Snus Recommendations???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debbie

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
South Jersey
I just got my sample of Snus and tried them. They're not very strong. So far I've tried the General White Portion. They don't taste too bad. They just don't seem to do much for me.

I vape 36 mg and smoked 2 1/2 packs a day of Marlboro. Does anyone have any recommendations of some higher mg, decent tasting snus that I can purchase that would give a more decent hit of nicotine? What should I be looking for, any certain type?

One other question: Do these stain teeth?

Debbie

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
Hi Debbie :). White portions release their nic a little slower due to the lower moisture content, drinking something to get 'em wetter helps speed things up a bit, though. There's also the General Original portions that has the same taste, but with a higher moisture content for faster release. If you wanna try a higher nic portion, General Ekstra Sterk is still the same flavor, but @ 15mg nic. Do you have any others that you've tried and did or didn't like? I hesitate to give any recommendations without having an idea of what you might like :).

Debbie

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
South Jersey
No, I haven't tried any others yet. I just got the sampler and had only tried the one packet thus far. I would assume they're all about the same strength in the sampler, no? (The sampler packages don't five any info on strength.)

I can tell you that so far as vaping, I prefer a variety of eflavors rather than tobacco flavors. And when smoking, I was a Marlboro'r for 42+ years.

I'm really looking for a recommendation of something with more kick that doesn't taste god-awful that I can get more of a hit off of than these samples are giving me. The hit with these is so low, why would anyone bother? :(

Debbie

Kismayaz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Central FL
The nic in snus isn't supposed to be a "hit" like smoking a cigarette or tooting a snuff. It's more like the patch... but in the mouth, with flavor, and you can't forget those lovely tobacco alkaloids. Snus just helps maintain your nicotine levels throughout the duration of the portion. I keep mine in for almost 2 hours. The one you tried is 8mg, the rest in the sample pack will be the same except for the mini mint, which is only 4mg. If you want a higher nic level, personally I enjoy the lab02, general onyx, and thunder strong. pick any of those if you want more of a "hit" just be careful not to get sick ok :)

Edit to answer: The original portion doesn't have any more nic than the white portion, it just releases the nic into your bloodstream faster and doesn't last as long as the white. And yes, both are considered a "regular" portion.

Last edited:

Skrymr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2009
So the General brand 'regular portions' has double the nic?

One of the packets says 'original portion.' Would that be a 'regular portion'?

Debbie

The original portions has the same nic as white portions, and are what we are calling regular portions. They are just moist, and deliver the nic a little faster. If you have a sterk or ekstra sterk, those are higher nic, as well as General Onyx.

Basicly anything ES is going to be your friend, I was smoking 2-3 packs of camel 99s a day.. I vape but it is not always what is needed, I still smoke a few regular smokes a day to assist with the morning glory or when I feel the absolute need. More often times it is to just get a quick moment to myself outside at work.

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
I'd hate to steer anyone to something too strong at the start, but.......Thunder Frosted.....there, I said it. Thunder Frosted is a nice light spearmint flavor and has 16mgs of wonder goodness. An all time favorite for me, but it is potent if you wanna try some. Not for your average bear, but then neither is Dred...or me, and I'm not bare, just sittin' here in my underwear......oh I gotta go to bed.......

jongleur

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2009
Southern CA
Hi Debbie :). White portions release their nic a little slower due to the lower moisture content, drinking something to get 'em wetter helps speed things up a bit, though. There's also the General Original portions that has the same taste, but with a higher moisture content for faster release. If you wanna try a higher nic portion, General Ekstra Sterk is still the same flavor, but @ 15mg nic. Do you have any others that you've tried and did or didn't like? I hesitate to give any recommendations without having an idea of what you might like :).

General Ekstra Sterk is my favorite snus now, although I do only one (or at most, two) a day. I find that although it has a modicum of General's "One Taste", those trademark notes of pepper and citrus/bergamot are less in the forefront with General Ekstra Sterk than with General Original or General White. More of the tobacco flavor comes through for me (which I personally like).

Also, just to split a hair: even though General Ekstra Sterk is listed at getsnus.com and elsewhere at 15 mg per portion, I think they are really more like a little over 16 mg per portion (15 mg per gram divided by 22 portions in a 22 portion can -- there are only 22 portions per 24 gram can, unlike most, which are 24 portions per 24 gram can). In a thread on another forum, this calculation was responded to and yet not disputed by representatives from Swedish Match.

However, since Debbie, the OP, has mentioned preferring a "variety of eflavors rather than tobacco flavors" in addition to a quest for more nic, most of this post is pretty much moot to her. ;) So I'm in agreement with the suggestion by others that a Thunder Berry or Thunder Frosted might be the right ones to start out with.

Debbie: Keep in mind though, that one snus portion might not be a good enough test of the average nicotine per portion of that brand. I'm sure that not every portion is measured at manufacturing. Once in awhile, I get an 8 mg that seems to hit harder than the other portions from the same can did -- and the other way around, too. I'm not a fan of chasing a nic buzz; I just look to get something good going over the long haul, and I have so far found that the nic ratings work well on average. If you've tried several from the same can, and don't get what you're looking for, that's a sign that a higher nic is indicated. Take heart! I bet the right ones for you are out there!

P.S. I just noticed that my spellchecker doesn't like the word "snus" and suggests "anus" as a replacement. I taught it better. Otherwise, this post would read a lot different. [snicker]

--John

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
Well I hadn't noticed that Jon. Food for thought. It makes sense with having 22 portions, which I didn't also know. I'm not really a General fan...bergamot :p. I don't mind it as much as I used to and occasionally (rarely) go for a General in hopes of someday getting through it, but thankfully I have nummier anus I like better. But, in reality, bad anus is better than no anus :).

Hey...is my spellcheck workin' :confused::confused:?

Brewster 59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2009
North Bay San Francisco
General Ekstra Sterk is my favorite snus now, although I do only one (or at most, two) a day. I find that although it has a modicum of General's "One Taste", those trademark notes of pepper and citrus/bergamot are less in the forefront with General Ekstra Sterk than with General Original or General White. More of the tobacco flavor comes through for me (which I personally like).

Also, just to split a hair: even though General Ekstra Sterk is listed at getsnus.com and elsewhere at 15 mg per portion, I think they are really more like a little over 16 mg per portion (15 mg per gram divided by 22 portions in a 22 portion can -- there are only 22 portions per 24 gram can, unlike most, which are 24 portions per 24 gram can). In a thread on another forum, this calculation was responded to and yet not disputed by representatives from Swedish Match.

However, since Debbie, the OP, has mentioned preferring a "variety of eflavors rather than tobacco flavors" in addition to a quest for more nic, most of this post is pretty much moot to her. ;) So I'm in agreement with the suggestion by others that a Thunder Berry or Thunder Frosted might be the right ones to start out with.

Debbie: Keep in mind though, that one snus portion might not be a good enough test of the average nicotine per portion of that brand. I'm sure that not every portion is measured at manufacturing. Once in awhile, I get an 8 mg that seems to hit harder than the other portions from the same can did -- and the other way around, too. I'm not a fan of chasing a nic buzz; I just look to get something good going over the long haul, and I have so far found that the nic ratings work well on average. If you've tried several from the same can, and don't get what you're looking for, that's a sign that a higher nic is indicated. Take heart! I bet the right ones for you are out there!

P.S. I just noticed that my spellchecker doesn't like the word "snus" and suggests "anus" as a replacement. I taught it better. Otherwise, this post would read a lot different. [snicker]

--John

:lol::lol::lol: Thats funny. I like using anus

Debby, Thunder is the God of snus IMO and if your a flavored fan frosted is probably the way to go. As mentioned before snus does not have an instant kick but rather a very deep, satisfying feeling of a lack of urges and for me that well being and satisfying feeling I dont get with an ecig. Now if your looking a nic rush try snuff that feels like smoking 5 cigs in a row.

Kitabz

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2009
UK
I can tell you that so far as vaping, I prefer a variety of eflavors rather than tobacco flavors. And when smoking, I was a Marlboro'r for 42+ years.

I'm really looking for a recommendation of something with more kick that doesn't taste god-awful that I can get more of a hit off of than these samples are giving me. The hit with these is so low, why would anyone bother? :(

Debbie

If kick - in the cigarette sense - is what you're looking for then one of the purified snus might be your thing (see here). They deliver the nicotine very quickly, faster even than the strongest regular types (but still several minutes to peak intensity).

They also come in non-tobacco flavours (in fact there aren't any that do come in tobacco flavours) so if you're looking for something that doesn't taste like regular snus, these ones might be good all round.

As has been mentioned above, snus is never going to deliver a hit like a cigarette does, even the purified ones. If nasal snuff is the smokeless equivalent of cigarettes in terms of "hit" then snus is more like a pipe or cigar equivalent - pleasant satisfaction over a long time.

Mohave

ECF Veteran
...just don't seem to do much for me...

...smoked 2 1/2 packs a day of Marlboro...

...recommendations of some higher mg...

...give a more decent hit of nicotine?
From your post it sounds like I might have very similar tastes, smoking history (long and heavy), and nicotine tolerance (very high), and my current top most frequently used snus are (ranked in order & with links to Northerner's product reveiws & descriptions):
1. Thunder Extra Stark (I use regular portions & not the frosted or mint or berry flavored)
2. Claq Qui
Unfortunately Claq Qui is being discontinued. I'd also suggest trying the new Skruf Extra Stark, though I personally don't care for the bergamont taste in Skruf products. You could also give a can of General Onyx a try for an exotic sort of flavor with almost similar strength; it has another flavor that I personally don't care for, except for a change of pace once in a great while, but some people do love it.

I agree with others that the so called "purified" portions are something you may want to try. They are quite a bit different than the more conventional snus above, and they don't need refridgeration as well as providing a good amount of nicotine: Oomph Citrus & Menthol, (6mg), Snus

GregH

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Georgia USA
I've recently added snus to my arsenal for times I can't vape (such as in all-day meetings or an upcoming transatlantic flight). I've used it only a few times so far and really like it. I'm lucky to have found a local smoke shop that stocks General. So I'm using the Wintergreen.

Now to my question, which the OP asked but I didn't see answered. It's concerning teeth stains.

Since I stopped smoking and switched to vaping 2 years ago (next week is my anniversary), my dental cleanings have been increasingly easy. The last time I was there, I was in the chair for no more than 15 minutes. (This is in contrast to the hour-plus torture sessions visits I had when I smoked.) So am I setting myself up for more pain from the dentist if I continue to use snus?

I did a search here and on the 'Net and got mixed answers. Some places say yes, it will stain like cigarettes. Others say the color brushes/rinses off. So which is it, ECFers?

Thanks.

Last edited:

GregH

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Georgia USA
Greg, don't really know the answer. I can say that after 16 months, I don't notice any difference negatively and my dental hygienist hasn't mentioned anything negative.

Thanks. That's helpful and encouraging. :)

I would think your hygienist would know over anyone else if it was doing anything negative, especially after 16 months of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread