Snus and China Customs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicko

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2010
China
This is not a good day for me! China customs have apparently never seen Snus. My first ever order arrived in China a few days ago, but customs won't let me have it until they "test" it. They probably suspect it's something else.

I did a little research before ordering and at least one other westerner has been successful importing this to China. He had to wait three months for customs to decide what it was. But that was years ago, so I figured by now they would let it through.

Not a good day at all. And this is on top of my Stonewalls and new mod simply getting lost in the mail.

vocr

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2011
Manila, RP
If China customs has flagged it, don't hold your breath. I assume you are a foreigner in China working for some western company? If so, check if your company has a shipping broker and if they will allow you to use them to help you. Hopefully they are a big one and call them, tell them your situation. My broker in China gets my crap stuck in customs out fast. Have you learned the phrase 关系 yet? This is what is needed when dealing with customs. However, I've never had an issue with customs not knowing what something is but problems with taxes and similar bureaucracy. Good luck.

vocr

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2011
Manila, RP
If you are going to seek out a broker on your own, find out what customs office your package is stuck in. Then the first question you need to ask a prospective brokerage is have they ever extricated a small package from that office, then if so, how many times. The key here is if they have a relationship with someone high enough in the bureaucracy to make retrieval routine.

Be careful, like everywhere in China, there are many shady businesses in this field. If the price they are asking seems high, but you feel its worth the cost, do a 30-70. 30% up front and 70% upon retrieval of the package. If they are not a big national firm, everything is negotiable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread