Smoking 5 cigarettes a day

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicotineisbomb

Nov 24, 2017
I find this way cheaper than vaping, I also researched and at this low amount longterm the risks are very low for any type of cancer. I used to smoke a half pack / day but have cut down to this amount should I keep going with this? vaping is very tough for me to enjoy... as many of you know I struggle to stay with it.

Reactions: stols001

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I find this way cheaper than vaping, I also researched and at this low amount longterm the risks are very low for any type of cancer. I used to smoke a half pack / day but have cut down to this amount should I keep going with this? Vaping is very tough for me to enjoy... as many of you know I struggle to stay with it.

I think you should ask yourself the "tough" questions:
1. Do I really WANT to quit smoking?
2. If so, why? (health, financial, both, other?)

If you don't really want to quit and aren't motivated to, you won't. Period.

If you do and it is for health, then smoking even 1 a day is worse than vaping simply due to what is in them. Vaping is around a 95% safer than smoking. From a half pack a day, a 95% reduction of harm while still smoking, would mean you only get ONE HALF of a SINGLE cigarette per day. Even then you are still getting tar and all the extra carcinogens, just 95% less of them.

If you do and it's for financial reasons and you don't mind putting in a little effort, you can get the cost of vaping to under 10 CENTS a day. That is less than 1 cigarette a day. It does require a bit of learning and some DIY but it can be done, I am doing it.

If you decide you really want to quit and are motivated to do so, then maybe find some pictures of things that will help motivate you and place them around places where you spend a lot of time, to keep those reasons in mind. Maybe it is an activity you would like to do if you get healthier. Maybe it is family you would like to live for. Maybe it is something you could buy with savings.

We can help by answering questions on the "how to's", but you have to make your decision and find your motivation for any advice to work.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I spend less a day on vaping than 5 cigs a day would cost me $1,000 year and I don't spend that much vaping

NIH
Health Effects of Light and Intermittent Smoking: A Review

Cardiovascular Disease
Light and intermittent smoking carry nearly the same risk for cardiovascular disease as daily smoking (28, 29). The dose response relationship between tobacco exposure and cardiovascular mortality is highly non-linear

In the United States, lung cancer causes 1 out of every 3 cancer deaths in men (31%), and about 1 in 4 cancer deaths among women (27%) (44). There is a dose-response relationship for cigarette smoking and lung cancer, with no evidence of a threshold (27). For daily smokers (> 20 cig/day), the risk of dying from lung cancer is more than 23 times higher in men and about 13 times higher in women than nonsmokers (1). The risks for light smokers, while lower, are still substantial. Women between the ages of 35 and 49 who smoke 1 – 4 cig/day have 5 times the risk of developing lung cancer (RR 5.0, 95% CI 1.8 to 14.0) and men have 3 times the risk (RR 2.8, 95% CI 0.9 to 8.3) as nonsmokers (28

Light smoking is associated with lower respiratory tract infections, including a prolonged duration of respiratory symptoms (particularly cough) (35), cataracts (40), compromised reproductive health (36), an increased risk for ectopic pregnancy (38) as well as placenta previa (37), and poor bone mineral density leading to frequent ankle fractures in older women (39) (Table 1).

Last edited:

optsmk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Pleasanton, Ca.
I can understand how hard it is to get off the cigs. I had the same problem when I first quit back in 2009. The thing that finally made it easy for me to quit was the fact that local stores and vape shops started opening up all over the place.

But the fact of the matter is that anytime you inhale a burning substance, you are inhaling cancer causing carcinogens. It can come from cigarettes, BBQ's, exhaust from automobiles, burning something on your stove or oven etc... Vaping on the other hand burns nothing. It's just vapor. I have read that the FDA claims there are cancer causing carcinogens in ecigs, but I also heard that they got the temps on the ecigs high enough to burn the e-juice as well as the wick. So, the choice is yours. But I prefer to vape. I breath enough cancer causing carcinogens every day. I don't need anymore with cigs.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
If you want to smoke 5 cigarettes a day, by all means, do it. Feel free to rationalize it however you like. Me? No thanks. The lack of insurance deductibles I'll be paying will tilt the scales in favor of vaping...as far as long term savings go.

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
I find this way cheaper than vaping, I also researched and at this low amount longterm the risks are very low for any type of cancer. I used to smoke a half pack / day but have cut down to this amount should I keep going with this? Vaping is very tough for me to enjoy... as many of you know I struggle to stay with it.
Aside from the rationalization for smoking, what is it that's hard?

I ask that not to pick at you, generally curious.

As for smoking, 1 a day is worse than vaping. Play odds if you wish, it's your decision.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
As already mentioned the risk reduction is not linear so 5 cigarettes a day is not 75%safer than 20 cigarettes a day. If choose you have to decide what relative risks are acceptable to you. If vaping doesn't work for you then look at other solutions to stop smoking. Good luck.

Mike P

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2017

I highly recommend looking into a mtl like the aspire breeze and a salt based juice.

it's cheap, easy and IT WORKS. it's not like regular e juice, it works instantly just like a cig. Give it a try, for 35 bucks you can grab a breeze and 15ml of salt juice from basically any vape shop. I would recommend 30mg.

edit: I'm staring to feel like an aspire salesman lol

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I hate to agree with this assessment, but it's true. A definite amount of smoking per day will increase health risks rather than simply vaping, and it's at an (what I used to feel) was an ungodly low amount of cigarettes. I'd be thrilled to be "that vaper" who smokes an evening cigarette shortly before bed, and while it's certainly arguable that smoking 1 cig per day over 3 ppd reduces risk, it truly does not eliminate it completely.

Once I quit, I could literally FEEL that occasional cig in my lungs the next day. I've injured them enough, it appears. I mean, like coughing fits upon awaking and other joyous events. Those few times where I just FELL off the wagon for a day, well, I was straight back to my inhalers and etc. I really needed them too. I guess for me the damage done by cigarettes is pretty cumulative at this point, and KNOWING this has helped me with those stress cigs (I really wanted one yesterday, I was ill) because the bottom line is I started vaping (this time) not to try and cheat the odds with dual using, and simply because I needed to quit. I think a certain amount of dual usage is normal, but I am also the kind of person who can NOT just smoke ONE cigarette a day successfully for life. As other's have said, I'd be on an ever-increasing trajectory of back to smoking. It has happened before, I know myself. :)

With that said, I think reducing cigarettes is a noble goal, and if that's where you are at, that is where you are at. If you want to keep vaping, great. If vaping is somehow "too hard" there are other options like Swedish Snus that you might find more satisfaction from. Some folks turn to it entirely (also much safer than smoking) or use that AND vaping to find satisfaction. You are lucky to have options in this day and age is how I see it.

Again, JMO as always.... :) And I can't quite see how 5 cigs a day is WORSE than 10, but it is worse than one, and worse than 0, and worse than 0 for several years as your lungs recover. Mine certainly have, to a great extent but I'd love to see more improvements and not set myself back with even the occasional cigarette every now and then. They usually suck, and I ALWAYS feel the health consequences....

Anna

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

As long as we are Putting a Price on Health, How Much Cheaper is Smoking compared to Vaping for you?

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Your thread that was moved to the Not Advisable sub forum tells the story, at least for me.

You want to smoke, you'll go to any outrageous length, ignore reason & medical fact and have some form of self justification to do so.

I get it,,, it took me 8 years of trying to finally quit smoking, I didn't do it for myself not due to the social stigma or smell or any health related or financial reasons.

There is no safe or safer way to inhale the byproducts of smoldering tobacco.
If you really want to quit smoking, you will, the risks of smoking far outweigh any reward.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Ding, ding, ding!

Most people can't just smoke 5 cigs a day. I'l l just have 5 today, 10 next week, 15... oops a pack a day. That's the nature of it. Every time the chemical is low, the body says give me more. That's why it's an addiction.

@nicotineisbomb :

I, and I am guessing most others were "just smoking 5 a day" at some point. And it was no big deal if some days it was 6 or 7. Then it was no problem on party night if it was 10 since it was a one night deal. Good on you for cutting down from 10 a day to 5 a day. But if you are a relatively "new" smoker, you may just be at this stage.....for now. Next thing you know, you are buying a pack every 2 or 3 days instead of 4. And that ball just keeps on rolling! I have no, none, zero facts.....but I would bet it is next to impossible to find anyone who started with 5 (or 6 or 7) cigarettes a day and successfully remained there forever. At some point, and relatively soon, one of two things happen........you/we stop altogether or the number goes up, and up, and up.

At 5 cigarettes a day, just stop now! What's that? You're finding it difficult to "just stop" or you really don't want to stop altogether? Guess what? Those hooks are set, just not sunk in deep......yet! So stop now and if you find that difficult to do, vaping could be the answer!

If vaping is "tough for you to enjoy", it could simply be that you have not found your favorite juice(s) yet.

Kickingthesticks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 6, 2016
    You're lucky, there's so many people here that are willing to help and give advice, might want to listen to some of them. As far as quitting goes, the first time doesn't always work out. I've tried vaping a few times before in the past. Wasnt till 2-3 years ago that I finally figured out what works for me. Don't give up.

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 22, 2017
    Charlottesville, Virginia
    I smoked two every day in the morning for months. One day I realized that it had been a few days since I smoke, that was four years ago. Go it your own way, you'll be fine.

I know it was unintentional, but I now have Fleetwood Mac stuck in my head....thanks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread