Status
Not open for further replies.

evilfrog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
portland OR
Here in Portland OR (as in many places) it is illegal to smoke within 10 feet of a business entrance. Failure to comply with this law results in a $350 fine for the business (and the offender will presumably not be welcome back).
I am curious if e-cigs are legal in these situations (as well as in bars, movie theaters, etc.). From other threads I gather that one should ask before vaping in a business... which is fine, but I am wondering more about legal consequences than politeness.
I work in a coffeeshop in Portland and would like to allow the few vapers who frequent the place to do so inside rather then banishing them to the back patio with the analog smokers, but I can't pay the fine! ...and yes, we do have some customers who would gladly call the health department on us.
Any lawyers out there?

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Laws are so different everywhere. Maybe get a copy of the specific law and see if e-cigs are mentioned specifically. If they're not, I'd think you'd have a great case....because this is NOT smoking. If it only says "smoking" then this is NOT smoking....

I'm not a lawyer, but that's just common sense. Read the law...if you can wade your way through it.

RandomMusing

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
Hollywood, Ca
This is a great question, but I don't know the answer :)

Since vaping I haven't tried vaping inside anywhere public. If I go to the bars I follow my friends out to the smoking patio to vape, but I've never vaped inside.

The only time I did was at the grocery store, I was standing in the frozen section, put my hand in my jacket pocket, felt my eGo, pulled it out and took a puff, then put it back.

I'd be interested to know what my city (LA) feels about e-cigs inside establishments.

mano932

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2011
Maine, USA
i live in Maine. No one up here has even heard of vaping. I get alot of funny looks. I try not be foolish with it though. I try to ease people in to it. Talk about it first then take it out. Ive manged to turn my favorite diner and a coffee shop into vap friendly establishments. If they are super busy i wont whip it out and get a cloud going. i try to be respectful so far its working great. I believe by all means if you wanted to be rude though, you could just start it up anywhere. Its not smoke there is no combustion. I think eventually you might even start to see signs under the traditional no smoking signs,stating no vaping. i would hate to see this. Totally defeats the purpose.

toddos

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2011
Washington
WA just added e-cigs to their smoking ban. I don't know if OR has yet, but if they haven't they probably will soon. CA, OR, and WA tend to all do approximately the same things over time. Usually CA does it first and WA and OR follow. This time WA got to it first, and I'm betting OR and CA will follow within the next year if they haven't already.

Also, when in doubt, ask. Check with your waiter or bartender if it's okay to use your PV. You may need to explain to them what it is, show them how it works, and be prepared to take "No" for an answer. If it's prohibited by law, they'll know. If it's not, it's up to the establishment.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
I am more concerned with politeness and not giving anti-smokers a personal reason to go after e-cigs. I don't think anyone wants to smell my vapor, especially while they are eating. I would not want to obscure someone's view of a movie, etc.

I vape where smoking is allowed and where I have been told I can vape. I also sneak vapes in the stalls of public bathrooms and in the home bathrooms of non-smoking family and friends. If I know I will be sneaking vapes in a bathroom I add some vanilla or peach ejuice to my tobacco ejuice, or use a sweet vanilla caramel or vanilla alone. It just leaves a scent anyone might confuse with cologne etc.

And BTW - one member's non-smoking apartment building actually amended their rules to say no e-cigarettes allowed either.

Last edited:

evilfrog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
portland OR
Well I sneak many tokes in at work... when its slow I chain vape in the back rooms.... no one has complained about odor (maybe they are just polite?). My only juice right now is Dunhill flavored (I'm new to this thing).... maybe it just smells better then the analog reek I used to have from constant cig breaks out on the deck? A dozen years ago everyone would smoke and play bridge in the back room for hours during work.... I miss it! Our best bridge player died of cancer. 40 years of unfiltered Pall Malls.
I guess I'll continue sub-rosa vaping.... maybe look the other way if a customer vapes when no one is around.

off topic: Bridge players are a group ripe for e-cigs. Pool hustlers are the only sub-culture more committed to smoking that I can think of.

EDDIE D

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2010
FLORIDA
i was visiting in san jose california for a few weeks in 2001 and i couldn't believe that you couldn't smoke in a bar, that was coming from massachusetts where it was all good, being at a bar and having to go outside to smoke was ridiculous. i haven't tried to vape in non-smoking areas yet, too much ignorance about the product. lots of resistance even when talking with smokers themselves as their only impression has been the overpriced and underperforming mall brands. it's going to be long journey to convert the smokers and the public's image but i've been seeing more and more vaping on television in the last year...

afrazier5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Today was my first day vaping at the office as I just switched over on Saturday. I did a few discrete tokes in the office bathroom to avoid going out to the frigid temps. Not going to try and convince them to let me do it in the office though as I'm one of only about 6 smokers in our regional facility.

toddos

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2011
Washington
For what it's worth, Washington's smoking ban has the same language. Justified based on second-hand smoke's effect on workers, and applies to "any kind of lighted pipe, cigar, cigarette, or any other lighted smoking equipment". However King County recently banned e-cigs under the same rules (you can still sell them and vape them, but not inside or anywhere the smoking ban affects). Their justification was that it entices analog smokers to light up. The BOH code hasn't yet been updated and still uses the same language as the state law that refers only to analogs and "lighted" implements.

The point is that just because the state says one thing doesn't stop cities or counties from doing something else.

VeeDubb65

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Monmouth, OR
I also live in Oregon, and I'll even try not to hold it against you that you live in the city that elected Kitzhauber again.......

Anyway, it's perfectly legal to vape where ever the heck you want in Oregon, with the exception of private property if the property owner or their representative tells you not to. For example, it's legal to vape at Lloyd Center, but if mall security tells you not to, your only options are to stop or leave.

There's also some common sense involved. Personally, I never vape where I couldn't smoke legally except for places that I could have smoked until they banned it last year like bars. Smoking in theaters has been illegal for decades, and it's just not worth the hassle to try to vape in one. People will complain, the manager will throw you out because they have the right to and they'll be annoyed about all the complaints. Not worth the trouble.

Trying to vape in a hospital or church is simply rude whether it's legal or not.

Walking down the side walk? I'll vape all I want.

Sandybeach40

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2010
Colorado
Here in Portland OR (as in many places) it is illegal to smoke within 10 feet of a business entrance. Failure to comply with this law results in a $350 fine for the business (and the offender will presumably not be welcome back).
I am curious if e-cigs are legal in these situations (as well as in bars, movie theaters, etc.). From other threads I gather that one should ask before vaping in a business... which is fine, but I am wondering more about legal consequences than politeness.
I work in a coffeeshop in Portland and would like to allow the few vapers who frequent the place to do so inside rather then banishing them to the back patio with the analog smokers, but I can't pay the fine! ...and yes, we do have some customers who would gladly call the health department on us.
Any lawyers out there?

You can vape anywhere

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
For what it's worth, Washington's smoking ban has the same language. Justified based on second-hand smoke's effect on workers, and applies to "any kind of lighted pipe, cigar, cigarette, or any other lighted smoking equipment". However King County recently banned e-cigs under the same rules (you can still sell them and vape them, but not inside or anywhere the smoking ban affects). Their justification was that it entices analog smokers to light up. The BOH code hasn't yet been updated and still uses the same language as the state law that refers only to analogs and "lighted" implements.

The point is that just because the state says one thing doesn't stop cities or counties from doing something else.

Which is why I said "unless there is a local ordinance"

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
Well, I just had my first bar outing this weekend. We were pretty much toast by the time the situation came up, but a couple of the people I was with were puffing in the booth with waitresses walking by and they didn't say anything. I would have asked first, just to keep on the up-n-up, but I was beyond coherency, so I just walked outside with the rest of the crowd. FWIW, all of the people who were vaping inside the bar were previously non-vapers, so at least a little more of the word has been spread.

I would always suggest to talk to the owner first. That helps educate and gives them the feeling of empowerment, which can help a lot if they approve of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread