So confused, help! ordering in a hour or two. MODS and RBA, whats a mesh for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HybridCypher

Oct 23, 2013
NYC
I am currently putting together a order for a budget Mod with a RBA. I am trying to get my RBA skills down to a art. As someone with a engineer and cs degree, I feel as if I am making this a lot harder than what it needs to be.

Here are my questions.
1- What is a mesh for? I see its right next to the wick and coils.
2- How do I know the voltage coming from a Mechanical Mod? Im going to be using a Nemesis Clone with a 18650 battery.
3- What kind of wick do I need for a RBA? Do they all use the same size?
4- coils I understand, but just to make sure,

As of right now, these are the items that are in my shopping cart. I am trying to keep everything in one order, so im only ordering from fasttech.

Battery- Nemesis Mechanical Mod $29.08 Nemesis Mod / E-Cigarette Battery Compartment - stainless steel / with telescopic pin at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
I am still between a Mechanical and VV. $45.65 Vamo V3 7-in-1 Variable Voltage E-Cigarettes Set with OLED Screen - 2*18350 / chromed brass / US plug charger / EU plug adapter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Does anyone know anything about the resistance tester on the V3? Because that will save me 10 bucks on getting a separate one.

Atomizer- Trident $16.35 Trident Stainless Steel Rebuildable Atomizer at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Wicks and Coil- Would these be fine if I didnt want to build my own? $2.79 Replacement Wicks and Wires for Rebuildable Atomizer (10-Pack) 10-pack - 1.8ohm / multi wicks at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
If I do want to build my own, what kind of wick would I want? Does the size depend on the atomizer?

Please, any suggestions in the next 30min- 1hour is appreciated.

Would you go with the Nemesis mechanical or with a VV V3?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
My responses are in bold in your quote block.

I am currently putting together a order for a budget Mod with a RBA. I am trying to get my RBA skills down to a art. As someone with a engineer and cs degree, I feel as if I am making this a lot harder than what it needs to be.

Here are my questions.
1- What is a mesh for? I see its right next to the wick and coils.
SS mesh is used to make wicks.

2- How do I know the voltage coming from a Mechanical Mod? Im going to be using a Nemesis Clone with a 18650 battery.
You measure it with a Digital Multi Meter.

3- What kind of wick do I need for a RBA? Do they all use the same size?
I use SS mesh. I prefer 500 rather than 400 because it wicks faster.

4- Coils I understand, but just to make sure,

As of right now, these are the items that are in my shopping cart. I am trying to keep everything in one order, so im only ordering from fasttech.

Battery- Nemesis Mechanical Mod $29.08 Nemesis Mod / E-Cigarette Battery Compartment - stainless steel / with telescopic pin at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
Looks like a good mech mod.

I am still between a Mechanical and VV. $45.65 Vamo V3 7-in-1 Variable Voltage E-Cigarettes Set with OLED Screen - 2*18350 / chromed brass / US plug charger / EU plug adapter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
Nothing wrong with the Vamo. It's cheap, but many people like them and if it breaks you haven't lost much.

Does anyone know anything about the resistance tester on the V3? Because that will save me 10 bucks on getting a separate one.
I don't. I do recommend you get a DMM if you're going to be using mech mods.

Atomizer- Trident $16.35 Trident Stainless Steel Rebuildable Atomizer at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
I'm waiting for mine with baited breath right now ;)

Wicks and Coil- Would these be fine if I didnt want to build my own? $2.79 Replacement Wicks and Wires for Rebuildable Atomizer (10-Pack) 10-pack - 1.8ohm / multi wicks at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
If I do want to build my own, what kind of wick would I want? Does the size depend on the atomizer?
I've heard people say these are not good. I believe them. Easy to make your own.

Please, any suggestions in the next 30min- 1hour is appreciated.

Would you go with the Nemesis mechanical or with a VV V3?

You don't need SS mesh for the Trident. I suggest you use micro coils with cotton wicks.

If you go with a mech mod, you need to learn about the safety aspects. Battery needs to be IMR li-ion and you must not draw moew current than the battery is rated for.

HybridCypher

Oct 23, 2013
NYC
This is what I currently have in my shopping cart, if there is no problem, im clikcing order. Trident, Silver Trident Stainless Steel Rebuildable Atomizer
Trident, Silver
SKU 1418702: Ships in 7 business days $16.35 $16.35 Remove
V3 E-Cig, 6-in-1, Silver, Stainless Steel: US Plug Vamo V3 6-in-1 Variable Voltage E-Cigarettes Set with OLED Screen
V3 E-Cig, 6-in-1, Silver, Stainless Steel: US Plug
SKU 1395002: Ships in 3 business days $50.19 $50.19 Remove
Wick + Wire: 50-Pack(Multi Wicks) Replacement Wicks and Wires for Rebuildable Atomizer (50-Pack)
Wick + Wire: 50-Pack(Multi Wicks)
SKU 1475303: In stock $9.59
50-pack $9.59 Remove
3.5ml, Black Plastic Mouth Cobra RBA Rebuildable Atomizer
3.5ml, Black Plastic Mouth
SKU 1330501: In stock $8.52 $8.52 Remove

Shipping:

Total:

Estimated Shipping Date:
FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING

$84.65

vicflo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 25, 2009
Virginia
looks good. as a fellow engineer (EE) most of the electronics is 1st semester basics and doesnt go beyond that unless you start digging into the ICs in the VV/VW devices... which are also off the shelf reprogrammable ones. premade wire/wicks are good but you still have to fine tune them. you can get wire fairly cheap in bulk on amazon when and if you start getting into it and get the cotton wick locally from any pharmacy type store or beauty salon supply.

I would have personally thrown the nemesis or even a k100 in there just to have a mech mod to mess with. im assuming you are getting your batteries and charger elsewhere? unless you happen to already have some.

HybridCypher

Oct 23, 2013
NYC
looks good. as a fellow engineer (EE) most of the electronics is 1st semester basics and doesnt go beyond that unless you start digging into the ICs in the VV/VW devices... which are also off the shelf reprogrammable ones. premade wire/wicks are good but you still have to fine tune them. you can get wire fairly cheap in bulk on amazon when and if you start getting into it and get the cotton wick locally from any pharmacy type store or beauty salon supply.

I would have personally thrown the nemesis or even a k100 in there just to have a mech mod to mess with. im assuming you are getting your batteries and charger elsewhere? unless you happen to already have some.

This is really good advice man, I appreciate it. I order the Vamo V3, just because it was more sensible imo than a mechanical Mod. It has a built in ohm reader which saves me 15 dollars from buying a new one. It comes with 2 18350 batteries and a charger so Im pretty well set, but I am gonna order a 18650 battery from amazon soon.

I was honestly thinking about just balling out and getting both the V3 and a Nemesis, but I rather spend that money and get a RBA and RDA(which I did). I got a trident RDA, which Ive seen get some amazing reviews, and went for a genesis RBA cobra 3ml tank. Then went ahead and bought a 50 pack of wick and coil so I dont have to build them myself(1.8ohm).

Hopefully its gonna arrive soon! I just ordered it. See you guys in a couple weeks, Im sure Im gonna have more questions.

ShariR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Welcome to ECF. Good for you. A vamo is a popular option for a lot of people. The built in ohm meter will come in handy when you start rebuilding those coils. I would spend your time waiting for delivery in the forums for the devices you have chosen and watching youtube videos on same.

Have fun. Since you have been vaping for some time you should be up and running in no time.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Went from a ego to a Volcano Inferno. Currently using the inferno. Honestly, I love it, but its time to step it up. Ive been using my Inferno for almost 2 years now(I have 4!).

Thanks, I was just curious. Have fun with all of your new TOYS!!!!!! :)

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Well, maybe it's too late to change anything at this point. But the Vamo in stainless is a better way to go I think. The chrome does wear off through use which gives the mod a two tone look. Also, the kit you ordered doesn't have a very good battery charger. This is the kit I recommend on the Vamo 3, I have three of them, and they are widely used in the family:

$58.85 Vamo V3 3-in-1 Variable Voltage Mod / E-Cigarette Battery Compartment Kit - stainless steel / Nitecore I2 US battery charger at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

The Trident is a very nice dual coil or single coil RDA, nice platform and very easy to rebuild. Haven't used the FT "ready wires" yet, so don't know how they'll work for you, please let us know.

Instead of the Cobra, try the RSST. Certainly most would agree that it is the best entry level RBA, very easy to recoil with mesh or combo coils/mesh/sleeves, etc. My first RBA and what allowed me to fearlessly jump into other RBA's. The Genny, though, is a great place to start.

Good luck on your order. I have 14 great FT deliveries. Now waiting for over a month on the 15th, so broke my chain of great deliveries, and this one I can't track for some reason. Best to you!

iGl0

Oct 17, 2013
CA, USA
Sorry I am a bit confused. Although it may have been too late. Seems like you were into rebuilding an RDA, which would be more ideal to go with a mech mod. Reason is that with a mech mod you would be able to rebuild and sub-ohm if you wanted to (given that you read ALL safety measures before attempting). A vamo won't allow you to do that. Also the pre-made silica wrapped coils limits you from rebuilding to your specific preference.

Anyway I may have got it wrong, and maybe you didn't really want to rebuild, but more or less replace the coils.

In any case the set-up you have purchased seems like a good one to me none the less. Vamo's are definitely popular and easy to use. I own a trident clone myself, just becareful with the middle screw, use a big enough screw to get enough torque, mine broke using a little one :facepalm:

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Yeah, he's replacing the coils and not building to preference, though the two ready wires available will allow for the proper non-sub Ohm use with a double or single coil depending on which resistance he chose. I don't remember what resistance he chose. I don't use the ready wire much unless I know everything about the build quality of all the materials. China has been known to cut corners on their materials, so you end up with silica and nichrome, sometimes. Not my favorite, but not uncommon either from China. All may be moot has he has already ordered.

HybridCypher

Oct 23, 2013
NYC
Sorry I am a bit confused. Although it may have been too late. Seems like you were into rebuilding an RDA, which would be more ideal to go with a mech mod. Reason is that with a mech mod you would be able to rebuild and sub-ohm if you wanted to (given that you read ALL safety measures before attempting). A vamo won't allow you to do that. Also the pre-made silica wrapped coils limits you from rebuilding to your specific preference.

Anyway I may have got it wrong, and maybe you didn't really want to rebuild, but more or less replace the coils.

In any case the set-up you have purchased seems like a good one to me none the less. Vamo's are definitely popular and easy to use. I own a trident clone myself, just becareful with the middle screw, use a big enough screw to get enough torque, mine broke using a little one
thanks man, I am still very much into building my own RBA, I ordered some pre made so I can use them right off the bat, while I slowly master the art lol.

I still do want a mechanical, but I decided that since I am already getting a hybrid mechanical(I forgot that I only mention that in my first thread), that I could settle for a cheaper VV mod for now. The ohms reader + batteries really sold me, it would save me 15 dollars just using it for that purpose. I am getting a 18650 soon, but its nice to have extra batteries.
This should do the trick until the Vicious Ant Valkyrie comes back.

Last edited:

HybridCypher

Oct 23, 2013
NYC
Yeah, he's replacing the coils and not building to preference, though the two ready wires available will allow for the proper non-sub Ohm use with a double or single coil depending on which resistance he chose. I don't remember what resistance he chose. I don't use the ready wire much unless I know everything about the build quality of all the materials. China has been known to cut corners on their materials, so you end up with silica and nichrome, sometimes. Not my favorite, but not uncommon either from China. All may be moot has he has already ordered.
I went with 1.8ohm resistance, Im not sure if they cut corners or what not, but Ill definitely let you know when I try them.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
thanks man, I am still very much into building my own RBA, I ordered some pre made so I can use them right off the bat, while I slowly master the art lol.

I still do want a mechanical, but I decided that since I am already getting a hybrid mechanical(I forgot that I only mention that in my first thread), that I could settle for a cheaper VV mod for now. The ohms reader + batteries really sold me, it would save me 15 dollars just using it for that purpose. I am getting a 18650 soon, but its nice to have extra batteries.

I hate to tell you this but the battery charger that comes with the kit you ordered is NOT GOOD. The Nitecore I2 from FT is the better choice. My battery charger, like the one you ordered, melted. I was new and didn't understand that the charger and batteries are more important that the APV, not an inexpensive accessory. So, you're still going to have to get a good charger TO BE SAFE. Also, never leave batteries unattended, or charge them overnight. Do use a charging bag, like the ones at RTD Vapor.

Also, the IDEA of rebuilding a coil is much more daunting, than actually building a coil. Wrapping wire a few times around a wick is truly child's play.....literally, a child could do it. What's more important is battery safety, an Ohm meter, and the right battery and charger. I was so nervous when I build my first coil, that it was done after about 30 seconds, and worked perfectly, and hit the resistance I was aiming for, and I remember thinking that I was sweating "THIS" and spent hours watching videos to wrap a wire four times around a wick. I spent way too much money "getting ready" to build the coil too. I had mechanical arms and third hand rigs, magnifiers, blow torches, digital micrometers, etc., all for a little coil that takes only a few seconds to wrap. It's much easier than we make it seem, and much easier than the videos make it seem. Good luck to you!!

Last edited:

mackman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
NorCal

Even though you have pulled pulled the i trigger I would offer these suggestions. Forget about the wick and coils from FastTech they are junk and even though they are rated at whatever ohms they are all over the place. The so called silica they use will make your juice taste like S^%*. I agree that it you want to get into rebuildable gennie type attys get a RSST they are easy to build and a great unit (AC9 clone) I use 2 in the rotation.
Watch you tube videos on wick and coil building it is not difficult but like anything else takes practice. If you are getting a mechanical mod from FastTech dump their batteries they are highly likely to be unsafe and get some AW high drain batteries (RTD Vapor).
Read these links from Baditude, being an engineer the info should immediately click.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/4848-9-battery-basics-mods-imr-protected.html
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...4-7-information-resources-your-first-rba.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread