smoktech pyrex dctank, anyone tried it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hm could it be ... that i burnt my cartomizers after just 3 hits ? and now needs a replace?
I only use cartomizers... with that said... I have found two times that I have gotten a burnt taste. Once when I didn't prime the cartomizer thoroughly. I usually prime a full tank of juice and I got impatient and didn't. This caused it to burn and I had to throw away carto and start over. The second time was using too high of a voltage with Johnson Creek Swiss Dark Smoke juice. It is 100% vg and need to vape at about 3.3. I vaped at 3.8 and got burnt taste. That has been my experience... so would say different flavors may need certain volts. Just my experience

A buddy of mine loves the pyrex dct.. You dont have to worry about juice breaking you tank..
Can you ask your buddy if he has any problems keeping the carto secure in the tank? I am using a vision spinner with no cone. It seems to jar open and I lose a tank of juice. Can you ask him what I am doing wrong????

evolv3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Orlando, FL, USA
well... I was hoping everyone was super stoked with these....guess its hit or miss.

I have 6 protanks 5 leaking due to silicone issues. Was looking to move away. No problem with threads yet. But everyone one of is as crooked as a politician and leaking juice too. You should see how crooked some are, ill try to get a pic.

I think the heat of car heats up the silicone and loosens it (in FL).

Was looking at getting some "safe" silicone to "repair" em, haven't finished researching whats safe to "inhale" or use with ejuice yet. Was guessing "food safe" silicone? Anyone have knowledge of this?

ToeJamX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Palm Beach, Fl
The protanks really do look like the perfect solution, until you use them. I picked up two of them, I first one broke before I even got to try it. As I was screwing it onto my battery, I heard a pop, turns out the center piece broke (or was broken already). The second worked pretty well for a few hours, then I got progressively more burnt taste until I threw it out. Sad really, as a bottom coil device really sounds good :(

I don't really like cartomizers that much, as I can pickup the taste of filler, and I just don't like it. What has been working well for me now has been the vivi novas, both the standard polycarbonate which I use for standard flavours, and the Smok pyrex vivi novas for the plastic abusive ones.

CheriePie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
cheriepie.com
well... I was hoping everyone was super stoked with these....guess its hit or miss.

I have 6 protanks 5 leaking due to silicone issues. Was looking to move away. No problem with threads yet. But everyone one of is as crooked as a politician and leaking juice too. You should see how crooked some are, ill try to get a pic.

I think the heat of car heats up the silicone and loosens it (in FL).

Was looking at getting some "safe" silicone to "repair" em, haven't finished researching whats safe to "inhale" or use with ejuice yet. Was guessing "food safe" silicone? Anyone have knowledge of this?

One of my Protanks was super crooked as well but my vendor, Exhale Vapors, was kind enough to swap it out for me. It was ridiculously crooked and I knew there'd be problems with it shortly since trying to screw the base on was just so tight and I was sure the threads would've started stripping very soon, causing leaks.

My suggestion... check your Protanks over thoroughly for these kind of manufacturing defects when you first get them because once you've used them a few times, they're not exchangeable.

I recently picked up one of these Smoktech Pyrex carto tanks though too and plan to give it a test run and load it up with some juice later tonight. I'll report back on my thoughts later...

CheriePie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
cheriepie.com
I recently picked up one of these Smoktech Pyrex carto tanks though too and plan to give it a test run and load it up with some juice later tonight. I'll report back on my thoughts later...

Loving it! Still using the single punched dual-coil carto it came with, but picking up others here and there so I can find my favorite. Waiting for those new nickel mesh (filter-less) SmokTech ones to come back in, they look really interesting and have been received pretty well so far.

But with the included carto and one of my medium thickness liquids, it still hits and wicks quite well. :)

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Can you ask your buddy if he has any problems keeping the carto secure in the tank? I am using a vision spinner with no cone. It seems to jar open and I lose a tank of juice. Can you ask him what I am doing wrong????

Are you using the locking flange cartos that fit the cutout (and snap into) on the bottom of the tank?

Uhlbsorry

Mar 29, 2013
Taunton, MA
Are you using the locking flange cartos that fit the cutout (and snap into) on the bottom of the tank?

I was a huge fan of bottom coil tanks such as evods, protanks, mt3's etc. I am almost using dct's exclusively. They provide that perfect vape. Throat hit, flavor, and you don't have to constantly refill them. Dual coil 1.5 ohm is the way to go. More vapor, flavor and throat hit. Don't waste money on smoktech cartos. They suck! I had to cut two slots in them to get them to wick 60/40 pg juice. If you can fin dual coil boge get them. Not sure if boge makes f16 dual coil. Def use the notched flange. It's makes it easier to unscrew from your 510 connection. They don't necessarily lock in place. Never grab your mod or battery by the tank to pick it up. You will wear juice for sure! Just my 2 cents. Thanks.

Hippieangst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Statesboro, GA
Been reading up on this thread because other folks are definitely having more success than I am with this DCT. So far, I'm not that impressed. I do vape thicker vg juices, and the carto that came with the tank was having some difficulty staying juiced up with the small pre-punched holes, so I got out my carto punch and made it bigger. The wall of the carto got a bit misshapen, and would not fit back into the tank with out some serious force. Okay, lesson learned. Haven't had the problem with other carto-tanks... So, if you punch your own...carefully done, carefully done.

Okay, new cartos came in and am giving it another go around. I find it a bit lacking with vapor and flavor (even after cranking the wattage for the dual coils...). The draw is rather tight for my preference. Bottom line, these have me wanting to go back to my bottom coil tanks. I do have some single coil cartos en route, so maybe that will improve things a bit.

glowplug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2013
Lakewood, CO USA
After I learned the correct way to prime and use the Smok DCT pyrex, I love it. Is it the perfect vape? No. Lots of vapor, decent taste but I would really like something without the filler. I agree with a previous post: I can taste the filler at times. The search continues. I like my Vision Victory bcc 5ml but it is polycarbonate and can crack with some of my juices. The PT2 isn't bad and is an improvement over the PT but still, a bcc will leak/flood when they get low (sometimes only as low as 1/2) on juice. I get tired of that. The DCT does not flood or leak. Too bad there is one with the best of both worlds.

Oh yeah, I want to fill it and forget it for the rest of the day when I am out and about. The DCT comes closest to meeting that requirement.

Margate69

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I use them. Great tank, and it leaks a lot less than many of the other tanks I have tried. DCT = Dual coil tank so it works best on high voltage units. I use a Smoktech WOO that is regulated to fixed 5volts. Blows clouds with a 2.0 ohm Smok DCT.

Edit: To Prime the Cart

Slide the carto a little bit down and fill the inside of the tank from the mouth piece end. Push it back up and make sure you get the notches lined up. Prime the center by slowly filling it, until it begins to drip out the bottom end. You will lose about 4 drops of juice, I know it sucks. Let it wick a couple minutes, and vape away! If you don't properly prime this carto, the vapor production sucks and you will burn the wick...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread