The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Smokestik vs. ego

Discussion in 'SmokeStik' started by austintx, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. austintx

austintx Full Member Verified Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Hi - I started out with the SS, then was encouraged to get the eGo. I refill both the SS cartomizer as well as the eGo cartridges, but just don't get the TH with the SS as I do the ego, even with the same juice. Why is that? Is it that the power is less? I wish I could get the same experience with my Hendu SS, as I love the form factor and don't mind recharging, but the taste, vapor and TH just don't seem to compare in my opinion. Anyone know why? thanks,

2. spacekitty

spacekitty Krazee Kat Laydee & Guru-X2.5 Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 3, 2010
    SoCal, USA
    I'm probably the wrong person to be jumping in here... but you are talking apples and oranges by trying to compare the SS batts to anything else!! I was part of the Pitbull beta test, but I also have one of the Pink SS batts, too, and I can say that the SmokeStik batts are in a class by themselves...

The higher mAh and bigger size of the eGo just has to do with the life of the charge on the batt, but they are all 3.7v... And if you are also comparing cartos to an atty/cart combo there is also a big difference in the vaping experience you will have with both of those, too.

I fell in love with the length of the PB as well as it's performance, and I really like the SS cartos, but I also like my 510's with an atty/cart, too. SS does still have some of their attys and carts for sale, but they moved them to another page: https://usa.smokestik.com/cartridges/ .

3. Biomom

Biomom Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Have you tried the prefilled menthol cartos from SS? Plenty of vapor/TH to me. Also might want to think about topping off your SS battery with a full charge. You don't have to wait until it blinks to charge it up. I've seen it recommended to recharge when you notice the vapor production start to drop, which usually happens for me only about 10 puffs before it blinks anyway :)

SS cartos are a bit more complex and complicated to fill properly too. I'd recommend a method, but the design recently changed since my last order. Be very careful not to overfill of course.

4. Katya

Katya ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Austintx, if you wish to learn more about the eGo batteries and/or compare them to SmokeStik or other products, the most appropriate place to do so is the general forum, for instance, Requests for Reviews and Opinions. This is the SmokeStik subforum and the ECF rules (written and otherwise) require that we refrain from discussing other brands/manufacturers/vendors and/or comparing them to the host's product as a matter of courtesy and general forum etiquette. You won't get many answers to your questions here because most ECF members feel very strongly about those rules. [Since you're a relatively new member, I thought you might be unfamiliar with our customs. My post was meant to be informative, not critical in any way. I hope you understand that.]

Having said that, SS is a supermini, and as such, appeals most to people seeking a model that most resembles the act of smoking a cigarette. I own and use both the eGo/Riva batteries and the SS batteries and they each have their little niche in my vaping arsenal. But they are different and they fulfill different needs.

Welcome to ECF.

5. spacekitty

Aug 3, 2010
    SoCal, USA
    Some little birdie was up late... :?: or should I say early?? Thanks for clarifying that, Tweety!!

After sleeping on it, I decided to edit out the one part, just so I wouldn't ruffle any feathers... Ha!!

6. lorikay13

lorikay13 Supplier Associate ECF Veteran

Dec 13, 2009
    Oregon
    all that said.....I believe the technical answer is the resistance of the cartomizers. Ego cartos are going to be much lower resistance than ours.....therefore they will get hotter faster just due to that. However...also is the fact that the SmokeStik is an auto battery with a cutoff time of 6 seconds. The Ego is a manual battery so it probably has either no cutoff or a longer cutoff......so the equation would look something like this:

low resistance + longer cutoff time =:evil:

how did I do Katya? :laugh:

and the point about overfilling is valid as well....overfilling will diminish vapor production AND TH by inhibiting the heating properties of the atomizing coil

7. HyOnLyph

HyOnLyph Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2010
    Orange County, CA
    I understand the reason for recommending the main forum to ask this question... but most people on the main forum don't know anything about SmokeStik and they clump them in with low quality minis.

I purchased a few adapters so that I could use the SS Carto on a 510 and 808 connector.

There is a difference in the way the SS is used and the eGo. The eGo has a button. You can hold that button down as long as you like and take a really slow draw to increase vapor/flavor/th. The SS, is auto... you have to draw just hard enough to get that thing to turn on. Sometimes it's a little harder than normal or a little more airy. So the vapor-to-air mixture will be different.

The one thing I have found about the SS carto is .. sometimes it's a bit "airy". I'm not sure if it's a tightness issue or what. I have found that if I don't tighten the carto "gently but firmly" it will pull too much air. Even when I tighten it, sometimes the carto is still a bit too airy. But when it is... I just hold my finger over one of the tiny little ports at the threads and get huge vapor and flavor. Even with that, I don't get any burnt taste... ever.

8. Katya

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Sorry, I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers either. It's just that Bill and Lorikay and BigBlue give us such a long leash, really, they let us discuss almost anything here. All I meant to say was that this subforum is really for discussing all things SmokeStik, but Hy's point is valid too. SS is usually treated like any other poor quality, overpriced mini, and is often dismissed as such.

I think is does come down to the amount of power (heat) generated by the battery and atty/carto. Lorikay, you're always right! Basically, the amount of heat (power) equals voltage squared divided by resistance; Watts = V/Ω x V. Thus, if you put a 3.3Ω cartomizer on a 3.4v battery, you get 3.4 Watts of power (that's roughly SS battery and carto combo). Now, an eGo battery, which is, by the way, 3.2v, with a 2.6Ω atty, will generate 3.9 Watts, a substantially higher number. Alternatively, if one were to put a 2.0Ω cartomizer on a SS battery, one would arrive at 5.8 Watts, which is, IMO, very hot! I happen to know someone who actually does that. :facepalm: Of course, that would also cut the battery life probably in half, but what a joyous (albeit short) ride that would be. :evil:

9. HyOnLyph

HyOnLyph Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2010
    Orange County, CA
    No, no, no.... no ruffled feathers. It's all love here.

So theoretically, If I put a SS carto on a eGo battery, I should get less vapor than using a eGo cart w/ eGo battery?
    hmmm... I'm gonna have to rethink this. It didn't seem to work that way with the 510. I got great vapor using a SS carto on a 510 bat. But then, the button may make the difference.

10. spacekitty

Aug 3, 2010
    SoCal, USA
    You didn't see the part I edited out.... it had to do with adapters and attys View attachment 24442

11. Katya

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    The wattage is only one part of the whole vaping experience; there are other components that matter, like the manual switch, allowing more control and longer draws; the overall power of the battery; and the fact that the eGo batteries' voltage doesn't sag--it stays the same from fully charged to almost discharged.

I did. [​IMG]

12. Katya

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    And if you'd like to hear from someone who actually knows what he's talking about, it's all here. :blink:

13. lorikay13

Dec 13, 2009
    Oregon
    isn't that what the jumper cables in the trunk of my car are for?????

"I just like expressing Ohm's law differently..."

RFLMAO!!!!! which one of you has the correct understanding of the "law"?????? Or is it flexible depending on context, presence of alters, cycle of the moon etc?????

sorry....I just couldn't resist!!!! I think the only reason we havn't heard from Steve yet is that the poor man probably bit his tongue off laughing!!!

14. sooperdrave

sooperdrave Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 14, 2010
    Maine
    ohms law:

V = IR

thats about all that you need to know lk. lol.

15. lorikay13

Dec 13, 2009
    Oregon
    apparantly not,Dave. It would appear that this particular law has a built in dropdown menu where you can pick whichever variables suit your needs....at least if your using it for the purpose of vaping. LOL!!!

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say.....if you have to ask....the answer is probably 'Yes'. :)

but my question is are you supposed to leave the car running? Or turn it off when you use the jumper cables to power your LR carto ?

16. bigblue30

bigblue30 Supplier Associate ECF Veteran

May 10, 2010
    Saint Clair Shores
    LK, you are so right, it did bring a smile to my face and my tongue is still sore! Before I came to work here, I was always in the modders’ forum and one of the best (and heated, no pun intended) discussions we had was about this subject. In fact, if you have lots of time just do a search on Ohm’s Law.

The great thing about Ohms Law is that it is a law….that means that it always works the same, every time. When I received my degree in applied electrical engineering 30 some years ago there was no internet and we had to know ohms law without looking it up, and yes I had to walk to school uphill both ways, lol

Below is just part of one of the posts about Ohm’s Law. Trust me, most of you don’t need to read this…or even care. Please understand that a lot of thought has gone into battery voltage, the switch design, and the cartomizer resistance to balance the enjoyment and reliability of your SS!

First thing should be Ohm’s Law… A good on-line Ohm’s Law calculator is this one:

Ohm's Law Calculators

If you are “old school” like me, you can just use your calculator or slide rule.

Before we begin we have to understand a few terms.

“E” Electromotive force,is a difference in charge that is stored as electrical potential energy known as EMF. It is EMF that causes current to flow in a circuit. Some people call this voltage. It is measured in Volts.

“E” is a potential energy, it does not do any work and in our case it does not make heat, cause the e-liquid to vaporize, or give throat hit. An easy way to think of EMF is to think of it as water pressure in a hose. Water pressure does not get you wet, water your flowers, or fill up your pool.

“R” Is the electrical resistance of an object. It is a measure of its opposition to the passage (or flow) of a electric current. Think of this as a water valve. As you open or shut the valve more or less water flows. Again “R” alone does no works for us or heats up the atty. “R” is measured in Ohms.

“I” Electric current is a flow of electrons or the rate of flow of electrons through a conductor (wire, resistor, switch, atty….). In an E-cig, this flowing electric charge is carried by moving electrons. It is measured in Amps. One amp equals about 6.242 × 10 to the 1018 electrons flow past a given point per second. The electrons flowing through the atty wire is what heats up the atty, causing vapor and throat hit.

I know that what I just said is Electronics 101 for a lot of you, but we need to understand that electrons flowing through the atty are what we care about.

Now that we know that electrons flowing through the atty causes heat, what can we use to compare all the different voltages and different atty resistances that e-cigs have, to see how much heat these different variables can make at the atty?

I suggest we use The WATT. The WATT is the measurement of the rate of energy conversion, or in the case of an e-cig, how much energy does the atty consume or turn into heat. In an atty, that consumed energy is converted to heat. In an atty, heat is all we care about. I do not care what the voltage is, what the atty resistance is, or what the current through the atty is as long as it does not burn out. I care about how many watts the atty is using or how much heat the atty produces, because heat equals throat hit and vapor.

17. Katya

Supporting member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Ehem...So what's so funny? We seem to be in agreement... Or am I missing some humor somewhere?

Have a good weekend, everyone! :)

18. lorikay13

Dec 13, 2009
    Oregon
    RFLMAO......Katya......really? You don't see it???

dear....we are not laughing at YOU.....we are laughing at the fact that there is so much controversy over what is considered a "law". It's like listening to Stephen Hawking argue with Leonard Susskind about black holes.....or.....ah.......well.....Albert Einstien arguing with Sir Isaac Newton.....

"I just like expressing Ohm's law differently..."....get it???? It's a law....how many ways can there be to express it?

oh nevermind......just know we are most certainly not laughing at you!

19. bigblue30

bigblue30 Supplier Associate ECF Veteran

May 10, 2010
    Saint Clair Shores
    Katya, Please believe me I was not laughing AT you. I was responding to LK, She knows some of the history I have with this topic.

I must say though... If you get it that WATTS is what we need to look at .... then you understand what is important when it comes to e-cigs.

20. lorikay13

Dec 13, 2009
    Oregon
    Looks like we scared off the OP :( hey austintx....we're sorry......on thing you will find is that at ECF some of us have been around so long and been "talking" to each other for so long we tend to get carried away with our little cliques and inside jokes. So here is the real answer to your question:

Yes....you are correct in your observation that the vapor,flavor and TH is different between the SmokeStik and the Ego.......there is a list of reason for this and it has NOTHING to do with the BRAND of ecig.....it has to do with the model number and style.

A manual battery with a high mah rating and an atty attached will always get hotter and therefore produce more vapor, differences in flavor and throat hit.

NO cartomizer will be able to compete with an atomizer IF....IF...IF....the atomizer is performing up to capacity...which they rarely do. This is the trade off.....just the nature of a cartomizer diminishes the efficiency of vaporization. But cartomizers are so much easier to use and MUCH more consistant......atomizers are the supreme PITA in my opinion. But that is because I have never ever been able to make one work right.....something about being a squirrel I am sure...I just hate them! However....I have them....why? Because everyonce in awhile....if I really want to get the full flavor of a particular juice AND I have the time and patience to mess around with an atty.....I break one out.

And finally...SmokeStik does sell 4081 atomizers and cartridges. The 4081 atty is actually one of the better designs....rather it is ours or someone else's. This is an example of model number over brand...SmokeStik is a brand name......4081 is a model number and there are many different brands. Of course ours is the best. :laugh:

I hope this answers your question. Bottom line....everything in the ecig world is a tradeoff...there IS no perfect ecig.....and that is why all of our desks look like a burial ground for ecig equipment :facepalm:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.