's too variable. Vapor is made at the coil surface where it is in contact with wet wick. Thus, the greater number of coils you have, the more coil surface area you have, all other things being equal. Therefore, yes, more coils make more vapor. But you're still trapped but the watts=cloud problem I mentioned earlier. The more coils you have, the greater mass of wire you have to heat to vapor temp to get anything. Therefore, you either have to increase wattage to fire more coils, or you have a longer ramp up time (the time it takes the wire to get hot.) It doesn't take long for this time to get noticeable (fraction of a second, for most people) and not much longer still (a second or about) for it to get annoying. You'll find you're vaping with more watts and more heat, the more coils you use.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Thanks for the reply,
Which juice would you recommend?
Also will changing the triple coil up to quadruple or down to single or double nickel help?
I dont really want to buy another vape kit as ive just spend around £140 on this one, i would like to adjust to this to suit my needs if possible
Thank you

No Panic. As I said, we're only talking about a temporary tank (you don't have to do it, but clearly I think it might be worth considering). Your investment is safe.... £140 seems a lot.... did you buy more than you mentioned?
Anyway, e-liquid - just get away from stuff like Liqua. Low-grade Chinese base liquid with 'real' Italian flavours (not) from Guangzhou (probably).

How much do you feel you could stretch to?
Vapeclub do US liquids.

Gourmet E-liquid UK Shop, Free Delivery

There are lots of UK liquid makes, many now leave out 'nasties' and some even test their liquid/vapour.

Just watch out for the normal "B-S brands"... Google will send you straight to the companies that want to charge you £4.99 for 50p e-liquid. That's how it works, really.
The industry is awash with backhanders, fake reviews, affiliate marketing (where people get money from you being ripped off)... it's an absolute jungle out there.

I get my day to day liquids from LT e-cigs. I wouldn't have thought they test but they use known flavours and I trust where they source them.

Premium means absolutely nothing. It is a worthless expression.
UK made often means nothing as well, watch out for that little beauty.

If in doubt - ask. :)

Newtovaping123

Jan 20, 2016
No Panic. As I said, we're only talking about a temporary tank (you don't have to do it, but clearly I think it might be worth considering). Your investment is safe.... £140 seems a lot.... did you buy more than you mentioned?
Anyway, e-liquid - just get away from stuff like Liqua. Low-grade Chinese base liquid with 'real' Italian flavours (not) from Guangzhou (probably).

How much do you feel you could stretch to?
Vapeclub do US liquids.

There are lots of UK liquid makes, many now leave out 'nasties' and some even test their liquid/vapour.

Just watch out for the normal "B-S brands"... Google will send you straight to the companies that want to charge you £4.99 for 50p e-liquid. That's how it works, really.
The industry is awash with backhanders, fake reviews, affiliate marketing (where people get money from you being ripped off)... it's an absolute jungle out there.

I get my day to day liquids from LT e-cigs. I wouldn't have thought they test but they use known flavours and I trust where they source them.

Premium means absolutely nothing. It is a worthless expression.
UK made often means nothing as well, watch out for that little beauty.

If in doubt - ask. :)

Ive heard alot about cosmic fog liquids and ive been thinking about trying them
Also my tried my friends space jam astro, it tasted alot better than this liqua stuff
Whats your opinion on them two, i dont mind spending on slightly pricier juice aslong as i get a nice vape in the end?

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Ive heard alot about cosmic fog liquids and ive been thinking about trying them
Also my tried my friends space jam astro, it tasted alot better than this liqua stuff
Whats your opinion on them two, i dont mind spending on slightly pricier juice aslong as i get a nice vape in the end?

I've vaped some Cosmic Fog. All but not the 'best' one, unfortunately. (Milk & Honey).
The melon/fruity/tiny bit menthol one is weird but terrific.
I had bad luck with 'Church'.... nobody knows why. Tasted bad on a subtank OCC.
Shocker is good. Nutz is nice.
Space Jam, most good. A bit expensive i.m.o. and often found at the horrible UKecigstore shop.... urgh.....

Vaping juice like this gets very expensive. Keep it relatively down (watts/temp) and it's not too crazy. Crash through 15ml in two days and.... ouch...

Halcyon Haze? Digby's? Chef's Vapour?

I'd rather vape this than bloomin ecigwizard and vampire vape (UK). Meh... :yawn:

Newtovaping123

Jan 20, 2016
I've vaped some Cosmic Fog. All but not the 'best' one, unfortunately. (Milk & Honey).
The melon/fruity/tiny bit menthol one is weird but terrific.
I had bad luck with 'Church'.... nobody knows why. Tasted bad on a subtank OCC.
Shocker is good. Nutz is nice.
Space Jam, most good. A bit expensive i.m.o. and often found at the horrible UKecigstore shop.... urgh.....

Vaping juice like this gets very expensive. Keep it relatively down (watts/temp) and it's not too crazy. Crash through 15ml in two days and.... ouch...

Halcyon Haze? Digby's? Chef's Vapour?

I'd rather vape this than bloomin ecigwizard and vampire vape (UK). Meh... :yawn:

i was thinking of ordering for ukecig store, have you had problems with them?
ive never heard of Halcyon Haz, Digby' or Chef's Vapour, any specific juices you would recommend?

steam heat

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2015
I also have the xcube2 and tfv4..... This is a beast of a tank and is not really a good tank to be used at low watts. Its more of a higher wattage tank for producing big warm clouds. I use the rba in mine but when I tried out the prebuilt coil that came with it I had to run 45+ watts to get any vapor at all. Also I believe the coil says 60-110 watts. I think you will probably need a different tank if you are looking for a cooler vape

SirSmokeyLugg

Jan 9, 2016
:thumbs:
Hi guys,
Im new to vaping

Thanks
Hey!
I know I'm a bit behind replying as you posted this two days ago but bear with me.
I'm pretty new to vaping also, and I'll admit to not having done more than skim read the entire thread so bear with me :thumb:.

Right your setup: I've got the 80w Smok Micro with the TFV4 micro tank, which is as it says on the tin a smaller version of what you have. Ever so slightly less extreme too.

I love it. Really love it. However, if your looking for a smooth Hookah type smoke then I'd advise you to invest in another tank. The TFV4 is a superb tank for big vapour and creating your very own weather clouds. But in order to do this is quite literally throws the vapour down your throat to achieve this. I like this, mostly, but I don't do it all the time. I have the TFV4 in rotation with a Subtank nano and a Horizon Artic. This is as much for cleaning purposes as anything else so I can use one while one is during out and have on in reserve too. Having said that I couldn't live with the TFV4 as my everyday tank. It's awesome for what it is- but smooth isn't something I'd say about it. It always seems a little harsh, if astounding at the same time.
You've got a great setup. Don't ditch it, but get something else for your everyday.
I like the Subtank, but if I were to pick one to use most of the time it would be the Horizon. Good vapour and airflow and great flavour. :thumbs:

Reactions: steam heat

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
i was thinking of ordering from ukecig store, have you had problems with them?
ive never heard of Halcyon Haz, Digby' or Chef's Vapour, any specific juices you would recommend?

I you go back in time, you'll find everybody had trouble with them.
There are 1,000s of posts about it.
Put it this way.... at Vapefest 2015, basically only new vapers went in their tent. They are really unpopular with the veterans.
Up to you, of course. If it's just liquid, then less to go wrong. As they charge more than many others (for hardware), you should find a discount code off facebook.

Today, I'm vaping this.
AHL Fruity Briden 30ml

(not the best ever, but a great price and nicer than 'normal' e-liquids from the high street or 'brand' shops like Apollo)

Digby's "Hooligan" is very nice. As is "Apple and Cinnamon Pudding". I'm sure you can get 10ml from Vapeclub.
Halcyon make complex liquids... hard to describe and maybe not available in 10ml which is bad news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread