Smokefree PA urges General Assembly to hike cigarette tax, but to NOT tax vapor or smokeless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Smokefree Pennsylvania sent the following letter to PA House and Senate leaders (as they negotiate how to pay for the state's budget).

Via Fax June 29, 2016

The Honorable Mike Turzai
Pennsylvania House Speaker
Harrisburg, PA 17120

RE: PA Budget, please support cigarette tax hike, but don’t tax low risk smokefree alternatives

Dear Representative Turzai:

More than 99% of tobacco attributable morbidity, mortality and healthcare costs are caused by cigarette smoking. In sharp contrast, vapor and smokeless tobacco products are 99% less harmful than cigarettes, have helped millions of people quit smoking, and have saved taxpayers money.

PA’s budget can improve public health and fiscal accountability by increasing the cigarette tax rate, but NOT by taxing far less harmful vapor (i.e. e-cigarette) or smokeless tobacco products.

$170 Billion was spent treating cigarette diseases in the US in 2010, with >70% of those costs paid by taxpayers. At 4% annual healthcare cost inflation, US cigarette healthcare costs surpassed $200 Billion in 2015, or $15/pack, of which taxpayers paid about $11/pack.
http://www.ajpmonline.org/article/S0749-3797(14)00616-3/abstract

But combined revenue from federal and PA cigarette taxes, and PA’s tobacco settlement is just $3.35/pack. Thus, even a $1.50 cigarette tax increase would force nonsmoking taxpayers to continue subsidizing PA governmental expenditures for treating smoking diseases. A study found PA Medicaid expenditures for treating cigarette diseases were $2.24 Billion in 2012, when PA received $1.45 Billion in cigarette tax and settlement revenue. The study also found that a whopping 70% of PA’s 2.44 million Medicaid enrollees are cigarette smokers.
E-Cigarettes Poised to Save Medicaid Billions

In sharp contrast, taxing very low risk vapor and smokeless tobacco products at the same rate as deadly cigarettes (as proposed by Gov. Wolf and lobbied for by Big Pharma funded CTFK, ACS, AHA, ALA to protect nicotine gum and patch markets) unfairly punishes people for quitting smoking, discourages smokers from quitting or switching to low risk alternatives, deceives the public to believe vapor and smokeless tobacco products are as harmful as cigarettes, and would eliminate hundreds of vape shops in PA that have helped smokers quit (as many PA vapers would buy untaxed products online from out-of-state).

A $1.25/pack cigarette tax hike would generate a similar amount of revenue as Gov. Wolf’s proposal (to tax low risk vapor and tobacco products the same rate as deadly cigarettes), would provide far greater public health benefits, and would be far more fiscally accountable.

Sincerely,

Bill Godshall
Executive Director

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I'm glad smokefree PA is against the vape tax, I do wish they weren't for increasing the cigarette tax though.
As long as there is vaping there is an escape from the cost of cigarettes. Too bad so-called health authorities won't recommend vaping to smokers tired of the cost of smoking.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
As long as there is vaping there is an escape from the cost of cigarettes. Too bad so-called health authorities won't recommend vaping to smokers tired of the cost of smoking.
It's not really the cost of cigarettes that I have issue with, though I'm not happy about that either(my wife still smokes). My issue is, the tax supposedly has a two-fold purpose, discouraging use and recouping costs to the state of smoker's health care. If the tax is successful and smokers quit, tax revenues fall, however, it is unlikely that their medical issues and associated costs will fall at the same rate. So, you are left with an even larger budget shortfall. What then?

That's not even discussing whether or not the tax actually appreciably discourages use, or whether or not the figures on the costs attributable to smokers are accurate.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
It's not really the cost of cigarettes that I have issue with, though I'm not happy about that either(my wife still smokes). My issue is, the tax supposedly has a two-fold purpose, discouraging use and recouping costs to the state of smoker's health care. If the tax is successful and smokers quit, tax revenues fall, however, it is unlikely that their medical issues and associated costs will fall at the same rate. So, you are left with an even larger budget shortfall. What then?

That's not even discussing whether or not the tax actually appreciably discourages use, or whether or not the figures on the costs attributable to smokers are accurate.
I think the health care costs are complicated. Everybody dies of something. Do smokers cost more or less? Half of smokers apparently live a normal span of years. I suspect cancer is not as important as other conditions that respond more favorably to stopping smoking so I suspect the health benefits of stopping are significant but it doesn't follow that non smokers or former smokers necessarily cost the health system more or less. Smokers quitting is good for their kids because there is more money to spend on them and they have their parents longer. Non smokers are more productive workers. Non smokers aren't spending an hour a day standing outside doing nothing which means more time for NFL football. I think the FDA should be regulating that instead of vaping.

Reactions: skoony

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
If the tax is successful and smokers quit, tax revenues fall, however, it is unlikely that their medical issues and associated costs will fall at the same rate. So, you are left with an even larger budget shortfall. What then?

Healthcare costs (and the corresponding budget shortfall) will increase even more rapidly if cigarette taxes are not increased.

I've always believed (since I convinced the PA Genarel Assembly to increase the cigarette excise tax from $.18 to $.31/pack in 1991) that the tax rate on cigarettes should generate enough (but not more) revenue to reimburse the state's expenses for treating smoking diseases and disabilities.

Reactions: skoony

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The PA legislature is going to impose higher taxes on various tobacco products (and perhaps vapor products), but the discussion is now about how much to tax each of the different product categories.

The higher the cigarette tax, the lower the tax will be on e-cigs, smokeless and/or cigars (and vice versa).

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Healthcare costs (and the corresponding budget shortfall) will increase even more rapidly if cigarette taxes are not increased.

I've always believed (since I convinced the PA Genarel Assembly to increase the cigarette excise tax from $.18 to $.31/pack in 1991) that the tax rate on cigarettes should generate enough (but not more) revenue to reimburse the state's expenses for treating smoking diseases and disabilities.
By my estimation, over my 20 years of smoking, I've paid roughly $13,000 in taxes on cigarettes to CA and the Federal Government. During that time, I have always had private insurance, and have not suffered any smoking related illnesses. The taxes also did not discourage my use. So, why again did I have to pay all of that?

As for "they're going to raise tobacco taxes anyway, so should it be for cigs or ecigs?" well, perhaps they should find another source of revenue. If cigarette sales continue to decline(which they likely will) do you think they'll continue to leave ecigs alone(if they choose to do so now)? Perpetuating the state dependence on tobacco tax money will not end well, for anyone.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
The reason they tax the snot out of cigarettes is because anyone who complains is immediately cast as a social pariah.

Try increasing the tax on booze and see what happens. Far more people drink than smoke, and the resulting outrage immediately causes politicians to reconsider the idea. Doesn't matter that booze causes more issues and costs society a LOT more in the long run than cigarettes do.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
If I could turn into a Superhero it would be ACCOUNTING MAN!!
I would love to be able to audit the entire Federal Government in a single bound.

Point out any waste, any fraud, any corruption, any misuse of funds...
With my Mighty Calculator of Truth!!!

Maybe then we could run the government with the money already being taken from us.
Maybe then we could stop raising taxes and finding new sources of revenue.

Maybe then we could stop being a siphon for the rich to get richer.

ACCOUNTING MAN!!!!

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
If I could turn into a Superhero it would be ACCOUNTING MAN!!
I would love to be able to audit the entire Federal Government in a single bound.

Point out any waste, any fraud, any corruption, any misuse of funds...
With my Mighty Calculator of Truth!!!

Maybe then we could run the government with the money already being taken from us.
Maybe then we could stop raising taxes and finding new sources of revenue.

Maybe then we could stop being a siphon for the rich to get richer.

ACCOUNTING MAN!!!!

I applaud the lofty Superhero, however the associated Harris Tweed costume will need work.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
The PA legislature is going to impose higher taxes on various tobacco products (and perhaps vapor products), but the discussion is now about how much to tax each of the different product categories.

The higher the cigarette tax, the lower the tax will be on e-cigs, smokeless and/or cigars (and vice versa).

Which may not be true whenever a tax money grab is in the rangefinder. And the specific exclusion of a tax increase on cigars smacks of elitism.

What has that thing Leona used to say?

6342530258_8fd6fc412c_z.jpg

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
The reason they tax the snot out of cigarettes is because anyone who complains is immediately cast as a social pariah.

Try increasing the tax on booze and see what happens. Far more people drink than smoke, and the resulting outrage immediately causes politicians to reconsider the idea. Doesn't matter that booze causes more issues and costs society a LOT more in the long run than cigarettes do.

Oh, I'm pretty sure they're working on it, though you're right that there will likely be a LOT more pushback.

How can we prevent excessive alcohol consumption and reduce its economic costs?
Communities can use effective interventions to prevent excessive drinking and related harms and costs. These include:

• Implementing pricing strategies to increase the price of alcohol
  • Regulating the number and location of where alcohol is sold (outlet density).
  • Holding alcohol retailers liable for injuries or damages caused by their intoxicated or underage customers.
  • Avoiding moving from state-controlled alcohol sales to commercial alcohol sales (privatization).
Alcohol Use Costs Increase

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Oh, I'm pretty sure they're working on it, though you're right that there will likely be a LOT more pushback.

I lived in Idaho for a brief spell a few years back and the politicians there were seriously considering putting a sin tax on booze. The resulting backlash caused them to rethink that in a hurry.

Reactions: Lessifer

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
As for "they're going to raise tobacco taxes anyway, so should it be for cigs or ecigs?" well, perhaps they should find another source of revenue.

The PA budget battle has been going on for 18 months, and they've already rejected the vast majority of Gov. Wolf's proposed tax hikes. Tobacco and vapor products are about the only things still on the table.

Its easy to say that legislators should tax something else, but that's not realistic. I invite everyone to tell PA legislators what other things they should tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread