Smoke vs Vapor: Nicotine Effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDougal

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2011
Louisville, KY
After vaporizing now for 7 months and quitting smoking, I have noticed some differences in the way nicotine is absorbed.

First off, the most noticeable difference is the immediate effect. For example, if I had not smoked for most of the day, and then smoked a cigarette, or smoked the first cigarette in the morning, the nicotine effect went straight to the head. Almost a dizzy feeling. vaping is much different, as it seems as if the body doesn't absorb it as quickly, but is still quite satisfying, and in many ways, a better experience.

Which leads me to the other difference. I find it much easier to go longer periods of time without vaping than without smoking. As a matter of fact, I have found that at times, I forget to vape. This was never possible when smoking, yet vaping itself is a nicer experience. This has been more noticeable after vaping for a longer period of time.

This leads me to believe that perhaps the quick nicotine effects of smoking vs the slower, more subtle effects of vaping make smoking more difficult to put aside than vaping. When I study information about certain drugs, particularly stimulants, this seems to hold true: the "quick effect" methods of administration are the most psychologically addictive.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Krythis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
WNY
krythis.com
Its my understanding that vapor nicotine is absorbed slower because analogs contain amonia which causes the nicotine to be absorbed much faster.

The addiction to nicotine vapor is also different from smoking because analogs contain other chemicals you become addicted to.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

mariahpoo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2011
Oroville
When I smoked the 1 cig I had on Saturday I got lightheaded. And I had been vaping all night! :shocker: I think its not so much the nic but the carbon monoxide that goes straight into your blood. All the other chemicals left me feeling semi euphoric for 1 min then I felt very sick. The cigarette companies are evil. And I believe that these effects are some of the addictive qualities of smoking analogs. But I tell you one thing, I am glad I smoked an analog Saturday just for the fact that it made me feel so bad after. It made me know that my choice for e-cig was right.

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
After vaporizing now for 7 months and quitting smoking, I have noticed some differences in the way nicotine is absorbed.

First off, the most noticeable difference is the immediate effect. For example, if I had not smoked for most of the day, and then smoked a cigarette, or smoked the first cigarette in the morning, the nicotine effect went straight to the head. Almost a dizzy feeling. Vaping is much different, as it seems as if the body doesn't absorb it as quickly, but is still quite satisfying, and in many ways, a better experience.

Which leads me to the other difference. I find it much easier to go longer periods of time without vaping than without smoking. As a matter of fact, I have found that at times, I forget to vape. This was never possible when smoking, yet vaping itself is a nicer experience. This has been more noticeable after vaping for a longer period of time.

This leads me to believe that perhaps the quick nicotine effects of smoking vs the slower, more subtle effects of vaping make smoking more difficult to put aside than vaping. When I study information about certain drugs, particularly stimulants, this seems to hold true: the "quick effect" methods of administration are the most psychologically addictive.

Thoughts? Experiences?

you're not alone :)

McDougal

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2011
Louisville, KY
Its my understanding that vapor nicotine is absorbed slower because analogs contain amonia which causes the nicotine to be absorbed much faster.

The addiction to nicotine vapor is also different from smoking because analogs contain other chemicals you become addicted to.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

This is a good point I hadn't thought about. The other chemicals, actually hundreds at least in cigarettes, do add to the addiction.

McDougal

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2011
Louisville, KY
When I smoked the 1 cig I had on Saturday I got lightheaded. And I had been vaping all night! :shocker: I think its not so much the nic but the carbon monoxide that goes straight into your blood. All the other chemicals left me feeling semi euphoric for 1 min then I felt very sick. The cigarette companies are evil. And I believe that these effects are some of the addictive qualities of smoking analogs. But I tell you one thing, I am glad I smoked an analog Saturday just for the fact that it made me feel so bad after. It made me know that my choice for e-cig was right.

Yes, the sick feeling from smoking cigs is gone with vaping.

mariahpoo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2011
Oroville
Yes, the sick feeling from smoking cigs is gone with vaping.

We are property managers, and I had to deal with a tenants carbon monoxide detector going off today. There really was not a reason for it to go off except for her chain smoking in a tightly closed home. And that is what the fire department said after they came too. So I did some studying online and it is crazy how much cm we were getting from smoking alone! I had no clue. Smoking indoors = WAY worse.

As for the vap nic effect... I can go for longer without having to vap. Or just take one or 2 puffs and feel satisfied. But I find that vaping is too much fun to do that. lol I love making all the non stinky clouds. :)

Balthezar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2011
Fayetteville, GA
I've heard that the nic in analogs goes in through your lungs, therefore gets absorbed quicker, and that nic in the vapor doesn't, that's why a suggested method of vaping is to hold it in your mouth longer and exhale through the nose if you want to get the nic faster, the vapor is absorbed better that way. I think there is a post somewhere that can explain it better than I can, or if some one here can, please do :).

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Cigarettes are more addictive than nicotine alone. Cigarettes include an anti-depressant effect and 4000 chemicals.

Re head rush with cigs - some of that is because you are breathing carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide as well as the 4000 chemicals including formaldehyde (embalming fluid), cyanide (gas chamber stuff) and carpet glue.

mariahpoo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2011
Oroville
Cigarettes are more addictive than nicotine alone. Cigarettes include an anti-depressant effect and 4000 chemicals.

Re head rush with cigs - some of that is because you are breathing carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide as well as the 4000 chemicals including formaldehyde (embalming fluid), cyanide (gas chamber stuff) and carpet glue.

That make me want to puke just thinking about it! YUCK.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Nic is absorbed thru the mouth and throat with ecigs, with very little actually making it into the lungs. with analogs, you get a direct hit of nic in the lungs(along with all the other additivies.....
I see it like this.....
analog is like a shot of whiskey
ecigs is like a beer
both get you drunk but it takes more beer and a longer time to feel the same effect....
:)

MegaBee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2011
Queensland Australia
We are property managers, and I had to deal with a tenants carbon monoxide detector going off today. There really was not a reason for it to go off except for her chain smoking in a tightly closed home. And that is what the fire department said after they came too. So I did some studying online and it is crazy how much cm we were getting from smoking alone! I had no clue. Smoking indoors = WAY worse.

As for the vap nic effect... I can go for longer without having to vap. Or just take one or 2 puffs and feel satisfied. But I find that vaping is too much fun to do that. lol I love making all the non stinky clouds. :)

I am also a property manager who smoked but never inside mine or anyone else's home. What never ceases to amaze me is tenants who smoke inside for years and get angry when you tell them that the walls and ceilings need to be repainted because of the yellow stain and stench!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I am also a property manager who smoked but never inside mine or anyone else's home. What never ceases to amaze me is tenants who smoke inside for years and get angry when you tell them that the walls and ceilings need to be repainted because of the yellow stain and stench!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You probably don't really 'see' it the same way you don't really smell it until you stop. I cringe when I think how bad I used to smell and how all of the Febreeze in the world couldn't mask it.

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
Nic is absorbed thru the mouth and throat with ecigs, with very little actually making it into the lungs. with analogs, you get a direct hit of nic in the lungs(along with all the other additivies.....)
{snippage}

I find that I hardly inhale any more at all. It tastes good, I get nic, all is good!

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
I made up my mind today to smoke my last real cig which was about 3 hours ago. I have noticed as well that it does take a lot of steady vaping to get a nic buzz even using 18mg juice.

It's different with vaping, but you do get used to it. You won't get that immediate nicotine hit you're used to with cigs. It's slow and steady. More like you wanted a cig, you vape, and don't really crave a cig anymore.

Sable23

Nov 15, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I feel like even if you smoked a cig and vaped the same amount of nicotine, the chemicals, specifically the ammonia (NH3), being a biological catalyst would make the buzz more intense, but would make the half-life much shorter. On the contrary, there isnt any catalysts in the vapor from pvs and therefore you recieve the same amount of nicotine, but is not as intense because the half-life would be longer, therefore the nicotine would stay in your system longer. This could possibly explain how people suffer from intense cravings for a cigarette, but vapers can go considerably longer without even thinking of nicotine.

:2c:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread