So here's the problem with the media and America.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AveryW

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
KY, USA
I'm on Facebook today and my girlfriends sister shared one of the many local news articles that are spawned off of that NYT article from a few weeks ago. I commented on the post explaining why and how they twisted things around, explained to her the proper safety and all those kind of things. I get a response back that says, "to be honest, I didnt even read the article, I just saw the headline and shared it because I know people who use ecigs." Note that the headline said something along the lines of THERE IS SOMETHING IN E-CIGARETTES THAT MAY BE LETHAL! If you actually read the article it goes into how nicotine is dangerous and that ecig users "tend to leave their bottles laying around where kids can get ahold of them." Where do they even get the data that we are so careless we just leave it laying around? This {MODERATED} is getting passed around freaking people out AND PEOPLE ARNT EVEN READING THE ACTUAL ARTICLE! How can you read a headline and make your mind up and even read any of the material? It just amazes me how easily the media can take half truths and spin it into mass panic. Rant done.

Sent from my GS3

Last edited by a moderator:

jmur

Aggie AND Moon's Acct., on retainer for Beckyblue
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Connecticut
Well said. Unfortunately these articles are becoming more and more prevalent. It looks like an uphill battle as the media appears to be in lockstep with BT and BP. Not surprising. I think the biggest thing we all can do is to stay vocal and try to educate to the truth of this issue. Like I said, big uphill battle...

AveryW

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
KY, USA
This is the third time I've seen this article getting passed around. I'm starting to feel that being vocal just isn't enough. It's like as soon as i clear someone up on this subject. They come right back a few days later with a new article that only talks circles around itself and claims it as "new evidence"

Sent from my GS3

Elby28

Apr 9, 2014
San Antonio, tx
Heh... My husband (never a smoker, therefore not a vaper) saw the same title and took a jab - the first since I started vaping. He was very supportive when I started two months ago, so I didn't get too upset until I realized he hadn't read the article (which I had, and had the same feeling you did about it). Told him, with as much love as I could, that he ought to read the article before switching teams, because if he had, he'd realize that our dogs and nephew are safe from the liquid because I keep it put up and out of arms/mouths reach. He said he'd read thoroughly from now on. Just wish others would too.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
THERE IS SOMETHING IN WATER THAT MAY BE LETHAL!

(Btw; wrong forum; this should be in news and media)

This is no way unique to ecigs, it's just standard 'news' that started decades ago with the rag newspapers using sensationalism and eyecatching headlines.

Headlines with 'could' 'might' 'may'; they could say anything and cannot be successfully sued because the headline didn't actually make a definitive claim;

"Politicians" (or what passes for politicians nowadays) use the same technique or sounding like they're saying something without actually saying something definitive

Chelonian

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
Upper East TN
This is the endemic problem with the American public.

It's too much effort for 80% of the populace to read.

Just look at the news in general - it's sad all around.

When you have to listen to NPR and BBC America to get decent coverage of important topics because the major news outlets would rather cover frivolities and polarizing topics just to get enough ratings to survive....

DoMortas

ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2014
NY
I read that article too, then promptly wrote them an email with a link to an article in Discover that shows real data and studies on the positive effects of nicotine.. You know.. The ones the media never talks about..

If anyone is up for a good read without the cheap scare tactics used by mainstream media, here is the article..
http://discovermagazine.com/2014/march/13-nicotine-fix/

Last edited:

AveryW

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
KY, USA
The very first thing I did when I started this was show it all to my kids. I then explained to them that my PV was to help me quit smoking and was not a toy. I told them they were not to touch any of my supplies and if they did they would be in trouble. Then I proceeded to put all my supplies faaaaar out of reach. Three and a half months later, they still haven't touched any of it and I havnt had a single incident yet. The media acts like that if you do anything that has nicotine, you're instantly a terrible person/parent and your rights deserve to be trampled into the mud.

Sent from my GS3

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Some reporters don't let facts get in the way of sensationalist journalism, unfortunately.

ETA My favorite story, sorry I can’t find it now, was one about how kids were taking the cigarette out of ecigs and putting other “stuff” in there then using them in the school bathrooms but teachers couldn't tell because the stuff was being vaporized. :blink: Who makes this stuff up?

Last edited:

AveryW

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
KY, USA
This is the endemic problem with the American public.

It's too much effort for 80% of the populace to read.

Just look at the news in general - it's sad all around.
It just amazes me that people have gotten so lazy that they can't even make it past one sentence... If I read some headline about toilet paper that makes me think, then I would read the article. I don't go and make assumptions that toilet paper is the #1 cause of heart disease!

Sent from my GS3

leerm8680

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2008
Washington State
THERE IS SOMETHING IN WATER THAT MAY BE LETHAL!

In my office I have a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for water. It's not as safe a material as you think. It both displaces oxygen and is directly responsible for the growth of cancer cells.

===

There is an amount of spin on almost any statement that does not involve a math equation. We must remember that the main objective of 'journalists' is not to report the news, but to sell advertising for their paper/magazine/show/website. It needs to be sensational; they need to be the one breaking the story. It's rather easy to ignore inconvenient facts and pump up the glitzy parts of a story.

To the modern media it is all about the money. They need to grab your attention and pull you in. Conjure up the fears and create 'facts' out of myth. You will get the doom and gloom, but you don't get a lot of original source material; only opinion with the occasional (selected) quote from an 'expert' or 'the man on the street". You certainly won't get any links to the Annual Report of the American Association of Poison Control Centers’ National Poison Data System (NPDS), or a recommendation to check out page 221 of the report. :2c:

AveryW

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
KY, USA
To the modern media it is all about the money. They need to grab your attention and pull you in. Conjure up the fears and create 'facts' out of myth. You will get the doom and gloom, but you don't get a lot of original source material; only opinion with the occasional (selected) quote from an 'expert' or 'the man on the street". You certainly won't get any links to the Annual Report of the American Association of Poison Control Centers’ National Poison Data System (NPDS), or a recommendation to check out page 221 of the report. :2c:

I'll have to check this out when I get home from work. Can't download a pdf that easy on my phone.

Sent from my GS3

AveryW

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2014
KY, USA
I will always flood the posters timeline with links, articles, and blogs to the contrary. And I do mean flood, there is a lot of good stuff to link to. I find people dont repost the junk again after that.

Maybe this is what I'm gonna have to start doing, im so sick of all this anti-vaping mass hysteria!

Sent from my GS3

coalyard

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Rome, NY, USA
I've never been one to trust anything the media says, but what I see about the ecigs makes my distrust that much worse. If they're willing to lie about something that is helping so many people, what else are they willing to lie about?

Sent from my GS3

Well, the New York Times lied about Stalin starving 9 million or so Ukrainians to death for example, and won a Pulitzer for it. I won't allow that filthy rag in my house.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
I've never been one to trust anything the media says, but what I see about the ecigs makes my distrust that much worse. If they're willing to lie about something that is helping so many people, what else are they willing to lie about?

Sent from my GS3
Oh..there is a definite science to pushing an agenda...whatever that agenda may be

How people read online: Why you won’t finish this article.

New Poynter Eyetrack research reveals how people read news on tablets | Poynter.

Almost doesn't matter what the meat of the story is...the headline and the first few lines are the most important in context and what people will take away from the story...then they regurgitate it because hey it's "the news"

News is bad for you

and got "news" for you...it's not just e-cigs this works with ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread