Smoktech Groove recall - Send them through the Post?? Seriously??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
This is bugging me and I see it as a considerable safety issue that could affect not only vapers but people employed in the postal services as well. Most folks know Smoktech have recalled the Groove. I've seen some vendors are now asking people to send the Grooves in. My vendor has advised me I may not have to send it in - he has my order no.

Here's what an thermal vented Groove looks like:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/apv-discussion/427656-please-read.html#post9748869

Here's what Smoktech say about handling a Groove:
Groove Recall

"Suggested Disposal Way:
To end users:

1do not throw or slap the groove battery
2)do not disassemble the groove battery
3)do not hide or drop the groove battery
4)take the battery to local distributors"

Bold added by me.

Since its been shown that simply dropping or banging a metal Groove is enough to cause a sudden thermal event, and plastic grooves are also at risk due to inadequate battery protection - why on earth would people be sending these though the post to their vendors? Do we really want a postal sorting facility to have a bomb on their hands? Or an injured postal worker? All that has to happen is a package gets dropped or banged about a bit, thrown into the back of a truck maybe - or just slips out of some-ones hands and hits the concrete. If the Groove is sent by plane - do we really want to see it go thermal mid-flight?
Are these people thinking? Is it worth even risking this over some severely flawed devices?

People who bought them should have order nos, and receipts and get refunds.

Last edited:

Transient

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2013
Alabama, USA
Agree completely. There has to be a way to safely separate it, destroy it, or disable the battery so nothing could happen. If an accident occurred with a postal worker or other civilian, it could reflect very badly on our community. I can't believe they're suggesting people send it back. At least if it's in your possession, you can keep an eye on it.

Last edited:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Agree completely. There has to be a way to safely separate it, destroy it, or "disable" the battery so nothing could happen. If an accident occurred with a postal worker or other civilian, it could reflect very badly on our community. I can't believe they're suggesting people send it back. At least if it's in your possession, you can keep an eye on it.

How to dispose of the Groove, as per Smoktech's advice:
Groove Recall
1)collect defected groove battery and send them to local battery recycling center. Note: I don't recommend sending - drive there if there's one close. or just go to the next option:
2)If there isn’t any recycling center please try to discharge the groove battery until it wont work
3)You can also Soak them into turated brine concentrated saltwater or seawater for over 1 hour
4)Label them by “Failed” “out of use”

I really think vendors should just check order nos. and receipts if people have receipts - and refund.

Last edited:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Definitely. I have a plastic one. Don't know what to do. I've had it a couple months no incident.

Mine is plastic too. I have hardly used it - about two or three times. I'm glad I haven't now. There are two problems with the Groove:

Both the metal and the plastic: The battery does not have protection. If there is a short there is nothing to stop the battery venting.
Also with the metal: If it gets banged or dropped the battery can become loose, and its soft shell gets punctured by the screws.
Actually, battery could become loose just by being shaken or moved around.

In a nutshell, unprotected battery with soft shell cover that may vent.

I'm going to see if there's a battery recycling or battery dispoal place near me. If not - I'll stick it in a metal pan and leave it to completely discharge.

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Mine is plastic too. I have hardly used it - about two or three times. I'm glad I haven't now. There are two problems with the Groove:

Both the metal and the plastic: The battery does not have protection. If there is a short there is nothing to stop the battery venting.
Also with the metal: If it gets banged or dropped the battery can become loose, and its soft shell gets punctured by the screws.
Actually, battery could become loose just by being shaken or moved around.

In a nutshell, unprotected battery with soft shell cover that may vent.

I'm going to see if there's a battery recycling or battery dispoal place near me. If not - I'll stick it in a metal pan and leave it to completely discharge.

Good deal. I just hate being out the money.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Good deal. I just hate being out the money.

Vendors can show Smotech their receipts for shipments - so Smoktech should reimburse them. Likewise we have account histories with vendors showing orders, and our email receipts. I see no reason why we can't get refunds with an email advising the safest way to dispose of the groove - one that doesn't involve mailing it some where.

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Vendors can show Smotech their receipts for shipments - so Smoktech should reimburse them. Likewise we have account histories with vendors showing orders, and our email receipts. I see no reason why we can't get refunds with an email advising the safest way to dispose of the groove - one that doesn't involve mailing it some where.

True. If Eric gives me a credit that would be great. I want to try out those new t3s anyway.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
This is a whole new can of worms.

I see it as a continuation myself. Battery can vent if knocked, or even if not. Don't send battery in post. Get refund based on order no or receipt. Seems simple to me. I think Smoktech and vendors should quite easily be able to do that.

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
I see it as a continuation myself. Battery can vent if knocked, or even if not. Don't send battery in post. Get refund based on order no or receipt. Seems simple to me. I think Smoktech and vendors should quite easily be able to do that.

It's at the discretion of the vendor sadly.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
It's at the discretion of the vendor sadly.

Well I'd like to think vendors would want the safest option. Do we really want a plane with a fire on board because a vendor insisted on having a seriously risky device mailed back? Or an injured postal worker because the package got bounced around a bit ? I hope vendors are getting on to Smoktech and telling them mail back is an unsafe option.

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Well I'd like to think vendors would want the safest option. Do we really want a plane with a fire on board because a vendor insisted on having a seriously risky device mailed back? Or an injured postal worker because the package got bounced around a bit ? I hope vendors are getting on to Smoktech and telling them mail back is an unsafe option.

Good points my friend. I will contact Discount Vapers soon with the concerns. I know he is losing money on this it wasn't his fault the product is faulty. I'll maybe cut the loss and ask for maybe 1/2 credit.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Good points my friend. I will contact Discount Vapers soon with the concerns. I know he is losing money on this it wasn't his fault the product is faulty. I'll maybe cut the loss and ask for maybe 1/2 credit.

I don't think the vendors should lose money because Smoktech are messing them around. The Smoktech site says:
SMOKTECH distributors can choose any MOD in SMOKTECH current product line and we will send the quantity of equal value.
4)SMOKTECH will pay the shipping from factory to warehouse of our distributors.
5)We are attaching instructions on the best way to destroy the groove.
6)We will stop production of Groove since today.
Groove Recall

Frankly - forget the replacement mod. They should refund the vendors money, including shipping.

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Thanks for the info, I'll probably write Eric on the weekend.

I do like my Groove though I have to admit it acts odd at times. Like the ohm meter. It reads different readings on the same atty. That's why I usually just use it in voltage mode. If it's not reading the ohms correctly how can it do VW correctly?

Not sure you COULD send them through US post without lying. I sent a package today and had to go through a 50 questions grilling that boiled down to was there anything hazardous in the package.

Very true, I know that when i ship electronics they question me quite a lot about the battery and if it is out of the device and so forth. I have learned to not seal the package before going to the PO because its easier to let them see that the batteries are separate from the device (especially cell phones/pagers).

Then again all it takes is someone to use the package kiosk in some stations where you just pay a set amount for the mailing box/package you are using and place it in the shoot - the sender may avoid contact with the postal workers but sounds like even well package all it would take is a good toss into a bin in the sorting rooms to have some real problem.

Thinking that way one wonders why this has not already happened with ones being shipped to customers - is the packaging that good?

I guess people have had different experiences about recalled products but the few I have run into usually have given instructions to stop using, and special disposal directions and they ship a new one without wanting to pay the shipping back to them. Of course most of the things I have dealt with have been infant equipment which is not dangerous to ship back - just expensive. I did have an instance where a computer component was recalled and in that case they made it clear they did not want it shipped back by any carrier and gave specific disposal instructions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread