Status
Not open for further replies.

therussellv

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Winters, Texas
...with my svd and kayfun, the proprietor was amazed, never seen anything like it. I look around, blister packs of ego/ce4 setups hanging from pegs behind the counter, juice samplers on shelves (mostly terrible). Had heard of drippers, was afraid of mechs. Spent an hour "educating" them, told them about ECF, and walked out chuckling and shaking my head.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
...with my svd and kayfun, the proprietor was amazed, never seen anything like it. I look around, blister packs of ego/ce4 setups hanging from pegs behind the counter, juice samplers on shelves (mostly terrible). Had heard of drippers, was afraid of mechs. Spent an hour "educating" them, told them about ECF, and walked out chuckling and shaking my head.

I hate to tell you this, but they will sell FAR MORE egos with clearomizers than kayfuns, etc.

As a matter of fact, worldwide, in every vape shop, the sales of spinners, ego twists, and clearos outnumber everything else.\

Being a store owner, a business owner, involves way more than being a "hobby vaper." They need to make a living stocking things that most people are gonna buy, and that are affordable to the masses.

If I had a shop, I would have *educated* you about what it is to run a business and make a profit year end. ;) They are not online sales, their biz is based on people who walk into their store. And I doubt most are walking in asking for RDAs and such.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
better they know the products they sell, then sell products they know nothing about.

It is sad that they own a B&M and arent aware of APV's at all.. let alone Mechs and RBAs.

I'm not sure its to "earn a quick buck" but I think most shops sell more in the ego category than any other, since vaping is still so new. plus, I'd venture to say, most of those using the higher end devices shop online... More selection, latest products, and free shipping for the most part at that price point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
better they know the products they sell, then sell products they know nothing about.

It is sad that they own a B&M and arent aware of APV's at all.. let alone Mechs and RBAs.

I'm not sure its to "earn a quick buck" but I think most shops sell more in the ego category than any other, since vaping is still so new. plus, I'd venture to say, most of those using the higher end devices shop online... More selection, latest products, and free shipping for the most part at that price point.

good points. I think a lot of shops really do not want liability issues, and stay away from mechanicals and RBAs and sub ohm stuff etc.

Can't say I blame 'em.

tayone415

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2013
CA
I hate to tell you this, but they will sell FAR MORE egos with clearomizers than kayfuns, etc.

As a matter of fact, worldwide, in every vape shop, the sales of spinners, ego twists, and clearos outnumber everything else.\

Being a store owner, a business owner, involves way more than being a "hobby vaper." They need to make a living stocking things that most people are gonna buy, and that are affordable to the masses.

If I had a shop, I would have *educated* you about what it is to run a business and make a profit year end. ;) They are not online sales, their biz is based on people who walk into their store. And I doubt most are walking in asking for RDAs and such.

Thinking about vaping sales throughout the world I would agree that egos and other pen style devices and clearomizers and glassomizers, would sell a lot more than any VV or VW or Mech mod and rebuildables. Out of the 13-14 shops I've been to so far about 1/4 of them are geared for people who are either basic users or people looking to take the first step to get into vaping, some have a couple of lower end mods and rebuildables and some don't. I think it also has to do with the area and the kind of vapers around. I've been to some shops that sell half regulated and half mechanical and other's that sell all mechanical except maybe 1 or 2 regulated devices. Some places I've been to the customers are mostly basic vapers and other's I've been to have more mod users than average vapers. A shop is going to sell whatever brings in the most income.

I actually met someone who owns a vape business and told me he doesn't know that much about it.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
Thinking about vaping sales throughout the world I would agree that egos and other pen style devices and clearomizers and glassomizers, would sell a lot more than any VV or VW or Mech mod and rebuildables. Out of the 13-14 shops I've been to so far about 1/4 of them are geared for people who are either basic users or people looking to take the first step to get into vaping, some have a couple of lower end mods and rebuildables and some don't. I think it also has to do with the area and the kind of vapers around. I've been to some shops that sell half regulated and half mechanical and other's that sell all mechanical except maybe 1 or 2 regulated devices. Some places I've been to the customers are mostly basic vapers and other's I've been to have more mod users than average vapers. A shop is going to sell whatever brings in the most income.

I actually met someone who owns a vape business and told me he doesn't know that much about it.

I agree, it's probably (or atleast should be) largely based on demographics.

Mechs/ rba isnt for everyone... It's a hobbyist thing IMO

Equilibrium

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2014
Georgia
I went into a new local shop not long ago and they didn't have the first mech mod, RBA or RDA. He didn't even know what kanthal was. He had only been open a few months and was selling the items that he knew about, ego's, carto's, spinners, twists, clearomizers, mvp, etc... and a decent selection of juice.
BTW... he is also a fellow vaper.

I didn't look down on the guy. He's selling what he's famillar with. At least he's not pushing gear that he knows nothing about.

I haven't been back because he doesn't sell what I need, but I'm sure I will stop back in sometime to see how he has progressed. Nice guy, new into vaping. :)

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    There seem to be a lot of shops opening up trying to make a quick buck as more people are getting in to vaping, but don't know anything about it all. The worse is when they pretend to and try to sell you something that's horrible to your standards as a vaper.

But why shouldn't they? I'm a believer in the philosophy of if you can't find a job, it's time to create your own. If a person waits until they are the worlds leading authority, they will never do it.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2014
    TX, USA
    I agree with the "if you cant find a job make one" but at the same time I dont think your ONLY goal should be making money. Or if it is, having great customer service and a great customer experience can only help you make more money... but I dont think that falls under the "quick buck" umbrella.

as always, IMO

Rule62

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Florida
    There seem to be a lot of shops opening up trying to make a quick buck as more people are getting in to vaping, but don't know anything about it all. The worse is when they pretend to and try to sell you something that's horrible to your standards as a vaper.

That's the idea; make money. That's why anybody who opens a business does, whether it's a vape shop, or any other business. Anybody who says: "I'm here for the betterment of mankind, or to rid the world of 'evil' cigarettes." is a damn liar. Those may be noble goals, but they aren't primary, if the owner wants his business to last.
    My standards as a vaper are not in the mainstream. I don't walk into a vape shop wearing a t shirt that says "I'm a professional vaper", nor do I approach the proprietor with the intention of proving to him how smart I am.
    The reality is, there are a lot of vapers out there who will never join a forum, such as ECF, nor join a local vape group, nor collect high end mods and atomizers, nor make their own juice, nor wrap their own coils. Those are my standards, as a vaper. But they're not mainstream.

swanysto

Verified Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Illinois
    I think Racehorse hit the nail on the head. Why would store owners want to worry about MODS and RBA/RDA when they could potentially harm someone(when not used properly). Then they have a lawsuit to deal with. An ego with clearomizer suits the needs of the majority. I was at a golf outing yesterday, and I saw 40-60 year old men with MVP's, ego's, and EVODS. It was fantastic to see actually, cause a golf outing is usually a cigarette smokers paradise. And they seemed to be enjoying the heck out those setups.

VaPreis

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 5, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    My wife is the manager of a successful local B&M. They carry everything from T2s and ego batteries, to high end mods and drippers.

Their bread and butter is in the clearomizers, ego batts and spinners, and e-liquid. Of course, they are happy to sell you a $200 mod if that's what you are looking for......

ECF is not a good representation of real world vapers. 99% of vapers aren't looking for that newest VW mod or RBA. They simply don't want to smoke cigarettes anymore.

A T2 on an ego does that job just fine.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread