Smoking Near Apple Computers Voids Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnandMe

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2009
Vancouver, WA
Did you read the comment from one of the anti-smoker on there - "I ask smokers I see smoking in public why they want to commit suicide in public, and they have no answer" - their probably to busy blowing their smoke in her face.

I wonder if she goes up to over weight people and askes then if their trying to commit suicide or if she is more selective in her complete hatred for certain people?

Funny Stuff

gooney0

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2009
Falls Church, VA
This is bad news for my 24" iMac with the extra 3 year warranty. :oops:

Biohazard is nonsense.

I have killed a video card with smoke. It had it's own duct and fan. The heat sink was covered in smokey fluff and overheated. The fans actually draw in dust and smoke.

I opened a friend's computer after years of use in his smokey office.. it was really powerful. It smelled like 1,000 Marlboro Lights. :) I could have cleaned it with a melon baller. The tar didn't kill the PC though it died of old age.

-Gooney0

solaar

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
What was it with 'an apple a day keeps the tech away' or something like that? But seriously, I heard the same kind of story about a Dell machine that was apparently clogged up so much with 'something' that the techs found their refuge in the tired old smoke paranoia and refused to service it. Even with their gloves on, that is.

Having experienced first hand smoke next to computers for many years and serviced them myself, it very much sounds like one of those urban legends, such as the tarantula in the Yucca tree. You'd have to literally chain smoke, permanently blowing the full drag of smoke directly into the hardware for years to get any of those alleged symptoms. It's probably more like the blanket management instruction 'if computer just smells ever so slightly of smoke, don't even make an effort to open it but put it on the 'refused list' right away.

Last edited:

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I guess that would follow through to Ipods and Iphones too. I wonder what form of biohazards might be picked up from riding around in your car all day with either in place. You don't think an open fireplace also creates biohazards? Apple can save a lot on selling warranties they won't honor. A wonderful world we live in.

yknotagain

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2009
Kenosha, WI
I finally convinced one of my customers it was time to replace one of her PCs which we built 9 years ago and loaded with tar deposits from years of heavy smoking. The only thing that was failing was the hard drive which is hermetically sealed.

I've had many computers come in over the years for cleaning full of things like shop oil/grease and powdered sugar (candy company). It's amazing what PC circuitry can withstand.

the86d

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2009
So. California, USA
LOL! I have PCs (yes PCs because I don't do apples, I do networking, and have never had DHCP issues because I am not a noob that has only used OSsuX on a Apple Corp. rig) all over.

None at my mother's house have had any more issues than the ones in mine. I never smoke in the house, she does.

I have 10 year old notebooks that run Slackware Linux, and/or WindowsXP "they have been non-smoke-free for many years." (Not the full 10 though.)

Thyestean

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2009
Upstate NY
Did you read the comment from one of the anti-smoker on there - "I ask smokers I see smoking in public why they want to commit suicide in public, and they have no answer" - their probably to busy blowing their smoke in her face.

I wonder if she goes up to over weight people and askes then if their trying to commit suicide or if she is more selective in her complete hatred for certain people?

Funny Stuff

I'd tell her "Because if I committed suicide by any other means I'd do that in public to just to horrify people like you" :D

Birdy

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2009
Houston
Um guys, I don't know how many of you actually have Macs but I do, and I have for about 15 years. They may say one thing in the fine print but in practice it doesn't go down that way.
My experience (and every friend I have who has a Mac) may not be universal but any time I've ever had something happen to any of my Macs they just fix it, for free. I've had what amounts to the entire innards of 2 different macs replaced at no charge, once completely out of warranty.
My Macbook went kablooey after 4 months. I took it in to send it off for repairs and they just went in the back and got me a new one- they didn't have the model I'd gotten so they gave me the next step up. No questions, nothing to fill out- they transferred my data and handed it to me.

The last time I went in to the store to ask about a problem I was having the guy noticed that my case had a hairline crack next to the track pad. Without any prompting from me he took it in the back and replaced the entire keyboard and inside case.

So yeah, just something to consider.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread