Smoking alternatives not so free: E-cigarettes have different set of risks than traditional smoke (Indiana newspaperrective comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Smoking alternatives not so free
E-cigarettes have different set of risks than traditional smokes
The Shelbyville News > Archives > News > Smoking alternatives not so free

Could use some comments on this article, which actually promotes e-cigarettes and dissolvables, but includes amazingly inaccurate statements by an idiot respiratory therapist.

UnaVie Cardiology Center Registered Respiratory Therapist Skyla Gibbs said the new products were designed to circumvent legislation prohibiting public smoking, defeating the laws and smoke-free policies of businesses and municipalities designed to eliminate secondhand smoke while encouraging smokers to quit or smoke less.

While advertising they are alternative nicotine sources, the tobacco companies don't publicize the health risks.

"They're really targeting smokers," she said, adding consumers are lulled into a false sense of complacency because there is no smoke or additional toxins like the tar or carbon monoxide found in cigarettes.

"But they don't realize that the nicotine that's in these products, regardless of if they're smokeless or not, are still very harmful and it can still lead to cancer and gum disease," she said. "Nicotine addiction in itself can be very harmful."

When users think the products are healthier and there are no constraints on where they may be used, Gibbs said more frequent use could lead to a higher addiction to nicotine than by smoking alone.

Nicotine in any form increases the heart rate and blood pressure which over the long-term can lead to heart attacks and risk of stroke, she said.

"Due to the nicotine's addictive nature, the higher nicotine levels in some products is going to be harmful for the person," she said.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
One of the Comments

"Addicted junkies like smokers are usually under educated and I can see why
they can't tell the difference. Just quit, it's a dirty filthy addiction."
1-BS_Flag.gif

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
One of the Comments

"Addicted junkies like smokers are usually under educated and I can see why
they can't tell the difference. Just quit, it's a dirty filthy addiction."
1-BS_Flag.gif

Yes, supposedly they are reviewing comments before posting. That's about as abrasive as you can get and really added very little to the discussion.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
A new U.S. Food and Drug Administration task force has been studying the effects of e-cigarettes and potential health risks.

That's news to me. When was it formed? Who serves on it? What is the task force expected to produce?

I've emailed my contact that the FDA's Center for Tobacco Products asking about this task force, which I suspect is a figment of the reporter's imagination -- or of one of the folks he interviewed.

Last edited:

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
They printed my comment!

" I am saddened to see this kind of drivel being printed in a newspaper. There are no diseases known to occur from the use of nicotine. Electronic cigarettes and other Tobacco Harm Reduction products are up to 99% safer than smoking.

E cigs are not primarily so that people can get away with smoking in no smoking areas. They are a safer substitute for actually smoking. There is basically no side stream or second hand exposure to others.

I quit a 2 plus pack a day habit of 30 years using e cigs. I feel healthier. Nicotine actually may have some real benefits, as science is now finding out.

I wish people would quit acting like smokers are all ignorant scum. It's not nice. "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread