So I'm about fed up with pod mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Be careful about leaks though. Some pods will leak, and doing so can mess up the vacuum switch. There were some posts on the Vladdin forum giving suggestions on how to keep that from happening. I got a dead one I lightheartedly hope to take apart and find out exactly why.

Yeah I participated in that discussion. Sucks when you get a DOA pod (one of mine was) but if it doesn't fail immediately it's OK. Turns out the vacuum switch and other electronics aren't endangered. Vladdin have also revised their pods recently, the old ones were clear and the new ones are frosted, but I haven't had a chance to test them yet.

Last edited:

vimagreg

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
I really can't understand why to have options and customisable setups are a bad thing... You don't need to use it at all, and if something goes wrong you always can try to solve by yourself, instead of just buy another gadget assuming the risk of making wrong choice again...

Well, the most simply and "setupless" pod I've ever seen was the juul. You just buy flavours ant nic concentrations they offer, put it in the gadget and vape it till it dies. Than the process starts again. Really can't think in anything simpler than that, if that's the OP need.

• Disagree
Reactions: ShrubOhm

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I really can't understand why to have options and customisable setups are a bad thing... You don't need to use it at all, and if something goes wrong you always can try to solve by yourself, instead of just buy another gadget assuming the risk of making wrong choice again...

Well, the most simply and "setupless" pod I've ever seen was the Juul. You just buy flavours ant nic concentrations they offer, put it in the gadget and vape it till it dies. Than the process starts again. Really can't think in anything simpler than that, if that's the OP need.
I found originally when I first started using APVs that the simple existence of multiple screens and the ability to activate them accidentally was enough to cause confusion. Also multiple buttons. Hit the wrong button and something weird happens and all of a sudden you’re deep in the land of “!:-x???”. I gave my sister a target mini which has four buttons and a bunch of features, but the first thing I did with it was set it at the recommended wattage for her coil cartridge and lock it there. No screen changes no wattage changes.

vimagreg

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
I found originally when I first started using APVs that the simple existence of multiple screens and the ability to activate them accidentally was enough to cause confusion. Also multiple buttons. Hit the wrong button and something weird happens and all of a sudden you’re deep in the land of “!:-x???”. I gave my sister a target mini which has four buttons and a bunch of features, but the first thing I did with it was set it at the recommended wattage for her coil cartridge and lock it there. No screen changes no wattage changes.
Exactly. With a pod or mod with setup options you can just freeze it in some configuration and never more change it. With a, say, Juul or you like it or you put it in a trash can and buy another thing.

But I got the point. Fortunately there are options for everyone and market for everything. I just hope the vape market continues like that, and doesn't turns out like smartphones market, in which all the options of pre-2007 era was suddenly limited to iPhone or Android gadgets, both unable to fully answer to my personal needs, for example (I still regret the death of truly Nokia devices and that super MaemoOS of mid-2009).

• Agree
Reactions: bombastinator

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Exactly. With a pod or mod with setup options you can just freeze it in some configuration and never more change it. With a, say, Juul or you like it or you put it in a trash can and buy another thing.

But I got the point. Fortunately there are options for everyone and market for everything. I just hope the vape market continues like that, and doesn't turns out like smartphones market, in which all the options of pre-2007 era was suddenly limited to iPhone or Android gadgets, both unable to fully answer to my personal needs, for example (I still regret the death of truly Nokia devices and that super MaemoOS of mid-2009).
Yeah. I went iPhone simply because there was less spyware. Not none, but android itself basically IS spyware. Really effective all encompassing down deep can’t get rid of it because it’s made entirely OF it spyware.

Problem is now my alarms suck. I need an alarm that is really loud, breaks through my dog and will NOT shut up till I take care of it loud. Like crying baby loud. I get 6 beeps and that’s it. I need more. Can’t get them though. The Psion5 had that. I really miss my psion5.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
How about a Justfog Minifit

NO adjustments...just a Fire Button...

About the size of a USB Flash Drive...about $10...very satisfying MTL experience...

Only 1.5ml. and 370 mAh...but the juice in the Pod runs out about the same time as the juice in the battery runs out...so you can easily refill it while you're quickly recharging it...

Vapecrawler

ShrubOhm

Mar 23, 2019
Fl
I'm not looking for no settings at all. Just don't need a puff counter and a rebuildable deck, or the huge menu that can get confusing for someone who isn't used to it. You'd think by some of the responses here, that you guys haven't ever seen something very complicated looking and been confused by it.

All I'm looking for is a kind of starter mod that has a real glass tank and some wattage settings. No frills.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I'm going to take a look at some of the actual suggestions I got here. Thank you to those that responded in a non-condescending way.
Simplest glass tank systems I know of are AIOs.
There’s a whole section for those around here somewhere iirc...or not. Or maybe it’s there and I can’t find it. Did find this
Standard E-Cigarette Reviews
It’s a bunch of opinions about various devices. Something there might amuse you.

• Useful
Reactions: gerrymi

ShrubOhm

Mar 23, 2019
Fl
Welcome :) Yep I agree with @Letitia you actually need a simple to use mod or pen device. A tank with drop in coils and you will be away...

The suggestions above are good or something like the Geekvape flint kit...it has three power adjustments and you can get different coils which will also help taylor you experience. Here's a link...

Flint Kit Geek Vape Online Store

Hope this helps and good luck....always someone around if you have questions :)

Yes something like that. Thank you! :)

• Love
Reactions: charlie1465

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
I knew nothing when I started vaping; in fact I never intended to stop smoking my pipe ... but my daughter and her husband who found themselves unable to smoke even in the grounds at work had switched to vaping and they bought me an e-pipe as a present, plus batteries and and Intelligent charger, so I tried it and to my surprise liked it.

I was 66 at the time and determinedly non technical.

About a month on I got fed up with the short battery life, went to the vape shop, bought the iStick 30w they recommended, took it home and fitted the attie from the epipe to it. All that I knew was that the battery on the pipe put out about 3.7 volts - so that's what I set on the iStick - and I locked it at that setting. Nautilus Mini.jpg

A couple of weeks later the wicks were black on the epipe's attie ( they'd been in there about 2 months.) Back at the vape shop they recommended a Nautilus Mini, so I bought one and a couple of packets of coils.

I left the setting at 3.7 volts and didn't even play with alterations for about a year. When I did, I actually found I got even more flavour if I set it between 6.8 and 8.00 watts.

Three and a half years later I still keep coming back to the iStick 30w at those settings with 1.6 or 1.8 Ohm coils and I use 16 -18 strength juice ( which I now make myself. )

In summary - I knew nothing when I started. I got some simple kit and locked in settings that worked. I still use and would recommend the iStick30w and an original Nautilus Mini ( glass tank) combination for a MTL Vaper interested in flavour, based on three and a half years of experience with this combo. The later models of the Nautilus did seem to have had problems, so the original is still available. I still have no difficulty getting coils for this rig, but to be on the safe side I have a stash of them.

The Zenith Tank seems to be getting a lot of love on this Forum and from reviewers. I haven't tried one but suspect it'll be as good as the original Nautilus Mini.

Hope this helps. Attached is a pic of a Nautilus Mini on an iStick ( this one is the 40w not the 30w but they are broadly similar ) which will give you an idea of the size and look of this combo.

Last edited:

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Yeah I participated in that discussion. Sucks when you get a DOA pod (one of mine was) but if it doesn't fail immediately it's OK. Turns out the vacuum switch and other electronics aren't endangered. Vladdin have also revised their pods recently, the old ones were clear and the new ones are frosted, but I haven't had a chance to test them yet.

Here is my review if you're interested..it's a great little POD :)

Vladdin RE review. How does it stack up?

ShrubOhm

Mar 23, 2019
Fl
I knew nothing when I started vaping; in fact I never intended to stop smoking my pipe ... but my daughter and her husband who found themselves unable to smoke even in the grounds at work had switched to vaping and they bought me an e-pipe as a present, plus batteries and and Intelligent charger, so I tried it and to my surprise liked it.

I was 66 at the time and determinedly non technical.

About a month on I got fed up with the short battery life, went to the vape shop, bought the iStick 30w they recommended, took it home and fitted the attie from the epipe to it. All that I knew was that the battery on the pipe put out about 3.7 volts - so that's what I set on the iStick - and I locked it at that setting. View attachment 808685

A couple of weeks later the wicks were black on the epipe's attie ( they'd been in there about 2 months.) Back at the vape shop they recommended a Nautilus Mini, so I bought one and a couple of packets of coils.

I left the setting at 3.7 volts and didn't even play with alterations for about a year. When I did, I actually found I got even more flavour if I set it between 6.8 and 8.00 watts.

Three and a half years later I still keep coming back to the iStick 30w at those settings with 1.6 or 1.8 Ohm coils and I use 16 -18 strength juice ( which I now make myself. )

In summary - I knew nothing when I started. I got some simple kit and locked in settings that worked. I still use and would recommend the iStick3ow and an original Nautilus Mini ( glass tank) combination for a MTL Vaper interested in flavour, based on three and a half years of experience with this combo. The later models of the Nautilus did seem to have had problems, so the original is still available. I still have no difficulty getting coils for this rig, but to be on the safe side I have a stash of them.

The Zenith Tank seems to be getting a lot of love on this Forum and from reviewers. I haven't tried one but suspect it'll be as good as the original Nautilus Mini.

Hope this helps. Attached is a pic of a Nautilus Mini on an iStick ( this one is the 40w not the 30w but they are broadly similar ) which will give you an idea of the size and look of this combo.

Yeah I've been looking at the eleaf mods and finding myself drawn to the istick line. Simple but still has some room for customization. I'm learning more as I go, but I definitely didn't want to go from my Smok Nord to something really complicated straight away. I'm not a cloud chaser, just want a nicotine fix in something durable and easy to maintain. Your reply helped me a lot, so thank you. My only issue now is making sure I'll be able to find coils for what I pick before I get it, because I would rather be able to go into a vape shop and get them, than to rush to buy them online when I'm on my last coil.

Reactions: Falconeer

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
A good point - I'm lucky where I live in Scotland - there are two Vape shops in the town where I live who both carry original Nautilus Coils. As NHS Scotland is in favour of Vaping as a better alternative to smoking - even the local chemist sells them now!

Because I now make my own clear unflavoured juice I get about a month and even sometimes 6 weeks out of a coil. They do last a while but I have a stash of 30 packets of coils tucked away "just in case!"

The Zenith which I mentioned, is newer so taking a guess its coils will likely be on the market even longer.

In the UK some respected Vape suppliers do sell online and even on Amazon so I do use them too.

Again - hope this helps.

• Useful

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
I don't want to sound like a Sales Rep for Natilus Minis but you mentioned customisation - I spend half of my life in Spain where hard tiled and marbled floors are the norm and where I wrote off three tanks this winter just gone - so I got the metal latticed sleeve for my tank and this is a mod I recommend doing.

When I'm out I keep it in that red hard sunglasses case with a 10 ml bottle of juice and a spare coil. Nautilus1.jpg Nautilus 2.jpg

The second picture isn't that sharp but the screen on the iStick shows all the basic info I need - how much power is left in it and that it's running at 3.4 volts pushing out 6.8 watts to a coil of 1,8 Ohms. It's locked at that.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
@ShrubOhm My review link was just in reply to @Gomuni because he seems interested. Sorry to interject on your thread :D It's the way it works here sometimes and the way healthy discussions are started.

I hope you come to a conclusion as to which simple device you are going to go for but the most important thing is to give up those killer sticks. If you go into your first purchase knowing that in a few weeks/months your view may change and you may buy something else it will help you a lot :)

Black wings

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2019
Wlts UK
You could even go with the innokin ez watt system. That adjusts the output itself to suit which coil you put into the tank.
The innokin jem is a cracker too. Just a few wattage choices and all within the capabilities of the coil in the included tank.
Pod wise, I'm enjoying the vaporesso aura. Three power choices and go.

Last edited:

vimagreg

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
I'm going to take a look at some of the actual suggestions I got here. Thank you to those that responded in a non-condescending way.
Sorry if I looked like a condescending guy, but I think there was a language problem here. Look at your title: pod mods are not simply mods. A mod is a gadget with screens, lots of adjustments and so on. Pods normally doesn't have screens, their setups are incredibly simply and their power are simpler as well. Speaking for myself, reading your title and your posts I was thinking you are "fed up" with PODS, like Nord, Breeze, Orion, and not with MODS like Vaporesso Luxe, Smoks and so on, with its big screens and lot of setups. They are a very, very different types of devices.

If you don't think my response was helpful I'm sorry, but maybe it was better to review your own post to try to understand what happened, before turn mad about it. Just my opinion. Hope you find what you're looking for. [emoji1360]

• Agree

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I'm not looking for no settings at all. Just don't need a puff counter and a rebuildable deck, or the huge menu that can get confusing for someone who isn't used to it. You'd think by some of the responses here, that you guys haven't ever seen something very complicated looking and been confused by it.

All I'm looking for is a kind of starter mod that has a real glass tank and some wattage settings. No frills.

I get it. When I first started vaping I was offered the choice between disposable clearos (basically pods of that era) cartos and tanks with replaceable coils. I was like “I don’t want to have to replace coils! I know nothing about that!” The battery was an adjustable twist vw, and even that I needed instruction on.

So I do understand. I just wasn’t sure what you were looking for.

Vaporesso makes some very simple kits in the Tarot line that might suit you. The tanks are glass and the coils are drop in and last. The mods are internal battery and vw. Nothing fancy, small and easy to carry.

Vaporesso Tarot Nano 80W TC Starter Kit | Vape Kits

There are others styles and maybe at a better price elsewhere.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Yes something like that. Thank you! :)
People keep pushing the Vladdin hard here. It does have its points:

Pros:
1) it’s an automatic buttonless system
1a) it’s also light enough and has a squared off tip that you can hold it in your mouth and vape hands free. This is actually kind of huge. Hands free vaping is what makes auto switches worth having.
2) it produces a fair amount of vapor for its size. You don’t always even need protonated nic to get a decent vape off it.

Cons:
1) pod manufacturing consistency. Sometimes the pods work really well, sometimes they don’t, sometimes they don’t work at all. This luckily is something that the manufacturer should be able to deal with pretty quickly and well. It may have even already happened.
2) it can leak. In particular those less than perfect pods. There are apparently ways to mitigate this, but it’s an issue.
2a) IF it leaks the juice can get into the automatic switch chamber and ruin the functionality of the device. Like 1a is much better than 1, 2a is also much worse than 2.

History:
Non functional auto switches are what killed auto vapes in the first place. It used to be EVERYTHING was automatic. The problem was the auto switches were so unreliable due to leaking issues that everyone went to buttons.
If you can’t make a reliable auto switch there no point in even making an auto vape. If you CAN though (and people are doing it now) they will probably dominate.

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread