Smoking at work, how to approach this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im kinda wondering what some of the reactions people have gotton when they either approach there Employers about vaping at work and or the end result.

Now i work ina boatshop with chemicals and dust so on and so forth, but theres a handful of people that chew at work, which is awesome when u stick ur hand ina cold pile of sombody elses cold,slimy tobacco spit:mad:

As far as i can tell the whole state of Maine knows nothing of Ecigs whatso ever.

I brought my rig in on saturday to show one of the supervisors, because she really wanted to know more about it. The boss man rounded the corner and saw my Vapin. Spitn and sputtering i quickly assured him there was no smoke or open flame!! harmless i tells yah!!

His face was distorted with confusion and i could tell the wheels were turning abut what 2do about this.

He ended up walkin off not sayin much of anything, but i have a sneakin feelin i will be pulled aside Monday for a little "talk"

Any feed back would be great on how others have delt with this situation.

I dont wanna vape my face off inside work, but was just wondering if i could grab a quick pull once inawhile ~Capn~:p

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
HR may well say NO because other smokers may feel 'if he's allowed to...' that they should be too. A lot of places take the view that if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
Just bear in mind that even if they get all the info they might still refuse you - but if you stealth vape on bathroom break, there's not gonna be any smoke to give you away :)

gnosis

Jun 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I sneak off to the bathroom or an unused conference room. Although I have been known to sneak in the occasional 'stealth vape' .. well I stealth vape just about everywhere I go lol.

You could always remind them how much more productive you are without having to take analog breaks throughout the day.

Plus, if you've got a gig that pays benefits they'll probably be saving money in the long run.

Yah i think im totally leaning towards a stealth Vape once inawhile, due to the fact the HR dude is so by the book im sure he has a copyright stamped on his .....

Good guy, but a little stiff. Aaand the Safety man walks around with his chest puffed out so far im surprised he can see over it. Loves to use his Powaa w/e he can. We call him Sargent Safety. Dont get me wrong safety is a very important part in the work place! i sit on the safety committee actually lolz

im totally just not gunna mention it again to the boss and just kinda fade into the background on this subject at the work place. ~Capn~

viktor

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Burlington, Canada
I usually go outside to hang out with the smokers but sometimes just vape in my cubicle. Drag in the upright position then bend to exhale under the desk. A couple of coworkers laugh at me (I don't mind, I laugh with them), others have no idea what I'm doing. I think I attract more attention with my juice bottles, napkins and batteries :) Ordered ego & cartomisers today, hope it will clear the constant mess I' having.

me who

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2009
East Coast, Maryland
I generally keep it on the down-low unless I'm around friendly coworkers. The bathroom or unoccupied elevators are great too. It's funny when the elevator door opens and the vapor cloud comes rolling out. I'm just standing there :?: straight faced looking forward, some people look around like they saw a ghost or something but just stand there-:blink::confused:

Papa Hoyt

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2010
Georgia
I just told them that I quit smoking and they were thrilled. I work in Propane so they have rules about that kinda stuff.

I then told them how I quit and showed them the vaporizer and blew vapor clouds in their general direction.

They have not said a word to me but it is not like I am vaping in the customers faces either.

Tracey1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2009
Tampa, Fl
I vaped outside with the smokers on the first day I brought my PV to work. A few people were asking me about it when my boss came out the front door. He overheard others teasing me about it and started asking questions. So I took apart my then 3 piece 801 model and showed him what it was all about. He told me as long as there was no smoke it was okay with him to vape inside the office. It's a win win situation. I can vape at my desk and he gets a more productive employee. He's a good business man and realized that benefit immediately. I feel very blessed.

mmoolloo

Jun 21, 2010
México
I'd just vape discreetly, and be polite to anyone who asks. Your "elevator trick" reminded me of a 12 hour flight I was in (Panama-Madrid) last month. The girl sitting next to me on the plane saw me vaping at the airport when waiting for the baggage and asked me about it. I explained and then she went: "Oh, so that's why I saw smoke on the plane but couldn't smell anything! I thought I was going crazy"

audio

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Nebraska
A couple of thoughts, cap'n.

If you work in an area where smoking may present an ignition hazard for flammable vapors, don't forget that vaporizers may also be a potential ignition source. They're not explosion proof or intrinsically safe. In areas where smoking is prohibited because of ignition hazards, vaping should be prohibited as well. As long as your safety guy knows that you share this concern, he's not likely to object and may even appreciate you making his job easier.

All HR people are stiff. They are the lonliest people on the job. They can't afford to befriend anyone at work lest their objectivity be questioned. I hate 'em too, but I understand why they don't attend work-related social gatherings. They're not even able to laugh or smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread