Smokers / Ex-smokers only - What was your experience with NRT patches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I'm not a great believer in "random coincidences", but I'd be interested to hear of other ECF members experiences with high strength NRT patches. It would be interesting to see if anyone else has had the same encounters.

Just after 2004 or thereabouts, and over the next 10 years or so, I had a number of semi-succesful attempts giving up smoking using this method. The only one that truly worked for me was the 24 hour patch, applied last thing at night so I woke in the morning having those very lucid "nicotine driven" dreams. The best I can describe this is as is very intense, surreal, weird dreams in vivid colour - the sort of thing your grandmother would suggest was down to eating too much cheese before going to bed. As I awoke in a relatively good frame of mind [I am not a morning person - I'm convinced 85% of my dna is vampire], I could skip the first analogue of the day. So far so good. I'd cut down on the nicotine levels, and eventually wean myself off both patches and the nicotine, and last maybe 6 months before something tipped me over the edge and I'd fall off the wagon and start smoking again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Then something very strange happened. I used to put the patches on my back, roughly where my kidneys were. I'd alternate sides daily to prevent any skin irritation, but there was no obvious sign of severe allergy or a bad reaction other than a very slight redening of my skin, which I put down to the adhesive. I have always had sensitive skin, and suffered bad eczema as a child. So nothing out of ordinary there.

I then started suffering the most violent back pain imaginable every few days, which actually made me nauseous and close to tears on a number of occasions. The pain was indescribable, but it was not muscular, skeletal or down to a trapped nerve AFAIK. The best I can describe it was if someone wrapped a steel belt around your waist and just kept tightening it. It didn't affect me on the front, and my breathing was fine, and it was not my lungs themselves. It was just purely across the small of my back.

I didn't think much of it [typical male here, grin and bear it, doctors are for wimps etc.], until a few weeks later. I woke up one morning feeling absolutely wretched, and very panicky. I didn't know what was wrong with me at the time [more on this later], and decided to go downstairs. As I walked into the kitchen, I realised I was about to collapse, but something very strange happened. I just knew I had to get that nicotine patch off my back or I was going to die. I reached around, and ripped it off, just before I passed out with such force that I totally destroyed the kitchen waste bin that broke my fall in the process. An angel, God, my subconscious or a higher being, I really don't know, but I'm convinced I'd be compost now if I hadn't acted at the time - but I do believe someone was looking out for me. As for my other half, she was sound asleep in bed and didn't wake up. I did scare the cat senseless though. Any protestations from Mrs OG about being a "light sleeper" are now met with a very wry grin ...

Half an hour later, and I was back to my usual self. I was probably only out for a few minutes or so. A cup of coffee and a RYO later and I was my usual, grumpy, cantenkerous, morning self. I know there are grave risks to your health if you smoke while you are on NRT, but I hadn't been doing that at the time. Admittedly, when I was on the lower mg pathches I'd sneak a couple of RYO's from time to time, but nothing major. I was convinced that I had suffered a nicotine overdose, and I started joining the dots with the back pain. Probably wasn't the wisest thing to smoke after the event, but it didn't affect me in the slightest.

Asking around in the office, I found out that quite a few other people had really bad reactions to the patches. What was for me such strong empirical evidence that these things are not as safe as they seem, was 2 accounts from 2 other colleagues. One chap put the patches on his arm, and was suffering really bad pain in his arms. Another placed them on his legs, and was suffering leg pain. I put mine on my back ...

I finally bit the bullet and went to my doctor, and it wasn't until I went through a thorough examination they then discovered I had COPD. I went on various inhalers etc, and would take ventolin at night which always pushed my heart rate up, but not that severely. I decided to get a mini-heart rate oxygen meter, and discovered [as I'd always known] that I'm a typical high/fast metabolism sort of guy, thin as a rake, but even at rest my heart rate sat around 110-160 BPM without discomfort. Then one morning I woke up feeling like death [as I did during my dustbin encounter, but nowhere quite near as bad]. Recognising the symptoms, I put the heart monitor on and I was sitting at a rather spectacular 220 BPM. A call to the doctor and a trip to the emergency room later, some oxygen and a saline drip brought be back to a reasonable level, and it was then I ended up on beta-blockers which have managed this condition well so far.

What is really strange about this whole thing is I used to drink maybe 5-12 cups of really strong coffee a day. Never touched the sides, didn't affect my heart rate or my sleep patterns. Many a time I'd drink 3-4 strong espresso shots, go to bed an hour later and sleep like a baby. I know this as I monitored my heart rate after drinking coffee [which I sort of gave up later on as a precaution]. I dread to think what my heart rate was like that morning I collapsed, but I guess I was heading for 250 BPM. With the ventolin episode, I managed to get to ER [20 mins away], and wait for 5-10 minutes before I was seen. The nurses face was a picture when I explained what was wrong with me [That classic, yeah, right I believe you look], but I had calmed down a bit by then. The more accurate hospital ECG had me at 195 BPM at rest, which the doctor put down to the Ventolin.

So here I am, at least now I can manage my nicotine intake, vaping on my own terms. If you don't hear from me ever again, I've messed up on the nicotine dosage on my first batch of DIY fluids and the beta-blockers have failed ... :confused: .

Possum64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I tried the NRT patches years ago. At the time I was a packet a day smoker. I was going to visit and stay with friends (who are non-smokers) for a couple of days. Trying to be considerate, I thought I would try the patches while I was visiting. Within half an hour of putting a patch on I became very nauseous, to the point where I did vomit.

I am not the sort to be prone to nausea so this was strange for me. Removed the patch - within a short time the nausea had gone.
I waited a few hours and tried another patch - same thing happened - came over all nauseous again.

So for me, the patches were not at all successful. I do believe it is the method of nicotine delivery (transdermal) that didn't work for me as I vape between 18-20mg now and have no side effects whatsoever.

Reactions: stols001

steeledragon78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
Owasso, OK, USA
i had always put mine on my back between my neck and shoulder, the only negative reaction i had was an itchy spot that was worse than rolling in insulation and blasting media. the last time i tried them, i was watching tv in my room and just started getting angry for no reason. couldnt explain it, i was watching a show i liked, drinking my favorite tea, even had the next day off. ripped it off right then and there and went back to dipping for another 9 months before getting my first ego.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
I tried patches a few times. It didnt really work out for me on any of them, I felt like a cigarette the whole time to ease the increased sense of anxiety I was feeling.
The third time I tried it with a work mate and we kinda did okay for a while, about 2 days, but both of us felt a sense of anxiety that having a cigarette would make go away, so we had a cigarette. It as great. I can still remember how good it was.
The fourth time time I tried patches I took the advice of someone who had quit for 3months and removed and reapplied the patches regularly to try and prevent the constant but slight feeling of anxiety. It worked for a few days reasonably well and was the best run I had with patches. Ultimately too much fussing around and it was very hard to control.
Through vaping I have found that my problem isnt really nicotine. I can vape nicotine free for up to 5 days and not feel much about it, I smoked for 42yrs so it was a pretty big surprise for me to discover that while nicotine is something I like I dont suffer too much with out it. The hand to mouth, mouth to lung, exhale, keeping occupied aspect is just as important but neither by them selves or even together are any substitute for tobacco.
Even after 11months of being tobacco free but well dosed up on nicotine and with the hand to mouth thing all taken care of I still feel like having a cigarette and know that there is something else in tobacco that I was extracting and enjoying, craving in fact. Vaping nicotine just isnt the same as smoking tobacco, there is a big gap between the two things. The gap between patches and cigarettes for me is even bigger.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Are you still using nic in your juices, @Coyote628 ? If so, what mg? You must have the constitution of an ox, I think if I smoked with a high nic patch it would cure me of smoking [and everything else] permanently :cry: !
I use 6mg in a sub ohm rta. 65-80watts, depending on the juice flavors. Even made a batch of diy once at 9mg, still at sub ohm. That one made me a litte buzzy at first, but i adjusted by the end of the day. And heres another kick, im 55 and take zero prescription meds. None.

• Winner
Reactions: Possum64

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I tried the patches once. I didnt have the problems you had but i didnt stop smoking either. Even while wearing a patch. I guess im a nic junkie from way back and always will be. But vaping has allowed me to stop smoking
^ This describes my experience, except I had tried the patches on several different occassions. I still desired a smoke using the patch (I was using the highest strength patch available), had the lucid nightmare-like dreams, and would get reddened skin irritation if I put the patch on the same area. In other words, the patches were a failed attempt to quit smoking and a waste of money.

Nicorette gum was no better. It did better in reducing my desire to have a cigarette, but the gum caused upset stomach and ALWAYS gave me the hiccups.

Tried using one of the doctor-prescribed drugs (Wellbutrin?) being used at the time said to help smokers quit, but after taking it for 3 - 4 days I had "brain fog" and couldn't function at work, so I had to stop it.

Even tried hypnosis...twice. Once in a "stop smoking" group setting and another time one-on-one with my college psychology professor who was a hypnotist and psychologist.

Vaping was the only successful attempt to stop smoking. I managed to totally quit smoking on my first attempt by dual using for the first week and then giving up the cigarettes for good in April 2012. Never wanted another cigarette again. I stated vaping with 18mg nic and am currently either 3mg or 6mg.

Last edited:

Joules_Verne

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2013
SW France
I also tried patches - 3times.
For the last 30yrs of my 55yr smoking addiction I tried off and on to quit.
First time with NRT patches - Nightmares and total night-sweats.
Second time - so irritable MrsD instructed me to stop-right-now!
Third time - red blotches/irritated skin from the first patch used.
Hypnotherapy worked for 3 days until I met up with a bunch of my colleagues in the bar at London/Heathrow airport for a last real beer before returning to Saudi Arabia and that was it, beer and gimme a cigarette.
Worst I tried was nicotine cartridges in a 'cigarette holder' wow, 80 puffs equals a cigarette !
Even worse was a NRT nasal spray.
None of it worked until I started vaping, dual-used for a month then to 3-a-day for a week, then 2-a-day then 1-a-day then quit.
Been vaping now for 5yrs and haven't had a ciggy since.
My hang-up was/is hand to mouth kind of thing, not the nicotine although I still add nic around 7mg for the enhanced throat-hit.
DaveD

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I tried the patch once and hated it. I don't think it was strong enough for my nicotine level needs, but the thing that makes it the WORST in my opinion would be the fact that it just sort of steadily dispenses this even stream of not enough nicotine. I mean, with a cigarette you get peaks and valleys, with this I got this sort of low level, crawly, horrible sensation of "just not enough nic" like 24/7. Gum and lozenges are at least slightly better.

I also got bad sleep. If you dont' want to get the irritation you need to place the adhesive patch on different areas of your body and rotate it (true for most subdermal patches) getting an irritation would like, happen with more exposure to just one area of the body.

The only way the patch would have worked for me, would have been like, if I smoked on top of it which kind of defeats the purpose.

It is my opinion that folks who quit on the patch (and interestingly, the patch's efficacy decreases with every use) are actually getting a placebo effect ,and they're basically quitting slightly harder than if they went cold turkey, and like, assume the unpleasantness is related to quitting, not the patch, but they're really determined but they go ahead anyway. My dad was like that, so I did not offer up my "opinion" of the patch, I just let him have at it.

The patch sucks..

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've always believed that the reason that vaping is more successful than the other "stop smoking" aids is 3-fold:

• Vaping replaces the nicotine delivery of a cigarette and therefore satisfies the physical addiction on a "need" basis (cravings).
  • Vaping simulates the "hand-to-mouth" learned behavior of smoking, something that the other aids fail to do.
  • Vaping simulates "inhaling/exhaling" smoke behavior, but replacing it with vapor, again something that the other aids fail to do.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
I've always believed that the reason that vaping is more successful than the other "stop smoking" aids is 3-fold:

• Vaping replaces the nicotine delivery of a cigarette and therefore satisfies the physical addiction on a "need" basis (cravings).
  • Vaping simulates the "hand-to-mouth" learned behavior of smoking, something that the other aids fail to do.
  • Vaping simulates "inhaling/exhaling" smoke behavior, but replacing it with vapor, again something that the other aids fail to do.
I also think vaping gives the user the ability to control the nicotine intake.
A patch is on and working all the time it is on you cant control or regulate it. With a vape you get to control the intake, just like smoking.
For me patches were a complete fail simply because I couldnt control what I was getting, it just averaged out my nicotine consumption over the day and kept a constant steady stream going.
All I want is a hit when I want it or "need" it and then Im happy for it to die off until I feel like the next hit. Im looking for a "spike" not a flat line experience. Maybe some people like a flat line, constant rate but it doesnt work for me.

• Agree

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I also think vaping gives the user the ability to control the nicotine intake.
A patch is on and working all the time it is on you cant control or regulate it. With a vape you get to control the intake, just like smoking.
For me patches were a complete fail simply because I couldnt control what I was getting, it just averaged out my nicotine consumption over the day and kept a constant steady stream going.
All I want is a hit when I want it or "need" it and then Im happy for it to die off until I feel like the next hit. Im looking for a "spike" not a flat line experience. Maybe some people like a flat line, constant rate but it doesnt work for me.
Exactly. I even tried to rub the patch when I had a craving, hoping that by doing that it might result in stimulating more blood flow to the area for a spike in nicotine delivery. No such luck.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
One time I got hospitalized (oh just horrible long story) but the hospitals (all three) agreed to let me have the gum (they parceled it out at intervals and made me return the spent gum) because I was just such a wreck, mentally, that like, when they found out my husband brought me the gum, they gave up.

I was hospitalized for 5 weeks involuntary so I couldn't leave hospital grounds to smoke. The driver who took me from the fancy private (but terrible) private hospital to the smelly, unkempt but actually reasonable state hospital, he was a smoker.

I smoked ONE cigarette after the drive but before reentry. The moon was full. It was the best cigarette of my entire life, and there is no point smoking NOW, like, I've already experienced the cigarette that was the apex of my smoking career.

I guess they worry about gum being traded? I was like, "Look at me! Look at my condition! Who, even equally insane, is gonna want to trade nicotine gum with ME, that's been in MY mouth!"

It's a good thing they caved, I woulda gone cold turkey before the patch then things would really be dire, what with that and the "decaf coffee" etc.

Anna

Reactions: Joules_Verne

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I've not read it all (no interest in dredging up a long-forgotten memory) but they made me feel ill/sick and often panicky. I used them for about a week with a very poor early-model e-cig. Then I dropped the patch and also upgraded from some rip-off nonsense cig-a-like e-cig which was little more than a plastic vanity stick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread