Sniffed my first snuff today

Status
Not open for further replies.

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
And all I can say is WOW! How is it that I've tried every other form of tobacco and never tried this before now?!

I ordered a bunch of stuff from Mr. Snuff, and have only tried the Toque "Spanish Gem" so far. That stuff is heavenly - so much so that I haven't been tempted to crack open anything else yet! Only reason I tried it first is because I ordered a mini-bullet of it and it came in a little ziplock bag that made it apparent that there was snuff leaking out. It seems that no matter what position the little lever is in, snuff can still come out of it. It's a shame, because I was hoping to use it to refill and carry since it's the perfect size.

The other snuff I ordered and have yet to try:

-Wow Coffee Bite (got 25g based on reviews and how delicious it sounds)
-Dholakia Swiss Chocolate (same as above)
-Wilsons of Sharrow Crumbs of Comfort
-Wilsons of Sharrow Vanilla
-Wilsons of Sharrow Extra Menthol
-QWS Smokers Blend
-QWS Irish Coffee
-QWS Ice Cool
-QWS Sandalwood (just one bullet of this to try, doesn't sound too great)
-and a free little packet of Dholakia Lajawab (lime and menthol?? sounds a little iffy)

Once I get tired of (or likely, run out of) the Spanish Gem, I guess I'll move on to the others. If I like any of them better than the Spanish Gem, than I am officially in love with snuff - icky boogers be damned!

Last edited:

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
And all I can say is WOW! How is it that I've tried every other form of tobacco and never tried this before now?!

I ordered a bunch of stuff from Mr. Snuff, and have only tried the Toque "Spanish Gem" so far. That stuff is heavenly - so much so that I haven't been tempted to crack open anything else yet! Only reason I tried it first is because I ordered a mini-bullet of it and it came in a little ziplock bag that made it apparent that there was snuff leaking out. It seems that no matter what position the little lever is in, snuff can still come out of it. It's a shame, because I was hoping to use it to refill and carry since it's the perfect size...

Hail voltaire! Well met sir and have another pinch!
Exposure primarily from literature, I've been "aware" of snuff for years. Like you, never thought of actually using it myself until Tropical Bob caught my attention here. On an e-cig forum of all places! :)

You are one of the fortunate ones in my opinion! I've tried about a 3rd of the Toque line and am really un-impressed with their product. But. That Spanish Gem is exactly as you describe, heavenly and then some! Helluva a first snuff to start out with.

Good luck with those bullets. IMO they are a total waste of effort, all around simpler and cheaper to pinch or spoon.

Now, if you actually use up that Gem before you try out the other snuff you recieved.... well, you've a lot more restraint then I!! :lol:

Enjoy, I know you will! :D

W Axl Rose

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Iowa
Can someone describe the spanish gem please? I just place an order and my method was pretty much to look at everything and click 'add to cart' on the interesting ones. There are SO many to choose from and I don't know what I am doing. I couldn't find strengths of ANYTHING, so can someone also tell me if I'm going to be knocked on my .... or anything?

Skrymr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2009
Can someone describe the spanish gem please? I just place an order and my method was pretty much to look at everything and click 'add to cart' on the interesting ones. There are SO many to choose from and I don't know what I am doing. I couldn't find strengths of ANYTHING, so can someone also tell me if I'm going to be knocked on my .... or anything?

Can you list what you ordered? It could help us to make suggestions about what will what might knock you on you're ..... :D

Skrymr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2009
Voltaire, congrats on the snuff purchase. I'm glad you got a winner right out of the box.

From you're description, the QWS snuff bullets a better than the toque. The bottle screws off the bottom for easy refilling, and mine hasn't leaked at all. When mine is empty, I'm gonna keep using it for on the go, but OTD is right about a pinch or a spoon being easier. I just use a key since I always have some on me.

The QWS sandal wood is a bit perfumey, but not cloyingly so. More of a nice garden scent to me. Reminds me of grandma's house.

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
Hail voltaire! Well met sir and have another pinch!
Why thank you, don't mind if I do! <sniff>

Good luck with those bullets. IMO they are a total waste of effort, all around simpler and cheaper to pinch or spoon.
Is it like a snuffers faux pas to use bullets? Or is it that they all leak somewhat? Seems like an awfully handy and compact way to carry it around on the go. I've got some of the QWS bullets, but they're rather big, and not quite as sturdy and durable looking. Hmmm, guess I'll go unwrap one to check it out and see if it leaks too. (pause) Ok, I opened the QWS Sandlewood bullet - the one I suspected I wouldn't like. <tiny sniff> Suspicion confirmed. It smells like perfume in general and a certain female in particular - one I hoped to never smell again. I'm gonna dump this snuff just like I did her. (at .99 cents, at least it was a hell of a lot cheaper) So, the good news is that this one doesn't always leak like the Toque bullet does, the bad news is that it doesn't really function well (breather hole too narrow?), it's pretty flimsy and the little pivot arm pulls right out with relative ease - no way this thing is going to hold up in my pocket while on the go.

Ok, I'm starting to see your point about bullets... But how about the metal ones, do they leak or come apart? I didn't order any because I was getting some plastic ones to try and I wasn't sure I was even going to like snuff. I see that Mr. Snuff sells 'em on ebay with free shipping (2 for $12, a pretty good deal) - anyone got any experience with these? I dig the whole bullet concept - I've never been too much of a traditionalist. But that is if they work well, and so far I'm 0/2 with the plastic ones.

Now, if you actually use up that Gem before you try out the other snuff you recieved.... well, you've a lot more restraint then I!! :lol:
Well, now that I'm wishing that I hadn't tried even that tiny sniff of the Sandlewood, it makes going back to and staying with my tried and true Spanish Gem all that much easier! <sniff, sniff> Ahhhh... I just don't seem to want or need anything else yet, but my curiosity probably will kick in before the bullet is done. When it does, I'll come back here to give a noobie perspective of each one.

Current tally:

Toque Spanish Gem - :)

QWS Sandlewood -
vomit-smiley-27.gif

Last edited:

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
Can someone describe the spanish gem please?
Sorry, I don't have much to compare it to. (Except, HEY it's much better than the QWS Sandlewood!) I think part of the appeal to me is that it doesn't smell like anything familiar, so I can't even begin to describe it.

The QWS sandal wood is a bit perfumey, but not cloyingly so. More of a nice garden scent to me. Reminds me of grandma's house.
Funny how the brain works with associations. Maybe if it had reminded me of someone I liked it would have been my new favorite!

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW

This is from my blog on snuff I've used axel:

"Toque Spanish Gem

Nice initial burn along with a... warm oiled leather?
Think freshly worked saddle soap or old book store perhaps, but think also the comforting aspects of that smell. Not a negative at all.

Within a minute or two the real fun with this snuff begins.
Is it chocolate or honey that's soon followed by a lemon or possibly orange type of fruit, citrus aroma? So far for me I usually get the chocolate 1st followed by a citrus of some sort. But not always. Most of the reviews I've seen on this one mirror my experience. The Spanish Gem has, for me, the four primary notes of chocolate, honey, orange and lemon with the faint undertone of tobacco. The order in which the smells present themselves seems to change from one pinch to the next.
"

@voltaire
As for the bullets, it's just my opinion that they aren't worth bothering with.
Lot of folks love em'!!! No faux pas I'm aware in any aspect regarding snuff use.

Whatever works!:D

slybootz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Chicago
www.jimmyk.rocks
i wasn't sure where to post this, but i figure this thread will do nicely.

for anyone new to snuff, i DEFINITELY recommend investing in a few handkerchiefs! I do quite a bit of nose-blowing these days(especially when using a menthol snuff and shoveling snow...). I have a few dark cotton hankies, but I need to invest in a couple of silk ones(easier on the nose). Darker color is usually better than lighter color, since no one loves to look at a white hankie filled with brown snot! LOL

slybootz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Chicago
www.jimmyk.rocks
oh, and not only is it classier to use a cloth hankie, it also is much more environmentally 'green'!

here's an old video from Greenpeace about Kleenex wiping out ancient forests:
YouTube - What's in your box of Kleenex?

while recently Kleenex brand has changed it's policy and is now involved in protecting our worlds forests, it is still a good idea to use a reusable handkerchief, both to cut tissue costs, as well as to help the environment!

just my $0.02 on keeping your snuff hobby/habit more cost effective as well as environmentally healthy! :D

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Your first purchase after a tin of snuff should be a dark paisley hankerchief, like the cowboys wrapped around their necks. Get a bunch.

I'm a fan of bullets. I did all the other stuff -- pinch out of tin, back of hand, tiny spoon -- and settled on the bullet. Yes, they leak. I always carry two, and have to brush out my right front pants pocket at the end of the day. Bullets make up for their faults by their sheer convenience. I use them everywhere I go, including after meals in restaurants.

Your order looks good. Funny, but you began with what many veteran snuffers consider the best one, Spanish Gem.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I also meant to comment on the hilarious reference to not liking Quit with Sandalwood. I had the opposite experience. When I first sniffed Dean Swift's Inchkenneth (a mixture of sandalwood and musk), it sent shock waves of a college girlfriend through my brain. Her perfume. It intoxicated me back then; still does.

So I LOVED the stuff! Still repeat order it. I also have Quit with Sandalwood and like it. Very perfumey, as you said, but pleasant. The ones that I push away are anything floral like roses. I've tried a few that reminded me of attending funerals. No thanks.

Dean Swift's Inchkenneth also reminds me a bit of the signature cologne I used back in college, Karl Lagerfeld. Incredible stuff that must have contained pheremones since women flocked to it and wanted to lick it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread