Smokefree Pennsylvania urges PA legislators to hike cigarette tax, but no tax on smokefree products

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The following letter has been sent to all PA House and Senate leaders, and most Reps and Senators.

December 5, 2015

The Honorable Dave Reed
Pennsylvania House Leader
Harrisburg, PA 17120

RE: PA Budget, please support cigarette tax hike, but no tax for low risk smokefree alternatives

Dear Representative Reed:

By increasing cigarette taxes, and by NOT taxing far less harmful vapor (i.e. e-cigarette) or smokeless tobacco products, PA’s budget can improve public health and fiscal accountability.

More than 99% of tobacco attributable morbidity, mortality and healthcare costs are caused by cigarette smoking. In sharp contrast, vapor and smokeless tobacco products are 99% less harmful than cigarettes, have helped several million smokers quit, and have saved taxpayers money.

A recent study found $170 Billion was spent treating cigarette diseases in the US in 2010, with >70% of those costs paid by taxpayers. At 4% annual inflation, US cigarette healthcare costs will reach $200 Billion in 2015, or $15/pack, of which taxpayers will pay about $11/pack. Yet, combined revenue from federal and PA cigarette taxes, and PA’s settlement is $3.50/pack.
http://www.ajpmonline.org/article/S0749-3797(14)00616-3/abstract

Another study found PA Medicaid expenditures for treating cigarette diseases were $2.24 Billion in 2012, while PA received $1.45 Billion in cigarette tax and settlement revenue. The study also found that a whopping 70% of PA’s 2.44 million Medicaid enrollees are cigarette smokers.
E-Cigarettes Poised to Save Medicaid Billions

While increasing cigarette taxes is wise, taxing low risk smokefree alternatives unfairly punishes people for quitting smoking, discourages smokers from quitting, deceives the public to believe they are just as harmful as cigarettes, and would decimate several hundred vape shops in PA that help smokers quit (as PA vapers would buy untaxed products online from out-of-state).

As you may be aware, Governor Wolf proposed a punitive 40% excise tax on low risk vapor and smokeless tobacco products in his budget due to lobbying by groups (i.e. ACS, AHA, ALA) that have received several hundred million dollars from Big Pharma to hawk and protect nicotine gums, patches, lozenges from market competition by vapor and smokeless tobacco products.

Once again, please support a cigarette tax hike, and oppose taxing smokefree alternatives.

Sincerely,

Bill Godshall
Executive Director
Smokefree Pennsylvania
1926 Monongahela Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15218
412-351-5880
BillGodshall@verizon.net

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
All PA vapers and vape shops need to urge PA legislators to oppose taxing vapor products

House GOP launches new round in Pennsylvania budget battle
"To support its spending plan, the House GOP was preparing a two-year, nearly $1 billion revenue package. The money would come from a $1 per-pack tax increase on cigarettes, new taxes on smokeless tobacco products and electronic cigarettes"

CASAA: Pennsylvania Call to Action: Oppose the Governor's unjustifiable 40% wholesale tax on Vapor Products and Smokeless Tobacco.

PA - The vapor tax is back and even more threatening.

PA General Assembly

Find Your Legislator

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Apparently a disproportionate number of smokers are on public assistance of some kind. I wonder what percentage of the tax collected on cigarettes was paid out as public assistance by governent to the people buying the cigarettes. So the government gives people money to buy cigarettes and most of it is collected as taxes and given back to the smokers so they have money to buy yet more cigarettes. It's a ponzi scheme.

Reactions: EBates

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
Apparently a disproportionate number of smokers are on public assistance of some kind. I wonder what percentage of the tax collected on cigarettes was paid out as public assistance by governent to the people buying the cigarettes. So the government gives people money to buy cigarettes and most of it is collected as taxes and given back to the smokers so they have money to buy yet more cigarettes. It's a ponzi scheme.

Nah, they die younger thus getting off assistance earlier. Bank!

Reactions: DC2

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Poor smokers. Everyone just keeps screwin' 'em harder and harder :(

As a smoker, I was worrying if I ever had to rent an apartment if I would be allowed to smoke, or at the beach, or even at a festival in a local park, how FAR would I have to walk to go have a smoke. Relentlessly pursued by the ANTZ.

Just think what would have happened had "we" not found an alternative. We'd still be being "chased down". :(

Maybe we can FORCE them to vape. :lol: (not really funny, actually).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread