So I bought a single 18650 for now..

Status
Not open for further replies.

swampcrawler

Apr 26, 2019
I have a thread below about choosing a 21700 setup, which I still plan to do. But in my local B&M the other day, I mentioned wanting a mech, and the manager hooked me up with a deal I couldn’t refuse.

It’s “old school” hardware that has been sitting for years. Not many people buy mechs anymore. So I got a good price drop and took it. It’s a Ravens Moon Cam mod with a Tugboat v3. I like it, but I’m having one issue.

This tugboat built to hit how I like, doesn’t hold enough juice. I get 4 hits from freshly dripped to dessert dry. I’m used to getting at least 6-10 good hits from a 24mm RDA.

Anyone have a suggestion for a 22mm rda or RTA that holds a bit more juice (deeper well, more cotton)?

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Not many people buy mechs anymore.
People who buy mechs don't tend to very often go to visit places that are fraught with regulated mod apostles so you need to be able to look in some different circles if you want to see the light.
Anyone have a suggestion for a 22mm rda or RTA that holds a bit more juice (deeper well, more cotton)?
Check out the Twisted Messes RDA² (TMSquared). It has a 5.5mm juice well, and, both the flavor performance and the build quality are outstanding.

Reactions: stols001

Cooperant

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2018
Everyone might have a different solution. Mine was moving to single coil RDA's and simple wires. They use less juice. For your single 18650, switching to single coils with a simpler wire can get you a day to a day and a half of frequent use on a single charge.

You could greatly increase the available space for juice in your current RDA by reducing your coil inner diameter and wire size. This would up your resistance as well, but that might not be too bad on your first mech.

Why this advice? Well, a. I'm no good on double coil RDA's any more, b. Your build troubles me a little, those coils are really close to the edges of this RDA. Centering them a bit more would already be a good precaution.

On a 22 mm dual coil RDA with complex wire builds, it will be harder to find enough space for putting extra juice. A solution might be looking for an RDA with a high set airflow so you can overdrip a little. Have you tried the elder dragon by wotofo? The 510 pin also protrudes nicely on that one, which is a plus.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
This is the reason why I moved to squonking...
About 99.99999% of the time I don't squonk because,
  1. I don't very often have the time and patience to wait for my wicks to suck the juice up all the way from the bottom of the deck so, instead, I end up dripping straight on top of my coils/wicks so frequently as a result it kind of completely defeats the whole purpose of squonking anyway in the first place.
  2. Immediately as soon as the squonk bottle is nearing half empty, it becomes a royal PITA to squeeze the right amount of juice into the RDA so either I end up oversquonking it or I end up getting dry-ish hits often. As a result from this, I constantly end up dripping on my squonker to prevent the squonk bottle from nearing half empty. By dripping, I am capable to accurately feel how much juice I dump down the middle of the drip tip, even with my eyes closed.
  3. I don't very often have the time and patience to refill the squonk bottle, and, I'm way too lazy to clean out a squonk bottle. Either I find that the previous used flavor still lingers in there, or all the extra cleaning just makes me go bananas.
  4. Several of the RDAs that I like don't come with a BF pin, or else I can't buy a BF pin separately for them.
  5. Squonking doesn't let me use my favorite mods.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
People who complain about your build should try to educate theirself properly before they will resort to preaching on others. There is enough space there for it to be perfectly safe in this regard so you can safely diregard those kinds of nonsensical remarks from the coil police because they simply don't know how to build advanced coils.

Cooperant

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2018
People who complain about your build should try to educate theirself properly before they will resort to preaching on others. There is enough space there for it to be perfectly safe in this regard so you can safely diregard those kinds of nonsensical remarks from the coil police because they simply don't know how to build advanced coils.

Or that, that might well be true. Me, I've always been scared of big coils on mechs and fear is a bad advisor ;-)

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
People who buy mechs don't tend to very often go to visit places that are fraught with regulated mod apostles so you need to be able to look in some different circles if you want to see the light.
So Quoth the apostle of the unregulated.

Understanding the regulated vs unregulated argument is useful in this case. I’m going to assume you mostly do already. If not you should probably do so. The message of the regulated can be boiled down quite a bit for these purposes: “Please be very very careful”
Check out the Twisted Messes RDA² (TMSquared). It has a 5.5mm juice well, and, both the flavor performance and the build quality are outstanding.
The twisted mess advice is actually good. Getting more more loosely fluffed cotton into the juice well will also help. Downside of the twisted mess is it has a milled on drip tip that can get hot. You may find yourself cleaning a certain amount of baked saliva off the sides. Also the twisted mess relies hard on its o-rings to keep that well from leaking, so your o-rings need to remain in top condition.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
gonna go as old school as I go for this one: “physician heal thyself”
It’s a quote.

• Agree
Reactions: sonicbomb

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Or that, that might well be true. Me, I've always been scared of big coils on mechs and fear is a bad advisor ;-)
I have nothing against those who prefer simple round wire or simple parallel round wire builds, as I don't go around telling people they should vape how I prefer to vape. But not too long ago I saw someone in a different discussion thread having coil stability issues with a radiator coil build that is essentially just a very basic adaptation of a simple round wire build, and, to be completely fair, I should probably add that,
  1. in a (cleanly built) fused clapton coil build or alien coil build, for example, if we can assume that the hot spots have been worked out and the coil build has been verified stable, the wrap wire that is used to fuse the core wires together also helps to prevent the coil from short circuiting on itself, as the wrap wire has only very little current flowing through it, and,
  2. for me, personally, the vastly increased total surface area of the coil in cohort with the countless tiny cavities and crevasses through which juice can flow and, during the evaporation process, get sucked from the cotton into the coil (thereby cooling the cotton wick and also cooling the metal that touches the wick on the inside of the coil), that I have been experiencing especially with aliens and framed aliens, and with many other coil builds that offer similar fast-adsorption characteristics instead of are letting just the cotton itself do the wicking of the juice into the coil, are paramount. Else, the metal just has a tendency to sear as the metal doesn't disperse the heat fast enough across the juice that surrounds it. Strong enough stable enough airflow that is focused enough directly enough onto the coil also is paramount in addition to this. As air gets sucked into an RDA, after the air collides with the coil it cools the coil, it cools the juice everywhere that's boiling everywhere around the coil, and also it speeds up the evaporation process thereby it increases the cooling effect just like a fridge also uses evaporation to create more cooling effect.
So in a nutshell, people who urge you to believe high wattage vaping should be associated with really big coils and/or with flaming your throat are people who live in a bubble. They haven't a clue of what's out there.

swampcrawler

Apr 26, 2019
OP, you could try the scottish roll wicking method, I hear good things about its ability to hold a lot of juice.

If motor-mouth knuckleboys dulcet tones are not to your liking, just google it for others advice of how to make them.

Kinda lost a lot of respect for tip trippers with his car video. He’s got that inline v6. o_O

Thanks though. I had forgotten that was a thing.

Cooperant

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2018
Something kept scratching at the back of my mind. I just came across the Wotofo the troll V2, 10 mm deep juicewell, adjustable airflow, adjustable 510. The reviews are favorable and it's cheap. The velocity deck makes for easy building too. It's been out for a while though. I imagine it would have to be ordered from China by now. Fasttech and Gearbest still stock it.

The downsides for this one are that it's a bit sticky on the o-rings since there's three around the base. Juicing them up or removing one helps. The engraving of the trollface on it can also scare some away.

I seem to have just Wotofo ideas. It's by no means my favourite brand.

Personally I don't mind the juice capacity of my drippers too much. I always carry one of those 10 ml unicorn bottles. Being in Europe and having to get my nicotine in these, I always have plenty around and they reuse well (no leaks to date, reusing a few months per bottle). Most of my RDA's allow for easy dripping through the drip tip so after a few hits I simply drip some more juice in.

Reactions: dripster

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Kinda lost a lot of respect for tip trippers with his car video. He’s got that inline v6. o_O

Thanks though. I had forgotten that was a thing.
The only reason why I haven't lost my respect for him is simply because I never actually had any respect for him to begin with. The same also applies to those who are desperately trying to keep his old nonsense alive by linking to his bogus videos. ;)

Reactions: Cooperant

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
The same also applies to those who are desperately trying to keep his old nonsense alive by linking to his bogus videos. ;)
Not desperation but convenience, it was the first that came up in my search. I don't care if you respect me, but your arrogance and attempts to antagonise me are becoming tiresome. Please stop.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Something kept scratching at the back of my mind. I just came across the Wotofo the troll V2, 10 mm deep juicewell, adjustable airflow, adjustable 510. The reviews are favorable and it's cheap. The velocity deck makes for easy building too. It's been out for a while though. I imagine it would have to be ordered from China by now. Fasttech and Gearbest still stock it.

The downsides for this one are that it's a bit sticky on the o-rings since there's three around the base. Juicing them up or removing one helps. The engraving of the trollface on it can also scare some away.

I seem to have just Wotofo ideas. It's by no means my favourite brand.

Personally I don't mind the juice capacity of my drippers too much. I always carry one of those 10 ml unicorn bottles. Being in Europe and having to get my nicotine in these, I always have plenty around and they reuse well (no leaks to date, reusing a few months per bottle). Most of my RDA's allow for easy dripping through the drip tip so after a few hits I simply drip some more juice in.
The Troll RDA V2 was my first atomizer, I used it to stop smoking cigarettes, which was during the first quarter of 2017, and, I never was a dual user so it did help me stay 100% off cigarettes immediately from the first day of my vaping life, pretty much effortlessly in fact, and despite I had been smoking 16-17 cigarettes daily for 20+ years. After I bought a cordless drill and I got some basic coil building supplies, less than a month after I became smoke free I managed to churn out these babies that I put in it and then suddenly I was vaping on it at 140 watts enjoying what they call a warm wet dense saturated flavorful vape that actually has clouds. :D

SSFCs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread