Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Please use the "Share" feature on the blog post to Digg and share on Facebook, Twitter, etc!Wisconsin Vapers Blog - Enjoying a Smoke-Free Life: SmokeFree Wisconsin not about public health

In a recent blog post, I addressed a recent blog post by SmokeFree Wisconsin regarding smokeless tobacco products.

After a few readers questioned the logic of refusing to do "less harm" in promoting the use of smokeless tobacco over smoked tobacco, the author replied,

"Our priorities include proving for smoke-free environments, increasing the price of tobacco, and ensuring there is a strong, comprehensive tobacco prevention and control program.

To serve those priorities we partner to collect data, data which indicates that smokeless use is already on the rise in WI. We use data which shows that the burden of tobacco is NOT reduced by the use smokeless products.

We are not exposing smokers to any risks. We pass policies, we don't do treatment.

Smokeless is not less harmful. Period."​
So, where is the goal of protecting public health in this statement?

Where is the accountability that in setting policies, they effect public behavior?

Since when did it become "the burden of tobacco" over....

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I can't believe how stupid these people are. How can you KNOW that the greatest danger of smoking is the SMOKE and turn around and tell people that tobacco WITHOUT SMOKE can't be less harmful??

It truly shows that they don't care about public health - they care about their blind ambition to eradictate all tobacco use and it doesn't matter who gets hurt along the way!

The fact that smokeless tobacco use is UP in Wisconsin is a GOOD thing - it means more people are choosing smokeless options over smoking!

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
Need a Howitzer to get the concept of harm reduction through the thick skulls at SFW. They are dead set against it. I remember a quote from an old book I once read about psychic abilities....the scientist who was demanding proof of abilities stated, baldly, that "There isn't enough evidence in the world to convince me that these abilities exist,"

This is the mindset and mentality we fight - ANY study or discussion or proof or argument will be discounted, torn up, ignored, or otherwise ridiculed by these people - it couldn't POSSIBLY be accurate if it distorts their vision.

These are zealots. They've lost the truth, now all they have is the goal.

bassnut

Crumby Jokes
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I can't believe how stupid these people are. How can you KNOW that the greatest danger of smoking is the SMOKE and turn around and tell people that tobacco WITHOUT SMOKE can't be less harmful??

It truly shows that they don't care about public health - they care about their blind ambition to eradictate all tobacco use and it doesn't matter who gets hurt along the way!

The fact that smokeless tobacco use is UP in Wisconsin is a GOOD thing - it means more people are choosing smokeless options over smoking!

I Dugg it.

This may sound overly cynical but I believe their "stupidity" stems from their fanatical hatred of smokers as addicts. At the end of the day it's about bigotry and fear and it's gone way beyond their fear of second-hand smoke.
It get's a little scary when you think about the implications of that.

Can you think another good example in world event history when blind fear and hatred trumped reason?

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I Dugg it.

This may sound overly cynical but I believe their "stupidity" stems from their fanatical hatred of smokers as addicts. At the end of the day it's about bigotry and fear and it's gone way beyond their fear of second-hand smoke.
It get's a little scary when you think about the implications of that.

Can you think another good example in world event history when blind fear and hatred trumped reason?
Just one - Nazi Germany.

Of course, add in greed and I could add many more!

D103

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
cedar rapids, iowa
I agree Bassnut the implications are frightening!! and when you ask the queston "Can you think of another good example in world event history when fear and blind hatred trumped reason?" There are agonizingly Way Too Many:

The Crusades
Japanese Internment camps in the U.S.
Every Holy War throughout the history of mankind
Slavery / Civil Rights / Womens' Suffrage
"Papers Please" legislation in Arizona in addition to Banning Cultural Ethnicity classes
in ALL Public schools in Arizona
Assassination of Martin Luther King, Robert Kennedy and President John Kennedy

The popular phrase "color blind" to supposedly imply a lack of racial prejudice but which actually promotes the deepest form of racial prejudice - denial of humanity's vast array
of differences. For a person to say "I'm color blind, when it comes to race and ethnicity is just simply dishonest, ignorant and bigotted.

And then of course, our plight - the longstanding, systematic demonization of smokers in a failed and misguided attempt to 'free the world of ALL SMOKING' even things that look like smoking (BUT ARE NOT) and to the exclusion of safer alternatives to smoking which are clearly in the best interests of Public Health, because...after all...as Vicks Vap-oh-yeah so aptly put it....it's NOT their :evil: GOAL :evil:

D103

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
cedar rapids, iowa
This is a little off topic and I apologize for that.....but regarding what everyone recognizes as sheer stupidity, there was a short news bit on TV last night re: some 'Tea Party' rally/protest somewhere and they showed a picture of some bozo holding up a big sign which stated:

GET a BRAIN
YOU MORANS!!

What do you say to that? What can you say?

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
This is a little off topic and I apologize for that.....but regarding what everyone recognizes as sheer stupidity, there was a short news bit on TV last night re: some 'Tea Party' rally/protest somewhere and they showed a picture of some bozo holding up a big sign which stated:

GET a BRAIN
YOU MORANS!!

What do you say to that? What can you say?
If we're going off topic, I listen to sports radio all the time.
And I am constantly hearing athletes using "big words" incorrectly.

Example: Coffee is the best way to instigate myself to get ready for practice.

Why would you start using a word when you don't even know what it means?
Shouldn't you make sure you know what it means before you start using it?

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.
:)

ezmoose

Dec 18, 2009
USA
Commented

The preponderance of the harm is in the smoke; get it! Apparently not! Like the saying goes, you can not graft a new idea onto a closed mind!

The "all or nothing" mentality of anti-Tobacco Harm Reduction zealots will result in countless deaths! I don’t know how they can look themselves in the mirror or sleep well with that on their conscious?

and Dugg

It gets rather tiring talking to walls!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread