Smoke Alarms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spider

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2008
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Does anyone know for sure that e-smoking doesn't activate any of the different types of smoke alarms that are available.

This may have already been covered, but I want to be certain if anyone actually knows for sure.

It seems a silly question to ask in a way since it's actually vapour that's expelled, but I work in an office that is linked to the emergency services and don't want to be held responsible if the fire brigade turn up!

Thanks in advance,

Spider

Ludo

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2008
China
www.janty.com
depends on which detector is installed...

Smoke Alarms | Heat Alarms | Radio-interlinked Alarms | Smoke Alarm Systems

I've heard of clients e-smoking in the toilet* of an airplane and no alarm was set off, so in a big office space you should be ok no?

* why would anyone do that, I just inhale in my seat when I travel by plane, never had anyone ask me anything, just make sure you keep the vapor inside for a few seconds more, then when you exhale there's no visible smoke ;-)

Spider

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2008
United Kingdom
Ahh .. thanks Cinderella - I was looking for that thread. It only seems to deal with Photo-Electric smoke alarms though ... what about the others?

Thanks Ruyan, I just wanted to check. My office is not that big, it's only about 20 x 20 ft - but then that's a lot bigger than an aeroplane's toilet!

Probably me just being over-cautious.. the smoke alarm is right above me and I haven't set it off yet.

Obviously, I'm not blowing the vapour into it.

I don't think I'd use my e-cig in an aeroplane toilet, I think I'd just ask if it was ok to smoke it when I boarded (although maybe I would if they said no - lol).

Spider

Lady Python

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2008
UK
We tried blowing vapour directly at our fire alarms at home. Nothing happened. However, slightly singe a piece of toast and they go off. I believe most smoke alarms are triggered by (I think) carbon particles in smoke (boffins out there help as I'm not sure on this) so I would think that as there is no carbon in the vapour from e-cigs, they wouldn't set off alarms.

Spider

ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2008
United Kingdom
Smoke alarms are very curious things - the security at work have said that they have been set off previously by paint fumes from a recently painted room, and even perfume! They could not find any other explanation.

I think I'll just stick to holding the vapour in my mouth longer and not blowing it directly at the smoke alarms hehe.

Thanks for your comments,

Spider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread