Smokjoy gotta god (mech mod like)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shizen39

Mar 18, 2018
Hi, I have an atomizer by smok, the tfv12 prince that I use with the premade coils.

I would like to mount it on a tube mod, to make it more portable.
I was thinking about the smokjoy gotta god. What do you think of this tube?

I read that it does not work with resistances less than 0.15. But will it work with those from exactly 0.15? (like the x6 premade coil) haha
(I'll use it with 0.15 and 0.17 coils)
Would everything work? Will I be safe?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
We generally frown upon using premade coils on a mechanical mod. A mech has no protection circuitry to help guard against atomizer shorts.

You should never assume a premade coil is the resistance advertised. You must test them on a dedicated ohm reader before firing them. An ohm reader can help find a short (displays 0.0 ohm). Some premade coils have a short right out of the box.

Will you be safe? If I were you, I'd research for a tube regulated mod. Not only will it have built in protection circuitry, but you would be able to adjust your vaping experience by adjusting the wattage output.

Shizen39

Mar 18, 2018
We generally frown upon using premade coils on a mechanical mod. A mech has no protection circuitry to help guard against atomizer shorts.

You should never assume a premade coil is the resistance advertised. You must test them on a dedicated ohm reader before firing them. An ohm reader can help find a short (displays 0.0 ohm). Some premade coils have a short right out of the box.

Will you be safe? If I were you, I'd research for a tube regulated mod. Not only will it have built in protection circuitry, but you would be able to adjust your vaping experience by adjusting the wattage output.

Premade coils can have shorts? wow didn't know that. I've already bought the mod. I'll test the coils on a ohm reader. Thanks for your help

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Premade coils can have shorts? wow didn't know that. I've already bought the mod. I'll test the coils on a ohm reader. Thanks for your help
Yes, the factory made, drop in replacement coils for clearomizer tanks can have shorts (duds) right out of the box. They are hand-made by the thousands, and only a select few from a batch are quality control checked before leaving the factory.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
If it only accepts down to .15, then it has regulation and your only worries about shorts would be worries about the quality of that protection. That being said, if it only accepts down to .15 ohms and your coils are ,15 ohms, it's safe to assume that some of them will actually be .14 or so, meaning you will be at the mercy of your coil, and how the mod reads the coil as to if it will work or not. Basically, each coil will be a crap shoot. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. Also, it has a built in battery that works like a mech, so on a full charge you're going to be vaping that coil at around 120 watts. Have you tried that to see if the coil can handle that much power, or if you like the vape at that level?

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
It says it will only work with a .15 ohm or above coil. That's short circuit protection. It also says that it runs from 4.2 to 3.5 volts, so it has low battery cutoff as well. It also has a 10 second cutoff, so that's another protection. Like I said, I'm not familiar with Smokjoy so I can't attest to how good their protections are, but it clearly has some built in and isn't a true mechanical.

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
Yeah I think so. Reading on the web it work also with .15 coils. I think is a 28A battery. If I run with a 0.25 coil I think I would be safe enough to an omh read error right?
I'll let you decide what is safe enough for you. I don't know Smokjoy, and I only trust what I know. Assuming their protections work and cut you off at .15 ohms as advertised, then if your coil shorted out it won't fire it because it will be less than .15 ohms. So if it is legitimately a 28 amp battery, and if it does indeed prevent the mod from firing coils less than .15 ohms, than it would be a safe device to use. I would feel better if someone who has one tried to fire a .1 ohm coil and see if the mod rejects it before I bought one. So far, from the reviews I've seen nobody has tested that yet. One of the reviewers did say that it won't fire coils over .5 ohms, but nobody said that they tested under .15.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It's hard to say exactly. If you have an ohm's reader, I would test the resistance of your first coil on that. I do think it's a better plan to use an RDA than premade coils certainly. Usually to get the same resistance with a spaced coil, vs a contact one, I'm making about 1 less wrap. But, depending on diameter and other things, that could change. I believe you could calculate it out using steam-engine.org, to have a starting point.

I'd say that the smoke fixed wattage tube mod (when you can actually order one) would be a better fit for your drop in coil tank. You're kind of in a hard place, if you like tube mods, as many that are powerful enough for your needs will have a fixed wattage output, which is personally not my favorite thing in the world, but by matching the right coil in the prince tank, I guess you could achieve a satisfactory vape.

Anna

Reactions: Shizen39
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread