SMT's Creamy Vanilla Custard Cupcakes

FW Vanilla Cupcake 3%
FW Creamy Sponge Cake 1.5%
WF Cream Filling 1.5%
INW Custard 0.65%

Optional additions:

FLV Frosting 0.75%
WF Crumble Topping 0.5%

Suggested steep time = 4 weeks. Cream, custard and bakery flavors dictate the steep time. As always, YMMV.

Not much I can say about Flavor West Vanilla Cupcake or Creamy Sponge Cake. Individually they are two of the best bakery flavors we have in DIY. As Tony the Tiger says "They're G-r-r-reat!"

Magic happens when they are combined in a mix. We get the benefits of what each offers in creating a very solid cake or cupcake profile. I also mixed this as FW VC 1.5% and FW CSC 3% for a different tasting bakery profile. Either way it's tasty. FWIW, basically this is a cupcake base or a cake base. I had to choose one for the recipe name.

For this mix I wanted a rich cream with a light custard note. I did not want to use a custard that was eggy.

INW Custard is the perfect choice for mixes where you don't want a noticeable egg note. It adds all the other pleasing custard notes. If someone wanted a full-on custard flavor (with the egg note) then I would recommend using 0.65% - 1% FA Custard Premium.

WF Cream Filling is much like the cream we've all experienced in a cream filled cupcake. WF CF is not overly sweetened. It sits at about the midpoint (0-10 scale). WF CF also adds a light vanilla note. I love the Wonder Flavours creams. IMHO they are right up there with the best creams around.

INW Custard and WF CF also add moistness and mouthfeel.

I mixed four variations of this. The recipe as written and then one I already noted (FW VC and FW CSC ratios).

For the third I used FLV Frosting. IMO it is the best tasting and most accurate frosting around. FLV Frosting tastes just like a frosting we've all experienced on any cake or frosted cupcake. It's very realistic compared to a decent frosting IRL.

For the fourth I added WF Crumble Topping. It tastes much like a very basic streusel topping. If you don't have it, Get It!!! Yes, it's that good. :greengrin:

I vaped plenty as described above "as is" and each was a very pleasing bakery mix.

However......

As a cake or cupcake base nearly any additional flavors will work very nicely. Naturally, this all depends on percentages used. My recommendation: start low and tweak to taste.

A fruit or two, no problem at all. Adding an individual nut flavor will work fine. Or, going with CAP Nut Muffin at 0.75% would add the nut and an additional bakery note.

Adding a chocolate will either give us a chocolate with a light swirl if used lightly - or - if used higher it will turn the base into a chocolate cupcake or cake.

The addition of an ice cream flavor give you, ummm, cake and ice cream!!!

Please note:

You may have seen that I added links to Bull City Flavors for all the flavors mentioned in this post. I did so because BCF is basically a one-stop-shop for DIY flavors.

BCF has a vast selection of flavors. Most folks on ECF, VU, ELR, ATF and other places purchase flavors from BCF. They are an excellent company and they ship quick.

ECF has an ongoing 6% discount code at BCF. Use code ---> ECF6

They offer free domestic shipping on orders $49.99 and up. Use code ---> FREESHIP

Domestic orders over $74.99 ship free, no code needed.

Subscribe to the BCF newsletter for updates on new products and sales.

BCF routinely offers sales with 10%-20% off with no minimum purchase amount on most US holidays. Those usually run over the course of a few days.

I do not work for nor am I associated with BCF. I am merely trying to help my fellow DIYers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread