Smoktech SID vs Sigelei Zmax v3: first impressions (w/ pics for 18350 tube)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sa Da Tay

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2011
Austin, Texas
I was perfectly happy with my Zmax until it started malfunctioning at about month 3 (misfires- either just not firing or going straight into menu), so I wanted a relatively cheap stand-in until I (hopefully!) get a VTR.

First off, my general impressions of the Zmax: I loved this thing until it became effectively unusable. In my eyes it's the most elegant, sharpest-looking variable mod out there (I like simplicity). The hefty weight suggests (emphasis here on "suggests") that you are holding a quality-built device that could double as an effective personal defense weapon if the need arises =P. The genuine stainless finish nicely matches most of my tanks and the 18350 telescoped-down size is great for my portable/low-profile preference. But then there's the "unusable after 3 months" thing.

So I got the SID for the general reviews, cost and ability to get an 18350 tube for it (I got the Anyvape which I've posted pics of below). The devices are effectively the same size in their 18350 modes with the zmax being a couple mm's higher and the sid being just a bit wider (but hardly noticeable). The SID feels cheaper- it's extremely light compared to the zmax, the material is a lot thinner and almost feels like plastic and the finish is more matte than the zmax, not matching with my Protank for instance. Also the finish on the sid has these little bubbles in it which look more like a purposeful texturizing thing that I'm not fond of. As I knew already, the chip is virtually the same as the zmax- same menu system etc. In fact it's so similar to the zmax that both arrived with the sunken, tilted screen :glare: Firing up for the first time was flawless

So basically I knew what I was getting with the sid and so far am satisfied. Operationally the sid and zmax seem exactly the same to me (hopefully though the sid will last me a little longer). If I was making this choice again and could be assured that the firing problems with the zmax have been addressed, I wouldn't hesitate spending a bit more on the zmax. But with the same basic chip and funtionality I'm happy I paid less for the sid.

Sorry for the fuzzy pics. As a final note, I knew this was an Anyvape third-party tube with the Anyvape logo on it which is fine. But then they have to go add all these other symbols below the logo which is a minor annoyance, aesthetically-speaking.

sid 1a.jpg sid 2a.jpg

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
18350 is OK for those who never smoked and are just dabbling with nicotine to stay awake or to look cool at a smartphone bar. An 18350 VV or VV/VW will last a serious ex-smoker only a couple of hours.

If you are looking to quit a serious cigarette habit, forget 18350. Look for devices that use 18490/18500 to 18650 batteries. However, for nicotine dabblers the 18350 is a very good choice. ;)

Sa Da Tay

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2011
Austin, Texas
18350 is OK for those who never smoked and are just dabbling with nicotine to stay awake or to look cool at a smartphone bar. An 18350 VV or VV/VW will last a serious ex-smoker only a couple of hours.

Don't know why you posted this here as it wasn't really a question posed? I'm an ex-smoker and while I'm not a 6ml/day vaper, I vape constantly pretty much all day, and yes this involves daily battery change-outs but I do prefer low profile devices -shrugs-. Didn't know that made me a dabbler trying to look cool at a smartphone bar, but good to know. And what is a smartphone bar btw?

EdHarley

Aug 1, 2013
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Don't know why you posted this here as it wasn't really a question posed? I'm an ex-smoker and while I'm not a 6ml/day vaper, I vape constantly pretty much all day, and yes this involves daily battery change-outs but I do prefer low profile devices -shrugs-. Didn't know that made me a dabbler trying to look cool at a smartphone bar, but good to know. And what is a smartphone bar btw?

I don't think I'm a dabbler. I change my 1100mAh eGo batt once a day. I don't currently own a mod and if I did, I would not likely take it to a bar. But then, I don't generally go to bars anymore either.

Anyway, I'll be waiting with you on an answer to the "smartphone bar" definition.:blink:

Jmjax13

Verified Member
Jan 23, 2013
Hastings, MN
I own a Vamo V2....it works but is not pretty. The display is crooked and so is the 510 connection (fine with a carto tank, I just bend it a bit...not fine the an RSST it sits crooked...and I have OCD issues). I also have a SVD and in 18650 mode it is huge. It works good but it's just to large (I have used it for a total of about 1 hour for that reason). I usually use my Sigelei Zmax, but the fire button has become an issue after about 4 months it is getting on my nerves. I also have a Sigelei #20 mech mod...just not a fan of the whole mech gig, so I only use it to pulse my new coils for my RSST. I was thinking about a Provari, but with no VW and the fact the you need to spend another 18 bucks to use an 18650 battery is a turn off. If it came packaged correctly and had VW I would pull the trigger. So I think my next purchase will be a Lavatube V2.5 (I just need to purchase it without my wife finding out...) I do not expect the Lavatube to be perfect, but it has the things I want (VW, 18650, flat top, and 1 year warranty). Now I just have to determine the color I want!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread